Bundling

pjw1967

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
The Woodlands, TX
A bit of a ramble here, but I really could use some advice. Long time Dish Network user (1998). All in all, no big complaints. But it's geting expensive. Like $125.00/mo and no premium channels. When you add in Comcast high speed Internet at $75.00, and an ATT land line for $60.00, you're staring at a big chunk. My brother moved in 2 doors away and got Uverse for tv and Internet only. Uverse Internet is much slower than Comcast. He got Magic Jack for the phone (new version) but it can't fax (at least he can't make it). So I see this flyer for "The Ultimate Bundle" for $90.00 for first 12 months. Directv, Internet, and ATT phone. This is not Uverse. I think the ATT landline folks run this bundle. Even if it doubles for the second year, it's still a helluva lot cheaper than what I have. So does Directv offer the ability to add on hard drives, something I really use? It says it's a whole house DVR (I have a 922, 722, 211). I like the Sling capability of the 922, but I wouldn't miss it. I'd like to wait for the Hopper, as it seems to bring some new features. So what do you all think? I am going to cut and paste this into the Directv forum as well. Thanks.

One thing to watch out for is what kind of Internet is in that ultimate bundle. If it's FIOS, you're golden. If it's DSL, it'll likely be significantly slower than cable Internet and, depending on where you live, possibly less reliable depending on the quality of the phone lines in your area (In some areas, they've badly deteriorated- like I used to have a land line and would get static on the line). But you might be happy with DSL depending on what you use your Internet for and how the phone lines are in your area- maybe ask around and see if any friends in the neighborhood have and how it is for them (You said your friend says slower- Is it just slower? Or does it actually drop out and have reliability issues? Internet with reliability issues is hard to deal with at any speed.). Also take into account your own web surfing habits and what you're doing- a slower speed might not be bad for checking e-mail or satellite guys, but if you're streaming movies, it could be bad.

The other thing to watch for in a multi-year contract, if that's what it is, is the price of the second year (Which might be worth because the initial promo is so awesome, but you want to make sure it's at least reasonable and that you will be able to pay it when the time comes). Also check to make sure the channels you watch are carried by the new provider.

Basically, though, if you can live with the Internet downgrade, might be a good deal. Definitely something I'd consider in your shoes. Your current bills are well above what I'd be willing to pay. And, honestly, if the system is that providers aren't loyal enough to their long-term customers to offer them the best deals, and instead give the good rates to new customers, it makes logical sense to try to be a new customer somewhere as often as expiring contract commitments allow you to- as long as you can deal with the hassle of switching (Which sometimes really is a major hassle).

You could always come back to Dish, probably at a new customer rate, when whatever contract you sign expires, if that's what you want to do. If you don't have to agree to a contract with the new provider, you could even switch back at the end of the 12 month promo.

You could switch the phone to voip. I use Vonage and pay $17/mo include tax for 300 minutes. How many receivers do you have? Could you cut back there. I've got a 722 and a 211 with the 250 plan and only pay $82/mo.

I would take the time to inbestigate all options.
Just upgraded my VZ DSL to the 3-7 meg service. Imcluding phone (unlimited LD and 5 free add ons) year one ends up being 49.99 plus taxes and fees. Year 2 plus will b $5 higher...
Again just depends on your needs and internet habits.
I have a magic jack as well and no it wont send faxes reliably.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

i just went with the dish bundle in ne nebraska. should be hooked up 1/16 so don't know how the service on internet will be yet but quest was so slow dish could not be slower. rep said i would be in the mid 70's for phone, family dish and internet. i do like one bill instead of multiple bills. and i have a bud in the yard so that is why we dropped 250 to family and ended up paying the same... without the 65 phone bill now. charlie

You put in your first post that you have Comcast for broadband, why not check them out for bundled service, I have had them for almost 2 years now since I left Directv, I have all the reg. cable channels, HBO, Starz, 2 HD DVRs, 2 HD Boxes, 25/2 broadband and phone and I pay $154.00 a month and that is my 2nd year rate, it was $30 cheaper a month in the first year.

Now before this becomes a bash Comcast thread, I live in a rebuilt Comcast area, get just as many HD channels as Dish and more then Directv (like BBC for example which D# does not have and Disney which E# does not have), I have the newer boxes which work very good, the HD picture is just a tad under the quality of D# and I really love the On Demand which works great (and based on what I read here, it works a lot better then Dish's Blockbuster download service).

Check out what Comcast is like in your area, they still have a lot of areas that have not built up yet.

A bit of a ramble here, but I really could use some advice. Long time Dish Network user (1998). All in all, no big complaints. But it's geting expensive. Like $125.00/mo and no premium channels. When you add in Comcast high speed Internet at $75.00, and an ATT land line for $60.00, you're staring at a big chunk. My brother moved in 2 doors away and got Uverse for tv and Internet only. Uverse Internet is much slower than Comcast. He got Magic Jack for the phone (new version) but it can't fax (at least he can't make it). So I see this flyer for "The Ultimate Bundle" for $90.00 for first 12 months. Directv, Internet, and ATT phone. This is not Uverse. I think the ATT landline folks run this bundle. Even if it doubles for the second year, it's still a helluva lot cheaper than what I have. So does Directv offer the ability to add on hard drives, something I really use? It says it's a whole house DVR (I have a 922, 722, 211). I like the Sling capability of the 922, but I wouldn't miss it. I'd like to wait for the Hopper, as it seems to bring some new features. So what do you all think? I am going to cut and paste this into the Directv forum as well. Thanks.

If you would like to PM me your account information I can take a look and see if there are any options available through DISH Network.

What do you have for $125 a month from Dish?
Cut and pasted directly from my on line acct:
Movie Pass 10.00

America's Top 250

HD Receiver

HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver

DVR Service

Protection Plan

HD 250 Free ($10/Mo)

Superstation KTLA

Superstation WPIX

Superstation KWGN

Starz - 30th Anniv

Total
$ 125.99

pjw1967 said:
Cut and pasted directly from my on line acct:
Movie Pass 10.00

America's Top 250

HD Receiver

HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver

DVR Service

Protection Plan

HD 250 Free ($10/Mo)

Superstation KTLA

Superstation WPIX

Superstation KWGN

Starz - 30th Anniv

Total
$ 125.99

Why is your dvr fee $10?? Do you have a 922??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)