GEOSATpro Burning a TS file to a DVD

I'm using Win X converter but I don't know if it's free...I've had it a long long time.

How long does it take you to burn a DVD for something like a 3 hour hockey game?

A google search for Win X converter brought me to winxdvd.com, which has many different products, one of which says it will create a home video DVD from video files and is free (Winx DVD author). It says it takes for input these formats: MKV, M2TS, M4V, AVI, ASF, MP4, MPEG, MOD, MOV, WMV, FLV (YouTube), RM, RMVB, Xivd, DviX, H264, 3GP, OGG, QT, VOB, etc. So is TS format the same as M2TS? I guess one way to find out would be to download it and just try it out.

I've only burned a .ts file that was a 1 1/2 hour movie and it only took a few minutes I think. I had a standard 20x dvd burner in my desktop and used DVD-r disc. I don't know if M2TS is the same as a .TS file.

If you burn a .ts file directly to a Blu-ray disc, can standalone Blu-ray players read it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport_stream#Use_in_Blu-ray

As Dfergie said above, the program to use for a Blu-Ray is MultiAVCHD. It will usually create a compliant Blu-Ray layout without the need to reencode the .TS file, as long as the stream has a "legal" resolution, frame rate and data rate (non-3D Blu-Ray has a ceiling of around 40 megabits, if a feed is higher it would require reencoding).

Blu-Ray is more forgiving as to what is considered compliant than DVD is. Most SD .TS streams would have to be reencoded to work properly on DVD.

EDIT: To clarify, a .TS file cannot simply be burned to the root of a Blu-Ray disc and be expected to be recognized as a video Blu-Ray disc. The disc must be authored as a Blu-Ray video disc, with the appropriate layout and folder structure. MultiAVCHD will build a Blu-Ray video disc layout and properly add the imported .TS file.

Last edited:
...To clarify, a .TS file cannot simply be burned to the root of a Blu-Ray disc and be expected to be recognized as a video Blu-Ray disc. The disc must be authored as a Blu-Ray video disc, with the appropriate layout and folder structure. MultiAVCHD will build a Blu-Ray video disc layout and properly add the imported .TS file.
You're the man ! Thanks.

As Dfergie said above, the program to use for a Blu-Ray is MultiAVCHD. It will usually create a compliant Blu-Ray layout without the need to reencode the .TS file, as long as the stream has a "legal" resolution, frame rate and data rate (non-3D Blu-Ray has a ceiling of around 40 megabits, if a feed is higher it would require reencoding).

Blu-Ray is more forgiving as to what is considered compliant than DVD is. Most SD .TS streams would have to be reencoded to work properly on DVD.

EDIT: To clarify, a .TS file cannot simply be burned to the root of a Blu-Ray disc and be expected to be recognized as a video Blu-Ray disc. The disc must be authored as a Blu-Ray video disc, with the appropriate layout and folder structure. MultiAVCHD will build a Blu-Ray video disc layout and properly add the imported .TS file.

Just looked MultiAVCHD up.........and its FREE too! :D

MultiAVCHD is a great utility, and I use it all the time for Blu-Ray authoring. Unfortunately, it hasn't had an update in some time. I'm not sure the programmer is still working on it.

Since the original question was to make a DVD, let me suggest ConvertXtoDVD.
It's not free, but maybe an older version can be found on the 'net.
Takes about two hours to make/burn whatever you've got into a DVD (on my dual-Opteron server).
It does re-encode as required.

You might want to edit out the commercials, and for that, not much touches VideoReDo.
However, it's not free.
They have two versions.
One can handle more exotic input formats, and makes DVDs (if you wish).
The other just edits.
You might find recommendations for other tools on their forum.

As for MultiAVCHD, I took a look at it several years ago when it was mentioned on the VideoReDo forum.
At that time, it was of no use to me, and looked very difficult to master.
Of course, with better documentation, anything can be made to work. :)

I do record HD OTA on a Vista Media Center, edit with VideoReDo, and then write to DVD data discs in the original mpeg2 format.
I have a friend with a Samsung BluRay player which will handle that format just fine.
Sony and some other brands want a proper bluray format disc, and won't play 'em.
I can edit a one hour TV show (8gb) down to 42 minutes minus the commercials, and it fits fine on a single layer DVD platter.
That's still in 1080, and was not re-encoded.

Three hours of video probably won't fit on a DVD without some compromise in quality.
A one hour show (minus commercials) is the maximum without some form of re-encoding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)