Burning up in the south

Status
Please reply by conversation.

turbosat

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Oneonta,AL
Is anybody else stuck in this high-heat cycle? We've had mid to upper 90's for 3 weeks or more now, little rain. Gardens are burning up from the scorching sun, the ground is cracking open as bad as I've ever seen here. I fear my big dishes are going to start shifting! Well, that only happened once in the past when I had up a 12' dish and didnt use enough concrete, but the earth is really dry and cracking.
Rabbits come in to the yard when we water the flowers, one even started resting in one of the flower beds, in the late evening after we water the plants.
Anybody else out there having their dishes shift or fall, or other problems with the high temperatures?

Attachments

• 00016.jpg
    00016.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 211
Instead of watering your flowers and attracting rabbits, maybe you should water your BUD.
No telling what'd show up! - :cool:
At least I assume the ground wouldn't crack, if it had a bit of H2O.
Maybe toss around some sawdust, dried grass, hay, or similar, just to hold in the moisture?

Same basic weather here in Ohio. Low 90's high humidity not much rain. I got out of bed this morning at 4:15 and the temp was 72, and very muggy. The humidity in July and August here is usually miserable...great for the tomatoes though....Blind

You guys in the low humidity areas are lucky. Here in the south when it is 90-100 degrees with humidity at 75 to 90 percent, it is almost unbearable. If you move, you sweat. I spent some time in the southern Calif. desert back in the 60's where it was over 100 degrees a lot of the time but the humidity was real low. Just had to drink a lot of water. It didn't bother me near as much as here in Tennessee with all the humidity, especially now that I'm getting older. Of course, back then I was about twenty something and in the military so that could have been a factor. Stay cool, you all!

Here in upstate NY it's been in the 90s for weeks without rain. Temps topped 100° several days. The only relief seems to be from brief thunderstorms, even then the rain only lasts for 20-30 minutes. The lawns are brown and even some trees losing leaves.

So hot here in Mississippi. Last week I was mowing my yard using my riding mower. I stopped to eat dinner. Afterward, I got back on my riding mower. I almost got a blistered ass from that seat!!!

In the car, I've been having to put a towel on the steering wheel lately. The seats are fabric, so fortunately no problem like the one MrFTAMan had ;) ...

96° 4% humidity wind sustained 24.2 MPH gust 38.7 mph.... Just a normal July - well, actually a little cooler than normal. AND i am up NORTH.

rv1pop,

Are you in the desert? I'm near Spokane (Northeast of you) and we've only been in the 80's a few times this summer. We are definitely cooler than normal too.

Norman

Well we are kinda on the desert. We are 5 miles north and 1500 feet above the Columbia River and 7 miles northeast of the "Wind Surfing Capital of the World" so they say. We are 10 miles east of HWY 97. Yesterday it got up to 102.4. But the humiditiy was higher also at 8%. Wind gust was only 34.6 sustained about the same at about 22 mph. Today was considerably cooler but the wind was definitely stronger averaging just below 30 mph.

Somewhere in the dish farm thread I posted pictures --- 45 miles of flatland south-southeast of us. We can not quite see Richland from here.
POP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts