Burnt off pin from Satellite Cable

suncowiam

Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
California
Hi everyone,

I have a dish network set top box and the center pin of the cable coming from the satellite dish has been burning off.

The same dish is feeding two other dish set top box and those are fine. Could this set top box be bad?

Thanks

Burning off?

got a picture?

scenario I could potentially see ... 19volts is sent down the line to power the LNB (Low Noise Block) which actually receives the satellite signals ... a short center in the coax I could see maybe arcing a little bit causing a slight bit of discoloration etc.... but have never heard of it happening with standard installs..

there are a bunch of installers on the site ... maybe one of them will chime in ... otherwise.. still would love to see a picture!!

I had that problem with cable from ota antenna to amp. The center wire burned clear off and the connector on the amp got real hot. I soldered the end of the new wire so it would fit more snugly in the amp. connector and no more trouble.

it is not corrosion as i recently installed the cable.

here are some pics.

my acount # is (REMOVED)

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20111230_131328.jpg
    IMG_20111230_131328.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_20111230_131401.jpg
    IMG_20111230_131401.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 331
Last edited by a moderator:
To me it appears the connector was not correctly installed. It also looks like a "twist on" that possibly had some braid touching the center conductor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)