Bury the cable?

menelfloss

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
So, I had a new HD dish installed late last fall, and we already had snow. The dish is installed on my garage, and the thick double cable at one point goes ariel over my patio.
I want to bury a portion of it to get it out of sight.
Anybody ever bury that stuff? Is there any way it could screw up signal? It looks like it would last a hundred years under ground to me.

Mike

You should really get flooded cable, which is like regular cable but has this stickey goo inside of it to help protect the cable so water cannot wick through it.

With that said, just bury the existing cable you got now and be done with it. If you don't accidently cut it chances are very slim that you will have to replace it.

I've had mine buried now for a couple of years, with no ill effects. Matter of fact, there is close to 50 feet of it buried.

I bury the cable all the time up here in AK, due to alot of pole mounts. I have never had issues, but I do usually put the cable in PVC conduit which is cheap and makes replacing the cable a snap if necessary.
MB

I've got closed to 150' of cable buried in conduit, it works fine. Just make sure you bury it under the frost line (I think... someone from a place that it regularly snows back me up)

Thanks for all the answers you guys,
Since I live in Minneapolis (where it snowed 6 inches yesterday), not sure how deep I would need to go to get below frost.
Anyway, I'm thinking I'm diggin it in.
Mike

Since I live in Minneapolis (where it snowed 6 inches yesterday), not sure how deep I would need to go to get below frost.
Anyway, I'm thinking I'm diggin it in.
There's *no* reason to bury it below the frost line. In Ohio, that's 24-36" .... in MN it will be deeper ! You can use your shovel to stab the ground a few inches, "bend" it back, and use that "trench" for your cable and it will be perfectly okay. As long as you know it's there and don't cut it when digging later, that depth is fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)