Businessweek: Dish Starts Falling to Earth

Dish needs to adobt the WalMart plan if they want to survive.

LOWER THE PRICES AND SELL MORE.

Enough of this nickle and dime BS.

Get rid of the DVR fees.

and get rid of the HD progrmaming fees as well. Why are we paying TWICE for the exact same programming when Dish gets the HD feeds included with the SD channels?
Good point. And why not offer a package with HD feeds, plus channels that only have SD feeds? Right now, you pay twice, if you want every channel. Just a thought. Maybe I'm wrong.

I believe this refers to a 15% increase in Dish's churn, not a loss of 15% of Dish's customer base.

The statement is miss-leading. If Dish added 100000 customers last year and the loss of customers was 5000 would be a 2% loss then this year they add 50000 customers and lose 8500 customers that would be a 17% loss. That would be a 15% difference. Since the customer count is about 13.8 million the gain in customers would be 150000 or about a 1% increase over 2 years with a loss of 13500 customers or .09%.

When you look at the numbers that way it doesn't sound bad at all.

The statement is miss-leading. If Dish added 100000 customers last year and the loss of customers was 5000 would be a 2% loss then this year they add 50000 customers and lose 8500 customers that would be a 17% loss. That would be a 15% difference. Since the customer count is about 13.8 million the gain in customers would be 150000 or about a 1% increase over 2 years with a loss of 13500 customers or .09%.

And a corporation using statistics to cloud reality surprises you because…?

I like Dish however.......

Get rid of the fees, offer me foreign channels without bundles, pay off senators so we can get locals from any city, al la carte, turn on all the features available on the VIP boxes like multiroom DVR sharing. Dish should go back to being cutting edge. Go ahead and nickel and dime us on programming, not features.

The technology is all there, too many rules and regulations imposed by the ones who preach less Government intrusion in our lives.

Get Real Corporations! We all hurt in this economy together, including you!

While these are far from the best of times at Dish, it is hardly "losing altitude faster than a falling satellite." This piece is just more evidence of how many of these "market watchers" are really mouth-pieces for the opposition. Do these folks get some form of secret compensation from those who benifit from such trash talking? In this case, one has to wonder if the cable companies or Direct TV perhaps even suggested such a piece, as many reporters and columnists are spoon-fed stories for publication.

Is it too much to ask for same fair and honest (yes, Dish is at, perhaps, the most challenging point in its history since the far more dire situation on day one of operations) without tipping the hand that feeds these exaggerated pieces? For the most part, it certainly seems that way.

No. Not quite. Your numbers don't seem to make sense at all. What are your number supposed to be percentages of, the total number of installed users? The number of new subs in the period? Something else? You seem to be subtracting the percentage from one period from the percentage in another and calling that difference an x% difference.

15% difference, are you sure about that?

they state "Dish has opened a new service center to help counter a 15% jump in subscriber defections." which would equal a loss of 2,070,000 customers. Is that number correct?

No guys you are making this a lot harder than it has to be. All the article is saying is that the number of subs leaving in the second period is 15% higher than those that left in the prior period. That could mean that 100 left in the first period and 115 in the second or it could mean that 10,000, 000 left in the first period and 11,500,000 left in the second. Both show a 15% increase in the number of subscriber defections. We are mixing up a lot of differnt concepts her instead of just looking at what he said. There is an increse in the number of people leaving. He is not talking about the difference between 2% and 17% and he is not saying that 15% of the total subs left.

Last edited:
My bill a few years back used to be 79.99 for AEP and 84.99 with locals. Now essentially for the same thing, but now has some HD channels, it is about 120. Every year Dish socks AEP with a huge increase, it used to be a bargain, now it is not.

Why does Dish charge $7 instead of $5/month for extra HD receivers? Because they can
Why does Dish now charge $5.99 instead of $1.99 for warrantee? Because they can
Why does Dish even charge for service when they own the boxes? Because they can
Why does Dish charge a DVR fee for evey DVR if you do not have AEP? Because they can
Why does Dish charge $10/month for the HD version of channels you already subcribe to? Because they can

Dish used to have a commercial about all the fees cable companies charged. Now they make cable companies look good. And Dish wonders why subscriber growth is dropping off so fast. It used to be lower cost with a better picture. Now DIRECTV is ahead in the better picture department and Dish's advantage in price over cable is gone.

The question now should be: Why bother subscribing to Dish?

The subs they have now are the captive type. Captive because they have locals and there is no cable, and DIRECTV does not carry them. Captive because they can get by with a $20 plan. These are customers that will not have any loyalty once an alternative comes out. If DIRECTV carried my market I would have jumped ship.

I am a long time AEP sub and all these fees are tipping the scale. I am very close to dumping Dish.

dont forget the ppv's went up too 1.00 for standerd/HD viewing and direct is cheaper on this too.Dish needs to get there heads out of there ass and do someing fast before we all leave!

No. Not quite. Your numbers don't seem to make sense at all. What are your number supposed to be percentages of, the total number of installed users? The number of new subs in the period? Something else? You seem to be subtracting the percentage from one period from the percentage in another and calling that difference an x% difference.

I was using made up numbers as an example. Just trying to show how a 15% difference even with less new subs doesn't equal a whole lot. ie say 100000 new customers in 2007 and lost 2000 current subs. Compared to 50000 new subs in 2008 and lost 8500 current customers. Because they are always adding new subs. Even if they lost 15% more this year than last it doesn't make much of a difference compared to the total subscribers. Even less of a difference when you add in the price increase from the previous year.

I was figuring this from a post that said the 15% was the difference in Churn. I was taking churn as meaning the difference of new subs verse canceled subs.

I just noticed that in my original post I said 5000 was 2% of 100000. My bad I meant to put 2000.

Churn is the percentage of existing subs hat cancel in a given period. Not the difference between the number of new subs and those leaving. But again in this case he isjust saying that there is an increase in the rate of subs leaving DISH.

There are 3 factors at play here...

#1 Churn

#2 New Customer Promotions

#3 Installing New Customers

First of all, DISH Network needs to be more aggressive when it comes to customers who want to disconnect service they need to be offered something that is better than what they are going to get switching to Directv or cable. Very rarely I see this done, and the most they will give a customer is $10 off for 10 months.

Whenever we switch Directv customers to DISH Network, we tell customers to call Directv a few daysl AFTER they are installed with DISH to cancel service. The reasoning we use is that we want the customers to be satisfied with DISH service so they can switch back if they are not happy, but telling them they need to wait a few days locks them into our contract!

Second of all, the current promotions suck. They don't want to be aggressive and offer something like $20 off for 10 months because it causes a problem when the special pricing is over, but they do not realize how many customers this is actually costing them.

Finally, they loose approximatly 25% of all new customer installations simply due to sh!tty installers who don't give a dam and miss appointments.

If the installers would just show up on time and give a dam to take care of the customer they could increase their numbers by 15%

I was trying to figure out this statement. "Dish has opened a new service center to help counter a 15% jump in subscriber defections."

So it could just mean as an example that 1000 customers left in 2006 and 1500 in 2007?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)