Buy 622 for OTA tuner (no HD package)

hauler34

Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I currently lease a 510 DVR, but have a HD monitor that I would like to see display HD. I'm pretty much paying the barebone for satellite (60 channels and locals 34.99, and DVR 5.98) right now and would like to keep it that way. With that being the case, I can't rationalize paying 49.99 just for the basic HD package when, out of all the HD channels, I'd only really watch locals which I believe I'd have to pay an extra $5 for. What I'm thinking about doing is buying a 622 outright, instead of leasing, and keeping the same SD package I currently have, but use the OTA HD tuner to receive my locals. Is this even possible? It's my understanding that if I don't subscribe to an HD package that there will be an OTA enable fee of $6, is that correct? Since I'd buy the receiver instead of leasing I'd avoid the $6 rental fee, but would I still have to pay the DVR fee? What does it take for a current subscriber to switch out receivers? Do I have to send the old one back and do I have to activate new one somehow? If there's some aspect of this whole idea that I'm missing please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you have it right. Yes on DVR fee. Since you lease the 510, I think they're going to want it back unless you want to keep it active in another room.

Call Dishstore (ad at top of page) for assistance. They can probably help you.

622 for ota

622 for ota bad idea
not only will you shell out 499 for a 622, but to use the ota tuner without the hd pack, you will have to pay a 6.00 hd enabling fee, you would be better off buying a new hd ota tuner from best buy or ebay..

My thought originally was to simply get a set-top box like you recommend, but I thought it'd be nice to be able to record the hd programming and to avoid having to switch inputs everything I want to go from satellite to OTA HD channels. Plus, it'd be nice to have a set-top box that would also have other inputs that could upconvert the signal. Any reciever that offers that seems to be rather expensive still.

No other inputs

My thought originally was to simply get a set-top box like you recommend, but I thought it'd be nice to be able to record the hd programming and to avoid having to switch inputs everything I want to go from satellite to OTA HD channels. Plus, it'd be nice to have a set-top box that would also have other inputs that could upconvert the signal. Any reciever that offers that seems to be rather expensive still.

The 622 has no inputs other than OTA & 2 sat lines.

I don't need other inputs for the 622. I was just thinking that if I can a set-top box, it'd be nice to hook up the satellite receiver via s-video so that everything would chain together with only one (digital) connection to my TV.

I'm just looking for a setup that wouldn't pain in the butt to operate. In my eyes I see the 622 as an all-in-one. With set-top box that I would have to switch back and forth between that and the satellite receiver.

"you will have to pay a 6.00 hd enabling fee,"

Dodge is correct. You will have to pay $6.00 extra for not having an HD package. I lease a 211 and I use it for OTA tuner but I also get HBOHD and StarzHD since I subscribe to both. So for $6.00 extra, I get my HD locals through Dish, OTA tuner and HBOHD and StarzHD.

HD is just so frustrating. For something that they want everyone in the country to move to, they're certainly not making it very appealing. I really wish that HD programming was more affordable. I guess I need to find a job that makes more money just so I can watch crystal clear television.

HD OTA Tuners are afordable, Dish doesn't want to sell OTA DVRs so they make you jump through hoops to get it for ota only. If you buy your 622 and return the 510 your monthly fee only goes up $6 but you end up with a total of 3 tuners and two outputs.

The only HD OTA DVR on the market right now is the tivo series 3 at around $700 and a monthly fee ranging from $8 to $19 depending on what plan you buy.

Outside of the TiVo, many cable companies offer an HD enabled DVR. Verizon FIOS also has one, if you're in their footprint. Both are competatively priced with Dish, though I think Dish would be a little cheaper.

I currently have a similar set up to what you are looking for, and I have a 921. I'm trying to find a reason to upgrade to the 622 (since I love new technology), but the 921 serves my needs too well to justify the upfront lease fee ($199 for existing customers). Check eBay for a 921 or 942. It looks like you can get one for about the same price as the Lease fee for the 622, but no monthly charge. The main difference is that the 622 can get HD locals, if they're available in your area, so you can record 3 HD locals simultaneously. Personally, I don't have enough free time to watch all that programming, so I've stuck with my current set up.

921/92 OTA Tuner w/o HD package.

I currently have a similar set up to what you are looking for, and I have a 921. I'm trying to find a reason to upgrade to the 622 (since I love new technology), but the 921 serves my needs too well to justify the upfront lease fee ($199 for existing customers).

Damn 2Z -- I would like to do something similar to what you are doing and Hauler34 is trying to do. The 921 or 942 does seem to make more sense. But are you saying that I would NOT need to pay an HD enabling fee in order to use the HD-OTA functions including saving to the DVR Hard Drive?.

dcb

It's worth the $ for the DH package just to have the cat jump up to the TV and demand that I change from GMA to DISC HD Sunrise in the AM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts