Buy a Dish DVR or Tivo?

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
So I'm in the process of upgrading my leased 3 Dish recievers to the new MPEG-4 units, and will end up w/ one DVR (622) in my main home theater space. I also have just added Slingbox to my home system, which is and will remain hooked up to an 811 (couldn't get that one upgraded at this time, unfortunately).

Ideally, I'd have MPEG-4 receivers in all rooms. Ideally, I'd have DVRs in all rooms, but mostly, I'd like to have my Slingbox able to access recordings. I'm contemplating getting a standalone Tivo, and then, thought, hey, add one in both rooms (one to a 211, the other to the 811/Slingbox) but am floored by the subscription costs...$469 for a 3 year sub PER BOX!!!! No lifetime for $300, nor any discount for multiple boxes, as there was and I thought there would still be. That's some expensive stuff. On the plus, Tivo has great software, great support from Sling, they have the Tivo-2-Go for mobile viewing and I'd have the ability to view recordings back-and-forth between the two boxes over our network. Sweet. But EXPENSIVE. ReplayTV units might be an option, too, but I'm not sure how much cheaper they'd really be, and you lose the nice Tivo-2-Go feature (not as huge, since I'd have Slingbox viewing), AND the fact that they're discontinuing their hardware (but you can still get their well-reviewed 5400 a few places).

So, would I be better off buying a second 622 Dish DVR reciever w/ no sub fee or what (then I'd have MPEG-4 all 'round, and HD DVR recording, nice. But, on the neg side--no Tivo-2-Go, no DVR in the bedroom [even though Tivo is limited to SD recording], no swapping viewing)? And CAN you even activate/buy a second 622 now, if you are leasing/own one already?

Last edited:
Here's what I did:
1) Purchased a Sony DVR that uses the free TV Guide (via local PBS OTA) to record OTA network HD. The Sony has 500 GB that allows me to record the entire season of 24, Lost and Invasion with room to spare. No fees whatsoever. Some folks don't like the TV Guide, but it uses name-based record like TIVO, and works fine for me.
2) Leased the 622 for 'cable' HD - Disc, HBO, SHO, Voom, etc. Wish the 622 had the capacity like the Sony.

I'm lucky in that I've got excellent HD-OTA reception, so there is no need to pay Dish for the privilege of Sat 'locals' or the locals guide.

YMMV

Interesting, JMikeF, I'd forgotten about the Sony DHG-HDD500, though I read up on it a while back when it was announced. I looked at its specs/Cnet write-up after being reminded by your post--only huge prob is it's limited inputs, ONLY RF. I need to use this w/ the sat box, so w/out S-video in, it's a wash. Very odd they would build this as a flagship DVR and cripple its array of inputs...

Funny, they did the same thing w/ their DVD recorder/HDD combo unit as well (crippled component inputs so you can only record 480i). The MPAA has truly castrated the consumer electronics industry. Shameful.

Last edited:

DP301 and 3900 Receivers

622 problem, please help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)