Buy My Own 722 Units?

endswell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I currently have a 522, and am looking to upgrade to HD on two 722 units so I can get HD on two TVs. When I do the "Dish builder", DISH wants to charge me $249 up-front, plus an "HD leased receiver fee" of $7/month. Is it possible for me to buy a couple of 722 units on my own and have DISH install them as part of this upgrade? It just seems like for $249 up-front, I shouldn't have to pay a lease fee. Please comment on whether it is tricky to provide your own equipment.

Thanks,
Dan

I currently have a 522, and am looking to upgrade to HD on two 722 units so I can get HD on two TVs. When I do the "Dish builder", DISH wants to charge me $249 up-front, plus an "HD leased receiver fee" of $7/month. Is it possible for me to buy a couple of 722 units on my own and have DISH install them as part of this upgrade? It just seems like for $249 up-front, I shouldn't have to pay a lease fee. Please comment on whether it is tricky to provide your own equipment.

Thanks,
Dan

Your going to pay $399 buying them upfront and still pay a $7 access fee.

This is one of those totally insane Dish deals. If you lease it there is no upfront and you pay 7 dollar lease fee on second and following DVRs. BUT if you buy it, you pay 7 dollar "additonal receiver fee".

I had an online chat with Dish CSRs and went off when they told me but that's their policy no matter how insane it sounds.

Maybe it will change but don't hold out any hope.

I see no point in paying full price to buy your receivers. As others have said, you no longer save monthly by purchasing your receivers (years ago there was no monthly fee on purchased receivers). They just change the name of the fee from "Lease" to "Additional Outlet"

If you ever cancel Dish, you're not going to need the receivers anyway and you're going to lose a lot of money when you try to sell the receivers anyway.... a lot more than the $249 you'd be paying up front to lease.

Price your options with other companies.... you're not going to get a much better deal.... maybe as a new customer you'd save SOME money.... but next time you want to upgrade as an existing customer with them, chances are you will pay more than Dish charges. That is one thing they are pretty consistently good at.... competitive pricing.

Should I wait for the 922 to be released? Does anyone know what the release timing is?

Isn't that what the 722s name has been changed to? In any case, I was referring to the 722s.

Thanks!

I asked Dish Network about upgrading again in the future after getting my 722 and they said I would have to wait two years again to ugrade and I told them that I could go to DirecTv anytime and get all new equipment if they offer something better than what I currently have a year from now and they said that I would not have to wait two years, it was a round about answer.

Am I out of luck for two years on upgrading any of my hardware then since I have a two year commitment on the 722? I cannot see them releasing the 922 for at least another year.

I asked Dish Network about upgrading again in the future after getting my 722 and they said I would have to wait two years again to ugrade and I told them that I could go to DirecTv anytime and get all new equipment if they offer something better than what I currently have a year from now and they said that I would not have to wait two years, it was a round about answer.

Am I out of luck for two years on upgrading any of my hardware then since I have a two year commitment on the 722? I cannot see them releasing the 922 for at least another year.

No, but you usually have to increase your commitment back to 24 months.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)