Buy now or lease later?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cal87

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Cutting Edge
Aug 3, 2005
Tracy, CA
I am confused. I live in the Sacramento area. I currently have a HD Tivo and a Samsung 360. I would like an additional HD receiver - H20. I think the HD locals are coming to the area in April. So I think eventually I will want 1) a new H20, 2) an H20 to replace the Samsung, and 3) the new HD DVR.
Should I buy/replace now? Wait until March 1 for the lease program? Wait til April for the HD LIL? What would be the advantages? The CSRs don't know much, of course.

I just signed up with D* I chose to buy. The deal I got gave me the H20 and new 5lnb dish for free after rebate. I purchased 2 additional R15 DVRs. Only $99 each. The big IF is the details of the lease. How much is the lease going to be a month. I think one of the advantages of a lease might be that since the equipment is theirs if something happens to it, they have to fix it, but just not sure if that going to be fact. Since they gave me the H20 for free I figured free now was better then a lease next month. Thats why I chose to sign up in February. Why pay a lease fee for a receiver when you don't have to. You just have to decide how many recivers you need now and decide if you want to fork over the money now or wait.

The lease fee is rumored to be the same as the mirror fees we now pay for additional receivers. The fee is supposedly replacing mirror fees for those that are leased, you won't pay lease and mirror fees.

I got new H20 free less rebate, AT9 dish install free and no shipping. I too have no new content in MPEG4 but you cant beat new dish, new receiver and no cost. I dont plan on going anywhere so no big thing for me to do 2 year committment.

Here is why I am wondering. The lease fee seems like it is going to be the same as the mirror fee. You can "buy" a receiver basically for free with the rebates. So what is the advantage, or is there one to own? With the lease, i guess they would replace if anything went bad. Could you upgrade to future models at any time? If you own, does that give you any "credit" towards trading in for more advanced equipment?

Usually. The main thing is if you lease you are bound by their $300 early termination fee if you want to change providers. With urchase - rebate you can cancel and send the receiver back in lieu of early termination fee.

I also think there will be a big uproar if they do away with mirror fee for leased unites and not purchased units.

I made sure to own mine and keep the protection plan. ANY service call is 100% FREE to me (including dish realinements!!!!) and if the equipment fails D* replaces it for free. It is 8 bucks a mounth (if you have a tivo or HD unit) and you are 100% covered. Kinda like having home owners and car insurance.

It's interesting that I have had 2 installers in the past 2 weeks and both when it came to the question about the protection plan over the phone shook their head at me no. I took their advice but what do I know? :)

So anyone have advice for me?
I currently own the HD Tivo and Samsung 360.
I want another H20.
The Samsung will eventually be replaced with another H20, the HD Tivo with the new HD DVR.
Should I buy the H20 now - I think it is $199 - free after rebate?
Or should I wait till March - is it going to be $99? any rebate?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)