Buyers remorse time to opt out of DISH?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
These people are elderly and were forced to switch in a very short time period. They were perfectly fine in their comfort zone before having this forced upon them.
Awohar's (as are those that agree) attitude is despicable. "Nobody forced them to get pay TV, period. They bought it without doing their due diligence, now they're going to have to accept responsibility for their mistake."
If it were his, or your elderly parents, grandparents, or friends, would he have the same attitude? They did not know there would be an opportunity to go back. They were told Comcast and Qwest were gone. (as explained above)

Maybe he's a Dish employee showing their wonderful customer service attitude...........

To be fair, what did Dish do wrong? They are out money on an install, a dish and LNB, wiring, and refurbishing the receivers given out. They, too, are victims. You are making it out to be Dish's fault, but they have people sign contracts for a good reason. It is the park owner in the wrong.

To be fair, what did Dish do wrong? They are out money on an install, a dish and LNB, wiring, and refurbishing the receivers given out. They, too, are victims. You are making it out to be Dish's fault, but they have people sign contracts for a good reason. It is the park owner in the wrong.

Where did I say this was Dish's fault? I am not blaming Dish one bit. You are correct, this is completely the park owners' fault.

I was simply pointing out Awohar's snotty, snide, negative attitude. (Maybe he was the CSR that they talked to when they called in)

I started this thread with the simple notion of finding out about a grace period, others have turned this into the "blame game". I do believe that Dish might have been a little lenient in this case, considering the situation.

Where did I say this was Dish's fault? I am not blaming Dish one bit. You are correct, this is completely the park owners' fault.

I didn't say you did, but you are quite insistent that Dish be the one to take the loss. Maybe you are right, but at least knowledge that Dish will lose something if they let them out.

snip.... You are making it out to be Dish's fault, ..snip

Where did I say this was Dish's fault? ..snip..

I didn't say you did, but you are quite insistent that Dish be the one to take the loss. Maybe you are right, but at least knowledge that Dish will lose something if they let them out.

uh, yes you did....

I acknowledge that Dish will lose something ($), but so is DirecTV, and they are not charging their early term fee in this situation. They could also come collect the dish and LNB's. I'm sure those folks don't want them.

Again, I realize they are not required to do anything according to the contract. But they could have done some kind of "goodwill" gesture in this case.

Last edited:
No offense, but being in the customer service industry for many many years and it is customers like you that make them 'snotty'.

Look, people need to grow up and accept responsibility for their actions. In no way is Dish at fault or responsible for this person's actions. Why should they be penalized for providing a good service at a good price? People like you want to just complain when they don't get something their way.

Maybe I am from a different time, but when I make a mistake, I make the best of the situation and not complain about it.

They probably think the picture is lousy. Tell them guard their checking account. They will get a charge for teminating and it will not be good.

No offense, but being in the customer service industry for many many years and it is customers like you that make them 'snotty'.

Exactly. He keeps preaching that they were "forced". I don't see how they were forced. Nobody is under any obligation to have any pay TV services. They had a choice to simply do without TV or to move to a place with a more reasonable landlord. The OP has a significant sense of entitlement in that he believes that someone else should take a loss for the conscious actions of these customers. Sorry but if DISH takes that loss then that loss will be spread across all their remaining customers. I doubt that very many subscribers on this forum would want to realize that next February's price increase is partly to blame because DISH decided to take it on the chin for a lot of customers that reneg on their contract.

...I was simply pointing out Awohar's snotty, snide, negative attitude. (Maybe he was the CSR that they talked to when they called in)
I started this thread with the simple notion of finding out about a grace period, others have turned this into the "blame game". I do believe that Dish might have been a little lenient in this case, considering the situation.

Now who is being snotty, snide, negative?
Dish should hold them to the cancellation fee if they do cancel. Dish in no way should be saddled with the cost of their indecision (or should we since we as customers do end up paying for it in the end) nor should Dish just let them out of the contract that they signed because they "want to go back to something else"

I have spent years in customer service and this is one of the situations that increase prices for everyone. If you make an exception for one person to let them out of a contract, you have to make the same exception for another. Open the floodgates and run. If these folks had read what they were asked to sign before they signed it, this situation might not exist at all.

Whew...I'm glad I didn't take their promotion when I signed up. I was with dish for approx 6 months and gave it up (UHF remote sucked and the DVR was terrible) but luckily I didn't opt for the long-term contract.

They live in a mobile home park. All tenants were forced by the owner to switch from Comcast and Qwest, to a third party provider, Primecast, for the owners own monetary gain. (For TV, microwave or wireless DSL, and VOIP phone) They switched, but then Comcast worked out a deal to get back in the park AFTER most people had already switched. These people want to go back to what they know and are used to. They want the channels in the same place, they want On-Demand. This is a retirement park. Old folks do not like change.
Where is Dish mentioned in this? The park's owners didn't force them to choose Dish, right? They just had to switch away from Comcast? I don't see how you get the park owners to pay up for this either. The couple made a choice they don't like. It happens. I'm sure it's not the first mistake the couple have made in their lives, not even the first that "cost money".

Actually dish is at fault in not informing the customer at the time of contract signing that they have a 3 day period to decide if they want to continue with the service or not. When dish did the 30 day grace period a while back they had no problem telling customers this for the very short length of time that the promo ran. Not informing your customers that they have an option to opt out of a 2 year contract is a bad business practice.

I was told it costs $12,000 to move one of those mobile homes. When you are on retirement income, do you move or do what you're forced to do?

Dayum! I knew it most likely would be expensive to move, but the company in this example KNOWS they have people at a disadvantage and abuses it at will. Not sure what, if any, legal recourse can be done to this outfit and they already have a low BBB rating, so that would not be of any help to threaten a complaint there, but the CO AG's office should definitely look into the deal.

It appears the satellite company(s) did nothing wrong, but I think talking to them may be the best course of action to see what they say. Have had both D* & *E and although neither are what I would classify as saints, neither would last long if they operated like that property "management" company has apparently been doing.

Actually dish is at fault in not informing the customer at the time of contract signing that they have a 3 day period to decide if they want to continue with the service or not. When dish did the 30 day grace period a while back they had no problem telling customers this for the very short length of time that the promo ran. Not informing your customers that they have an option to opt out of a 2 year contract is a bad business practice.

In most states, the right of rescission only applies to those sales where the salesmen came to your house to sell the product, etc. DISH doesn't have to tell anyone about any rescission laws unless a particular state law says they have to. Do you know of a state law that does? Heck, I can tell you that in Nevada, you can't even change your mind once you've left the dealership with a new car. Lemon laws are the only recourse so if you just plain don't like the car, that's a $20-$40k mistake to own.

Sounds like the OP isn't getting a lot of love on these forums. Sending harassing PMs isn't the answer either.

Moot point. The thread was opened 7d after the installation.

These people are elderly and were forced to switch in a very short time period.

They bought it without doing their due diligence, now they're going to have to accept responsibility for their mistake.

If it were his, or your elderly parents, grandparents, or friends, would he have the same attitude?

They did not know there would be an opportunity to go back.

So what have we learned?

1. Being old means you're not expected to use your brain or make intelligent choices.

2. Only half the responding population thinks you should be responsible for your own actions (like that's a surprise...)

3. That its different if it's a close relation (I'd tell my own mother to deal with it... I don't know why being old and related to someone is supposed to change a business contract.)

4. Not knowing the grass could be greener elsewhere is an excuse to not be intelligent, see point 1.

If they've been on earth that long, they need to grow up and deal. If they want to cancel, then cancel; but don't expect a Fortune 500 company to foot the bill because you didn't do your homework. Someone said it's people's lack of accountability that drives customer service people insane, and I tend to agree. Just reading about this makes me want to double their cancellation fee...

If you sign something, you deal with the consequences. People need to start acting like adults. (My apologies if the "elderly people" mentioned are senile, in which case they shouldn't be allowed to sign anything other than an Etch-A-Sketch).

If they've been on earth that long, they need to grow up and deal. If they want to cancel, then cancel; but don't expect a Fortune 500 company to foot the bill because you didn't do your homework. Someone said it's people's lack of accountability that drives customer service people insane, and I tend to agree. Just reading about this makes me want to double their cancellation fee...

No, don't expect a Fortune 500 company (or any company for that matter) to foot the bill because you didn't do your homework or had a change in your circumstances BUT it doesn't hurt to explain the situation and ask for relief. Just be civil and prepared to accept the outcome even if it wasn't what you wanted.

I'm not saying it happened in this case, but too often people take the "I demand..." approach when dealing with customer service reps and then throw a fit when they don't get their way. That is the kind of attitude that makes anyone involved in providing service to customers cringe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)