Buying a 811 or 942 on ebay how does that work?

VaDavid

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I would like to get the 942 but it cost a ton even on ebay. If you buy your own does dish only charge a DVR fee? Instead of a DVR fee and a lease fee? What are the USB ports on the 942 for?

On dish networks website it says you can only by them from a dealer. :confused:

The 811 can be had for cheap on ebay but what if you end up with one where someone still ows money on that dish account wouldn't you have to pay it?

To answer your last question, before placing a bid, get the receiver's serial # and card # (one begins with R00 and the other begins with S00) from the seller. Give Dish customer service a call and ask them to check those ##'s to confirm there is no balance due, and the account has been closed. If the answers are no balance due and account closed, ask the service rep to confirm Dish will activate that receiver to your account if/when you purchase it.

Don't believe any seller who refuses to provide the ##'s but assures you the unit is free and clear. Some people think the receiver is theirs to sell because the ad they responded to a few months back said FREE equipment, FREE installation, etc. It all depends on the terms of the contract they signed.

I purchased my receiver on eBay, and did get a legitimate unit at a great price, but would've been screwed if I hadn't called Dish with the ##'s of every receiver I considered buying. According to at least a couple reps I spoke with, if I did buy a receiver with a balance due, they probably would activate the unit to my account if I paid the balance. But, if the previous user didn't close the account, you're still dead in the water.

Check out any of those dealer links at the top of this page if you prefer not to go the auction route.

Make sure it is listed as NIB (NEW IN BOX), I have 3 811"s I got off ebay. also got 2 322''s one was ok the other was a lease unit, seller gave the R00 # I called dish and asked if it had a balance, rep said no, what he didn't tell me was that it was a lease unit, when I called to turn it on they would not do it, had to buy another 322 from local dealer. Also got a 510 off EBAY, works great.

I have gotten a 510, 522 and 921 on ebay. No problems at all, just make sure the seller is rated well. Get the R00 and S00 number to confirm before bidding.

I've also sold a 510, 721 and 3 301's on ebay or through the classifieds here. I have no problem giving out those numbers to people and any reputable seller shouldn't. I have had to fight with the CSR's a couple times and make it very clear to them to remove the receiver from my account so it can be activated by another person. Sometimes they just turn them off, but leave then on the account, causing problems (easily fixed) for the buyer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)