Buying a DISH from a Third Party

godwheel

Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Miami, FL
I was wondering: if I purchase one of those HD DVRs (vip 612) from a third party (like Dish Store), do I still need to pay a DVR fee or whatever to DISH? I believe there are two separate fees they typically charge, DVR leasing fee and "DVR access fee".

I just extended my contract and i got the vip 722 free, but since I got a baby coming I figure I might need a receiver later on...

I was wondering: if I purchase one of those HD DVRs (vip 612) from a third party (like Dish Store), do I still need to pay a DVR fee or whatever to DISH? I believe there are two separate fees they typically charge, DVR leasing fee and "DVR access fee".

I just extended my contract and i got the vip 722 free, but since I got a baby coming I figure I might need a receiver later on...

You pay a fee whether you own or lease unless the receiver is the primary one on the account, in which case, its fee is in the package cost. All DVRs incura DVR fee. If you sign up for the DVR Advantage promotion, the DVR fee and locals are included in the $10 cost, saving 98 cents. There is no financial advantage to buying over leasing unless you're trying to avoid a commitment. For example if you sub to the DDA Turbo Silver package and have a single leased 722 HD DVR receiver, you monhly cost would be $49.99 ($39.99 for Turbo Silver and $10 for DDA which includes the DVR fee and locals). The lease fee or receiver charge of $7 is inclued in the $39.99 package cost. If you had a second HD DVR like the 612, the additional cost would be $12 ($7 for the receiver and $5 for a DVR fee).

What a bummer. I thought if I bought the receiver later on I wouldnt have to pay the extra fees or extend my contract. I need to call DISH tomorrow and see what it would cost for the VIP 612 even if I got the VIP 722 free. Ouch.

What a bummer. I thought if I bought the receiver later on I wouldnt have to pay the extra fees or extend my contract. I need to call DISH tomorrow and see what it would cost for the VIP 612 even if I got the VIP 722 free. Ouch.

I think it's $50 right now. You could also get a 211k and hang an external hard drive on it and for a one-time enabling fee of $39 have a basic DVR. It also isn't subject to the DVR fee. It's a single tuner receiver though. I think E* may provide a 722 and two 211s for new customers with no upfront costs. Of course you'd have to commit to get it.

I think it's $50 right now. You could also get a 211k and hang an external hard drive on it and for a one-time enabling fee of $39 have a basic DVR. It also isn't subject to the DVR fee. It's a single tuner receiver though. I think E* may provide a 722 and two 211s for new customers with no upfront costs. Of course you'd have to commit to get it.

The only thing that sucks with this setup though is that you can not move the EHD (external hard drive) from the 211 to the 722. Or, if you had one connected to the 722 to the 211. 722, 622 and 612's all allow you to move the EHDs around if you want ... but then you are going to pay more for those guys too ...

Buying a second HD receiver versus leasing it from Dish saves you $2/month plus whatever your state sales tax is on the $7 HD receiver lease fee (in CO that is $.56/month). So the purchased HD receiver is paid back at $2.56/month or $30.72/year plus whatever Dish charges you for the receiver upgrade. So how many years for the pay back? Not worth it anymore to purchase receivers unless you are absolutely schizo about 24 month subscriber commitments or you don't qualify for a Dish-It-Up upgrade price and you need the receiver now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)