Buying a Dish Joey From a Seller on Ebay

Tech-1

Original poster
Dec 11, 2019
Maben Mississippi, 39750
Becareful when buying any Dish Network Equipment from a Seller on Ebay. We bought a Dish Joey from a Seller on Ebay. I connected it to my Hopper and was going to let it go through setup. It would not setup, it put up a message to call Dish. I called Dish
and they told me the Joey was all ready registerd to another customer and could not be added to my account. Dish ask me where I got this Joey, I told them a thrift shop!!! MESSAGE TO ANYONE BE AWARE WHEN BUYING DISH NETWORK EQUIPMENT FROM ANOTHER SOURCE BESIDES DISH THEM SELF. YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Your feedback is important to us. Now, you are able to use a receiver from another source.

It is recommended that you be sure that it's a DISH receiver that hasn't gone obsolete, and that it's still not associated with any other account.

Becareful when buying any Dish Network Equipment from a Seller on Ebay. We bought a Dish Joey from a Seller on Ebay. I connected it to my Hopper and was going to let it go through setup. It would not setup, it put up a message to call Dish. I called Dish
and they told me the Joey was all ready registerd to another customer and could not be added to my account. Dish ask me where I got this Joey, I told them a thrift shop!!! MESSAGE TO ANYONE BE AWARE WHEN BUYING DISH NETWORK EQUIPMENT FROM ANOTHER SOURCE BESIDES DISH THEM SELF. YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT.

Why did you tell them a thrift shop and not eBay? That way they could’ve gone after the seller

Why did you tell them a thrift shop and not eBay? That way they could’ve gone after the seller
I've never had dish do that or offer to do it.

Several times, I've done online chat to verify serial numbers are clean/clear, and then the box shows up and it "has a balance" or is "active on another account."
I've argued with CSR reps and provided copies of all saved chat transcripts to get that taken care of. It's an interesting situation they have there. Seems very wasteful to brick devices by not letting them be re-associated with already-established accounts in good standing and current status.

Reactions: jpmarto and LQQK
I had that happen with a 211K I bought from a forum listing. I contacted the seller and he contacted Dish to get it straightened out. It was a simple misunderstanding on his part that just deactivating the unit did not remove it from his account.

I've never had dish do that or offer to do it.

Several times, I've done online chat to verify serial numbers are clean/clear, and then the box shows up and it "has a balance" or is "active on another account."
I've argued with CSR reps and provided copies of all saved chat transcripts to get that taken care of. It's an interesting situation they have there. Seems very wasteful to brick devices by not letting them be re-associated with already-established accounts in good standing and current status.

That’s great but you’re not the person I was asking the question to, nor is that an answer to the question that I asked

So, if Dish owned an apartment building, they wouldn't rent a unit to me because the last guy in it didn't pay his rent?

They are trying to remove the incentive for people to sell leased receivers. Clearly it hasn't worked completely, but it may well have reduced it.

Reactions: JSheridan
Before buying anything like that on Ebay I send the seller a message asking if this should work on my account (Verizon, Dish etc). If he says it should and it does not you can request return/refund because item is not as described, include any proof (pics etc) as attachments. The seller is responsible for return postage (supply prepaid shipping label) and a full refund, even if even the item is listed as not returnable.

If the item is not as described and the reseller does take care of it Ebay will issue the refund.

Reactions: joegr
You can ask the seller to clear it, from their account, so long as it's not leased, done it plenty of times