Buying a receiver on ebay

andrew110

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Michigan
Well first of all I just want to say hey to everyone and I'm glad to be a part of this great site!

I want to buy a 311 receiver on ebay for another room in the house and wanted to know if Dish will send me a purple card free in the mail when I activate.

Thanks!

Although I am not sure about the card, let me offer a bit of other advice.

Get the RO# from the receiver and verify with Dish before purchasing. Be very specific with the seller that the RO# needs be on the invoice of your purchase. Make sure you keep proof of this until you either sell the receiver or dispose of it. I purchased a receiver in Nov. 07 and it has been active until late last week, now Dish wants it back as they have it listed as leased since sometime last year. I had to fax proof to them that I purchased it, although they have no proof that I am leasing it.

BEFORE you buy a receiver on eBay. Get the R00# from the receiver. Most reputable sellers usally post them in the ad. If its not there ask the seller for it. Get that receiver number and call Dish and have them check the number to be sure there isn't a balance on the receiver. If there is a balance, you will have to pay it before they will activate it. A lot of sellers on eBay sell receivers with a balance knowing full well it can't be activated, and usally once you buy it your stuck with it becuse nobody else is going to buy it from you with a balance due.

BEFORE you buy a receiver on eBay. Get the R00# from the receiver. Most reputable sellers usally post them in the ad. If its not there ask the seller for it. Get that receiver number and call Dish and have them check the number to be sure there isn't a balance on the receiver. If there is a balance, you will have to pay it before they will activate it. A lot of sellers on eBay sell receivers with a balance knowing full well it can't be activated, and usally once you buy it your stuck with it becuse nobody else is going to buy it from you with a balance due.

All of our receivers are eBay purchases. When I purchased the last one, just before the Christmas Holidays, it turned out to be a leased receiver - even though the seller sent me an R# in advance.

When Dish Network refused to activiate, legitimately on their part, I contact the seller, via the eBay messaging system - only way to protect yourself, and he shot back a string of profanity that would have made my mother proud.

I gave him one more chance to correct it and he still refused.

I then opened a PAYPAL dispute. While a PayPal dispute can take up to 60 days, by the time they get done with the waiting periods between contacting the seller and waiting periods after each step, it does work, SO LONG AS YOU PAID WITH PAYPAL and ONLY CORRESPOND VIA eBay and PayPal's mail system.

It took close to 100 days, but I got 100% of my item cost, plus shipping, plus pre-paid return shipping, from PAYPAL BUYER PROTECTION - because I followed the PayPal rules and used their communications system exclusively.

If you CALL the seller, if you use regular e-mail, if you use snail mail, you blow your opportunity to take advantage of PayPal Buyer Protection.

• ALWAYS use only eBay or PayPal communications.
  • ALWAYS pay only with PayPal.
  • NEVER contact the seller directly.
  • NEVER give the seller your e-mail or phone number. No matter how much they jump up and down; no matter how loud they scream; no matter what excuse they use; always use the eBay or PayPal communications channels - they are there for YOUR PROTECTION.
  • If a seller contacts you outside the eBay or PayPal system about a dispute; if they offer to charge a lower price if you pay with a check or a credit card processed outside of the PayPal system; if they THREATEN YOU; or if they are abusive in their correspondence, REPORT THEM TO PAYPAL or EBAY - IMMEDIATELY!
If you abide by the PayPal rules, the system works - it just takes time because they have to cover their proverbial butts and make certain a dispute is legitimate. While your evidence of wrongdoing, on the part of the seller, may be irrifutable, they need to make the case for themselves that the seller cheated you so they are not sued by a seller.

Finally, remember that the eBay ratings system is very effective:
  • I ALWAYS leave very POSITIVE FEEDBACK for good sellers. If it was a good transaction between you and them, they deserve it;
  • I review the comments in the feedback and, if the comment appears to be or no substance or bitchy on the part of the purchaser, will ignore negative feedback left by that purchaser. As a general rule of thumb, however, I never purchase anything from anyone with less than a 98% positive reputation, and;
  • I ALWAYS leave NEGATIVE FEEDBACK if there was a problem with an order which the seller refused to resolve.

I was in the same position. The only way I got around paying for a new card was asking for retention and threatening to go to D* since I was not on contract. Hope this helps.

Interesting info from Chicago....

I'd add - don't buy this type of item from eBay. In fact, I rarely buy anything from eBay anymore. Too many people getting cheated. And I was one of them, and eBay did nothing. Years ago.

Just much safer, and probably not much more expensive, to buy from a dealer or Dish directly.

I ended up with a leased receiver once as well. Checked the # with E* and they said it was clean until I tried to activate it. I will say this, E* stepped up and exchanged the leased receiver for a refurb from them AT NO COST TO ME! I sent E* the leased receiver, along with the sellers info, and they took care of the receiver issue from there. As far as the payment, PayPal refunded my $ in about 45 days. I was very lucky. Haven't gotten a receiver off ebay since though.

Be sure you call in and check the RO # I think that is what saved me!

Always check Amazon.com as well as Ebay. I've purchased varoius items from authorized dealers on Amazon for less than EBay.

My recent 211K purchase was from an authorized dealer via Amazon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)