buying used voom system any problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

weagle

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
i'm going to be purchasing a used voom receiver i have a dss/directv dish lying around somewhere, is there any problems i may run into if i buy this used except outstanding balance? can i install it myself instead of paying voom to install it?

I wouldn't touch a used reciever. This has nothing to do with the functionality of the box, rather the unlikely fact that V* will activate it especially if your not the original owner.

weagle said:
i'm going to be purchasing a used voom receiver i have a dss/directv dish lying around somewhere, is there any problems i may run into if i buy this used except outstanding balance? can i install it myself instead of paying voom to install it?
Weagle, let us know how that paper weight turns out. ;)

Sorry, but Voom will NOT activate it. And even if they could, you'd have to give them your credit card number. That' committing financial suicide.

ChetK said:

Sorry, but Voom will NOT activate it. And even if they could, you'd have to give them your credit card number. That' committing financial suicide.

Not everybody had a "financial suicide" with their credit cards and VOOM. Mine is in autopay and it is working fine. Yes, some had problems with it but if you ask how many, you will not see that this reflects the majority.

Blah Blah Blah, who cares if it's just 10 people? It's 10 people more than most companies. Let's not even talk about collecting illegal state sales tax.

ChetK said:
Blah Blah Blah, who cares if it's just 10 people? It's 10 people more than most companies. Let's not even talk about collecting illegal state sales tax.

The problem ChetK is that you are making general statements: 10 people matters as opposed to 35,990? But not enough to make a general statement.

Now you bring another issue to the table as an outlet. And I have to agree with you on this one because I have no other information yet. But again I am waiting to hear both sides of the equation.

Sean Mota said:
Now you bring another issue to the table as an outlet.

Bringing up illegal sales tax is not an outlet. My point still remains. It doesn't matter the total number of subscribers there are. What really matters is that the fact still remains that it is more possible that Voom will mess up your billing vs. the other satellite providers out there. It's also proven that if you do have billing problems with Voom, it takes too long or you will never get the money Voom owes you back. You may have never had problems with Voom billing, but that could be because you've never cancelled and does not erase the fact that the problem still remains.

Using ten people as a guess at those having issues with their Cc being overcharged.

.00025% of Vooms customers are having billing issues...I wonder if .00025% of E*'s 10 million are having issues? I hope not because that is about 2500 people.

wasch_24 said:
Using ten people as a guess at those having issues with their Cc being overcharged.

.00025% of Vooms customers are having billing issues...I wonder if .00025% of E*'s 10 million are having issues? I hope not because that is about 2500 people.

All I know is that I NEVER have had billing problems with Dish Network and I DID have billing problems with Voom. In addition, others here have complained about billing problems. If it smells like a rat, it looks like a rat, it poops like a rat and it sqeeks like a rat...

Chet, sorry to hear about YOUR billing problem. But what does this have to do with the subject of this thread?

ChetK said:
Bringing up illegal sales tax is not an outlet.

Fine. And I completely agree with what the customers are saying. I have inquire about an explanation as well and haven't gotten one yet. I want to hear VOOM's side of the story as well.

ChetK said:
My point still remains. It doesn't matter the total number of subscribers there are. What really matters is that the fact still remains that it is more possible that Voom will mess up your billing vs. the other satellite providers out there.

This is where I disagree with you ChetK. I have been with E* for over five years and there has been story of people having billing problems with autopay as well whether they cancel or not. I am sure the same can apply to D*. Just because there has been problems with a few customers on (E*, D* or Cable), you don't see me posting "Everybody will have problems with their billing". That is a generalization that is very far from the fact that the majority did not. Why these small pool of customers had problems with their billing? I have explained that as well in another post. I hope to get it for you.

ChetK said:
It's also proven that if you do have billing problems with Voom, it takes too long or you will never get the money Voom owes you back.

Yes, that is true it takes long 6-8 weeks but again "you will never get the money Voom owes you back" is an exaggeration of the truth. Point me to someone who never got it back! That is completely false. Delays yes but never it is only your opiniated remark.

ChetK said:
You may have never had problems with Voom billing, but that could be because you've never cancelled and does not erase the fact that the problem still remains.

ChetK if you had bother to do search on this forum, you could easily see that I went through the groin pains of having billed double back in November when I first got VOOM. It took them up to January/February to refund me all my money back. Again it was delayed and I was angry about it. Yes, I contacted my CC company and put a claim through but before the claim went through the money was refunded.

I've had problems with Dish and Voom but they were both resolved within 1 billing cycle.

i was double charged for a month and billed two months after i quit voom.i was told by the csr that alot of former voom customers are having this problem.VOOM in my opinion will have a class action coming their way in the future. :cool:

Sean Mota said:
Not everybody had a "financial suicide" with their credit cards and VOOM. Mine is in autopay and it is working fine. Yes, some had problems with it but if you ask how many, you will not see that this reflects the majority.

Sean's remark gives the impression that "autopay" is optional with VOOM. I only had wished that was true when I signed up.

Not all 35,000 subs come to this forum (even though some moderators might want you to believe otherwise). So I would say 10 is a high number of complaints from hard core users that post here since there's probably only 20 posters that really discuss VOOM pros and cons on a day-to-day basis.

weagle said:

Voom is very f-uped on this subject, they really need to think again as all they aer doing is limiting the sub base. Why turn money away?

ChetK said:

I don't understand why would voom not activate it? If the account is closed obviously it can be reopened under new name/address/credit card? Why would it be a financial suicide (assuming there is no outstanding balance?) besides cc's can be charged back if they are not fair.

I'm also wondering if i have problems is it easier to say i bought it used and it didn't come with the access card and they send me a new one since the access card is all that voom asks (assuming here?), that is what some people do on directv if they don't want the risk of getting it activated on a card that has heaps load of ppv stuff on the card and not yet downloaded.

thanks.

I think since Voom uses Installs Inc for activation and they think the end user is too damned stupid to install their own gear, they won't activate. It's not like there are black boxes out there that will pirate their programming.

My installer forgot my 2nd stb when he came out so I arranged to meet him in Portland to pick it up as I was going to be there anyway and it would save him a trip. I brought it home, installed it and called Voom to activate it and they about had a cow. They patched me through to Installs Inc and I had it up and running within 5 minutes.

Voom really needs to cut loose on the mandatory installs. This is the first install I've ever had done by someone else and I did half the work myself.

weagle said:
I don't understand why would voom not activate it? If the account is closed obviously it can be reopened under new name/address/credit card? Why would it be a financial suicide (assuming there is no outstanding balance?) besides cc's can be charged back if they are not fair.

I'm also wondering if i have problems is it easier to say i bought it used and it didn't come with the access card and they send me a new one since the access card is all that voom asks (assuming here?), that is what some people do on directv if they don't want the risk of getting it activated on a card that has heaps load of ppv stuff on the card and not yet downloaded.

thanks.

There are no GOOD reasons for BAD buisness practices, this type of thing (ignoring DYI installs and used STB's) makes one wonder if Voom really belives that they will be around long term. Id Voom just makeing itself ripe for a buy-out?

They sure as hell aren't trying to get more subs, any way that they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)