Buzz Buzz: Google launches Buzz for real-time mobile and desktop sharing

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Buzz Buzz: Google launches Buzz for real-time mobile and desktop sharing

Google held a press event this morning to launch Google Buzz, their new system for real-time sharing of everything from Twitter-style conversations to photos and other media. Buzz will exist inside of Google's GMail interface, but the company also introduced three new location-aware mobile products:
- Google Buzz via m.Google.com homepage for Android and iPhone
- Mobile App: buzz.google.com
- Buzz-enabled Google Maps for Symbian, Windows Mobile, Android
I'm hard-pressed just yet to figure out exactly what Buzz is, wants to, or will be, but it also seems to be Google's attempt to destroy twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Yelp! and Flickr/Photobucket all at the same time. There's twitter-like public sharing and closed-group private sharing of test, photos, links, and other media. There's location-aware maps and social networking on the go via the mobile versions of buzz. There's some kind of "get the buzz on what's around you" that seems like it might be a mashup of Foursquare's "checking in" and Yelp!s user reviews.
And there's some kind of Enterprise product, as well.
More as we, uh, figure out what's going on here.
Any of you who've been following the Buzz (sorry, had to make the pun), what's your take? Is Google Buzz buzzworthy?

I wish that Buzz - which integrates into gmail nicely - would integrate with facebook, i.e., post a status in buzz and it goes to FB and twitter all at once. And then just use buzz to connect to people you really want to stay current with, and not the broader world.

I turned buzz on, and supposedly I am linked with 9 or 10 people I know, but no one has used it yet, so it is doing nothing.

OH link me mike :)

Also my take on The part of buzz I am interested in is this, buzz on maps...I am always wondering whats around here that is good? where are the good coffee shops and such and now I know, with a quick pull of google maps I can get info of whats around me and see where people like to eat and dont like to eat. So the next time I have 20 chinese shops in a three mile radius I can choose the best one...and yes I know this is all participant dependent but if it takes off, then this aspect of it could be really cool!!

edit: disregard this after further reading it is not a review thing, but just what people are saying in the area...not about certain shops...my bad.

Last edited:
OH link me mike :)

Also my take on The part of buzz I am interested in is this, buzz on maps...I am always wondering whats around here that is good? where are the good coffee shops and such and now I know, with a quick pull of google maps I can get info of whats around me and see where people like to eat and dont like to eat. So the next time I have 20 chinese shops in a three mile radius I can choose the best one...and yes I know this is all participant dependent but if it takes off, then this aspect of it could be really cool!!

All I have for you in my gmail account is a sbcglobal address. Link me if you'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike I took out your personal email addy, I dont know if you really want to give that out, if you do go ahead and re-edit it...also I sent you a email today at that address..did you not get it?

Mike I took out your personal email addy, I dont know if you really want to give that out, if you do go ahead and re-edit it...also I sent you a email today at that address..did you not get it?

I did not. And thanks for removing that. Not sure why I did not send it via PM. DOH! :)

I Might have to step out of buzz for a bit, I am reading it exposes some email address and people can see who I have been emailing, sadly I have email address that I would rather not give out...and due to privacy concerns, I am sure that some of my partners in business dont want given out either, I know they are starting to throw some security in there, but until I Know for sure I am ducking out. :(

I Might have to step out of buzz for a bit, I am reading it exposes some email address and people can see who I have been emailing, sadly I have email address that I would rather not give out...and due to privacy concerns, I am sure that some of my partners in business dont want given out either, I know they are starting to throw some security in there, but until I Know for sure I am ducking out. :(

I am not sure I understand your concern. People can see who you have been emailing? That makes no sense. All I can see in Buzz is what people have posted in Buzz - and only those for whom I am following. Explain please.

I didnt opt out, but I did go through my list and make sure best what I could who I was following and who was following me...baisically I had people I had only emailed once or twice, and I had others on there that I email frequently, and it exposed contact info that shouldnt really be made public ( its not anyone really, but my business partners are private about their email as they should be.)

I don't think it's a flaw. It seems that Buzz is designed to capture all the e-mail addresses that you have so they can design advertising for you and your contacts--specifically addressed spam.

From what's already posted on Facebook, those under 25 don't care, but it's not for those of us who value any privacy at all--and I selected "Nah, just take me to e-mail" and it still throws all your info into Buzz. Guess I'm glad I just created a gmail account, because there's nothing there. Back to hotmail and yahoo! for me.

There really needs to be a unification of twitter, gowala, foursquare, buzz, and buzz just added to the noise IMO, rather than bridging the gap between them all and other similar social services.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)