Bye Bye Hopper Go

I thought they bricked those years ago. Or was that ANOTHER portable Dish recording player?
My WAG: You are thinking of the PocketDish. It wasn't bricked, but rather cast off with no support shortly after being released by Dish. I had an Archos 404CC (for camcorder) which was similar and I had hoped my 625 might be able to load it up. Alas, that was not possible. The closest I came was the mpeg2/dd plug-in for the 404 which allowed ME to copy stuff I'd ripped from the 625 internal disk, or from DVD, to it's internal disk (30GB comes to mind) via my computer. No such thing as going directly from the 625. I think the PocketDish could do that...

I had been meaning to buy a Hopper Go, but never got around to it. My aunt got one fairly early in their release, but she used only a few times.

I really want to know what the upgrade to Dish Anywhere would be to replace the Hopper GO? Perhaps some storage in the "cloud"?

BTW, I can't stand how on Dish Anywhere when I skip ahead or back, it looks like it disconnects from the network and then reconnects to the network. It is a LONG and PAINFUL process to skip forward or back on Dish Anywhere. WHY? I usually just stop watching live or DVR content on Dish Anywhere because the skip experience is that bad.

BTW, I can't stand how on Dish Anywhere when I skip ahead or back, it looks like it disconnects from the network and then reconnects to the network. It is a LONG and PAINFUL process to skip forward or back on Dish Anywhere. WHY? I usually just stop watching live or DVR content on Dish Anywhere because the skip experience is that bad.
When you skip forward or back with a digital stream, the intervening data still has to be transferred. How fast that happens is related to your available data transfer speeds. Think of it somewhat like the old cassette or reel to reel tape recorders. To reach a particular location on the tape, all the tape between that location and the current location had to be wound from one reel to the other at whatever fast forward or reverse speed was available.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I haven’t had that problem. But I haven’t used it in over a year, since we’ll before I retired. I mostly used it at work at lunch….Cough, cough ruined even that.

• Haha
When you skip forward or back with a digital stream, the intervening data still has to be transferred. How fast that happens is related to your available data transfer speeds. Think of it somewhat like the old cassette or reel to reel tape recorders. To reach a particular location on the tape, all the tape between that location and the current location had to be wound from one reel to the other at whatever fast forward or reverse speed was available.
Yes, that is why rental videos always had stickers on them saying "Be Kind, Rewind." There were even separate tape-rewinding machines (for VHS anyway, not sure about Beta) that could rewind the tapes really quickly, so you didn't have to wait as long nor wear out your VCR using it to do the rewinding.

My WAG: You are thinking of the PocketDish. It wasn't bricked, but rather cast off with no support shortly after being released by Dish. I had an Archos 404CC (for camcorder) which was similar and I had hoped my 625 might be able to load it up. Alas, that was not possible. The closest I came was the mpeg2/dd plug-in for the 404 which allowed ME to copy stuff I'd ripped from the 625 internal disk, or from DVD, to it's internal disk (30GB comes to mind) via my computer. No such thing as going directly from the 625. I think the PocketDish could do that...
Here you go. From the Menu of my 512:
0623212357-00.jpg0623212357-01.jpg0623212357-02.jpg
The "external recording device" being referenced here is the PocketDish. This was way before the ability to transfer recordings to an external hard drive. The plus side was that you apparently could set timers to record directly to the PocketDish, instead of needing to use the internal hard drive first.

Reactions: TheKrell
Here you go. From the Menu of my 512:
View attachment 152356View attachment 152357View attachment 152358
The "external recording device" being referenced here is the PocketDish. This was way before the ability to transfer recordings to an external hard drive. The plus side was that you apparently could set timers to record directly to the PocketDish, instead of needing to use the internal hard drive first.
I am in awe that you actually found (have?) some screen captures of a 512. I can't even locate a picture of the back panel! Did that receiver have a USB jack? IIRC my 625 had one USB 1.1 jack. Aha. I found the 522/625 manual here: http://www.dbsinstall.com/PDF/Manuals/Dish_Player_DVR_522_Chapter2_web.pdf That shows a single USB jack on the rhs of the back panel picture. It isn't mentioned in the description of the other back panel jacks.

Last edited:
I’m in the middle of a road trip and the idea of the Go is a great one for this scenario.

Thankfully my wife’s car has the DVD player and dual Monitors built in. Kids watched moves and never fought once.

That is why I don’t have one. Just not enough need for it.

looking forward to the Hopper plus to see if it works for me.

Do we know that the H+ is new Hopper hardware? I thought Scott already told us there is no new Hopper (yet).
Yes, that is what got us speculating that the Hopper Plus must be some kind of Hopper accessory for the existing models instead. Without any further details, the Hopper Plus could conceivably be any new device we want it to be. :D

Yes, that is what got us speculating that the Hopper Plus must be some kind of Hopper accessory for the existing models instead. Without any further details, the Hopper Plus could conceivably be any new device we want it to be. :D
Wonder how it will attach to the Hopper! I don't have any more ports to plug in the new Hopper Plus.

Wonder how it will attach to the Hopper! I don't have any more ports to plug in the new Hopper Plus.
Maybe the Hopper Plus will have a built-in USB hub. You add the Plus (for whatever functionality it adds) and that also gives you more USB ports to add all kinds of Hopper accessories. This way, Dish ensures that the USB hub you are using is Dish-approved, by building the hub into a piece of their hardware.