Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Welp less then a year from being changed to From the Pentagon Channel to DOD News, it has been announced the channel is going off the air this week.

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=128588

What I find interesting is I am told by DISH that the new Defense channel will replace DOD on DISH, yet in the press release above it says that Defense will be strictly an on demand channel.

"As technology improved and audience-viewing habits changed, officials explained, Internet-based distribution became a more economical and efficient way to reach the military's geographically dispersed audiences."

Meh, code for budget cuts. I'm sure high-speed Internet isn't THAT accessible across the globe. LOL

"As technology improved and audience-viewing habits changed, officials explained, Internet-based distribution became a more economical and efficient way to reach the military's geographically dispersed audiences."

Meh, code for budget cuts. I'm sure high-speed Internet isn't THAT accessible across the globe. LOL

Across the globe? I cant even get high speed Internet here in the USA.

Well that's a shame some dumb guy thinks internet is better than good old fashioned satellite feed without clogging the internet's bandwith!:mad:

Proud to be a Air Force Brat thanks to my Dad who fought in the Nam.:usa

Reactions: ken2400
And, when our nation's information networks are "attacked" in a big way (God forbid, but...let's face it, the 'net has become a backbone of modern existence and an obvious target.....) They'll scramble (no pun intended) wishing the satellite feed was still up and running. Everyone acts like the 'net is the save all of communications. We all enjoy it, but...well, preaching to the choir does no good now, does it!

The Internet is one of the most vulnerable forms of communications there is.
One DOS attack or two away from total shutdown. The military should know better than that.
It is not the do all save all everyone thinks it is and not available in a vast percentage
of square mileage in this country in usable speeds.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)