BYOR (bring your own receiver)

yardline

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 21, 2005
I've been away from Dish for 2 years, ready to come back, but looking for a very basic package without a commitment. If I want to buy my own VIP622 from DishDepot, install it and call up Dish to activate. Where can I find the cost of packages without equipment.

I've been away from Dish for 2 years, ready to come back, but looking for a very basic package without a commitment. If I want to buy my own VIP622 from DishDepot, install it and call up Dish to activate. Where can I find the cost of packages without equipment.

The regular prices are the same no matter what equipment you have. You will pay the regular package price along with a DVR fee regardless if you own or lease the receiver.

Just curious, any particular reason a 622? That one is pretty long in the tooth. If I were getting a two tuner dual output (1 HD, 1 SD) DVR, I would try to find a 722K, that was always the best one of those to me.

Reactions: TheKrell
My guess would be because of price.
I went to the website to see if they had any 722K's anymore and noticed the price difference. I would check eBay for a 722K, I bought three new HWS units off of there in 2014 for about $150 each. There might be a seller that had a used one (of course check with Dish to see if it is a good number) or a refurbished model for sale at cheaper than $200.

I have to say it would be nice if Dish would split the cost of equipment and service, I took a long time but cell phone providers finally split the cost and if you want to buy your own phone you can save a bunch.

I have to say it would be nice if Dish would split the cost of equipment and service, I took a long time but cell phone providers finally split the cost and if you want to buy your own phone you can save a bunch.

Dish already gives new customers free equipment along with the install. They also give free or deeply discounted upgrades to new equipment. Not sure what more you could want?

I wonder if what I am reading about no cablecard requirements on cable boxes will bleed over into satellite to allow competition to manufacture satellite boxes as well.

As soon as I get my H3 upgrade, I have a 722 in pristine condition that I own and have no need for anymore. It is about a year and a half old and never had a glitch. Instead of the regular closed top cover it has a louvered cover from a ViP222 for better heat dissipation. If you're interested, I'd sell it to you. There is no money owed on the account so there will be no issue whatsoever to get it activated.

You are not paying to have a receiver from DISH, there is no equipment cost to share, there is no lease fee charged to you. You pay to use their software that they own and control. That's why owning a DISH receiver saves no money. (Unless you only need it seasonally) or know you will not be around for a commitment) Further, they already do not charge for the first receiver you have, unlike Directv and some other providers. (They do charge a one time DVR fee if it is a receiver with DVR software)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)