BYU to go Independent ala Notre Dame

- The smart move for the MWC is to get full at 12. Pick up Hawaii and then make a geographically logical deal with CUSA to pick up some teams, with CUSA picking up some teams out of the Sun Belt. Then morph the MTN network into a joint CUSA-MWC network and then demand a deal where the best team from those 24 get a BcS slot.

The MTN is part of the problem and essentially why BYU is gone.

The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network: Get The Mtn.

It isn't carried by:

- DISH
- Comcast
- Time Warner in some markets
- FIOS
- Charger

meStevo said:
While I can agree with the sentiment, it isn't the main reason why BYU has left...

They just saw their in-state rival picked up by a prestigious BCS conference, and the first of the three new additions from the WAC was a BCS winner last year. With TCU and Boise State, the MWC got quite a bit harder in football.

BYU wanted that invite from the Pac-10. BYU simply wants in.

The reality, as I detailed in the BigTen divsional thread, is that expansion is not done. The Pac-10 is going to attempt its own network a la the BigTen. Either that or because BYU can start its own network maybe they want in with the Big XII.

BYU now wants a bigger conference because their in-state rival is in a bigger conference.

How so? The Big East champion gets a guaranteed BSC invite, but Notre Dame football isn't in the Big East. Potentially, ND and the Big East champ could play each other in a BCS bowl.

Not talking about the BcS.

UND has two deals. If UND has a record and rating that equals the lowest BcS automatic qualifier, it gets 1 of the two "wild card" BcS slots. Nothing to do with the Leastleftovers' slot. UND esentually is "stealing" one of the wild card slots.

If UND does not make the BcS, the Leastleftovers has, like every conference, a strict progression of bowl slots based on conference finish. #2 goes to the Champs Sports in Orlando, #3 goes to the Car Care in San Antonio, #4 goes to the Pinstripe in NYC, #5 goes to the Birmingham in Birmingham or the Liberty in Memphis (the years alternate) and #6 goes to the Beef O'Brady's in St. Pete. BUT, unlike every other conference, UND participates in the mix with the Leastleftovers. Wherever UND would have finished in that league (actually somewhat more complicated than that, but lets just go with that for this discussion) UND "steals" that slot and eveybody in the Leastleftovers moves down one.

Now on to BYU. Could BYU make a similar deal relative to the BcS? Sure. If BYU belongs in the BcS one year, they will get it one of the wild card slots.

But what if it does not? Every bowl has a strict deal just like the one I described above. #2 goes here, #3 goes there, etc. The only "open" slots are when a conf does not have enough winning teams to fill its slots (ex: the Big 12 has 8 deals, but only had 7 winning teams last year, so its #8 slot fell to an "open" and the bowl took a MAC schools, since the MAC had more winning teams than it has slots).

So, BYU goes, say 10-2. But does not get in the BcS. Without a special deal with some conf, BYU would fall all the way to the bottom of the bowl world, playing in some pre-Christmas nothing bowl, since those are the ones that get freed up by the big confs not filling their slots.

...Car Care... Pinstripe... Beef O'Brady's.

Them ain't names I grew up with. The venue named events lost their mystique with me when the Hartford Opens began rapidly rotating its co-sponsors, probably in the early 1970s.

Last edited:
So tell me what happens when you have all these "Mega Conferences"?

All the Northwestern's of the world, win's the conference once a decade, are going to go by the way side. No way in hell they can compete with the influx of talent and powerhouse teams added to the conference.

Careful what you wish for.

The divide will be greater and much more out of reach then it is now.

So tell me what happens when you have all these "Mega Conferences"?

All the Northwestern's of the world, win's the conference once a decade, are going to go by the way side. No way in hell they can compete with the influx of talent and powerhouse teams added to the conference.

I agree and said the same thing in another thread.

Davedirectv said:

When was the last time Vanderbilt or Kentucky won the SEC?

The reality is that nothing changes for the haves and the have nots. The difference is it will get harder to possibly run the table. Look at how many times the Big XII had one of those conference game upsets.

I also have to point out what "powerhouses" would be added elsewhere? The BigTen picked up Nebraska, and no offense, they haven't exactly been barnburners. The Pac10 picked up Utah and Colorado, and it will still be a while before either can win the conference in football.

The reality is no one is adding a powerhouse. Not yet anyway...

When was the last time Vanderbilt or Kentucky won the SEC?

The reality is that nothing changes for the haves and the have nots. The difference is it will get harder to possibly run the table. Look at how many times the Big XII had one of those conference game upsets.

I also have to point out what "powerhouses" would be added elsewhere? The BigTen picked up Nebraska, and no offense, they haven't exactly been barnburners. The Pac10 picked up Utah and Colorado, and it will still be a while before either can win the conference in football.

The reality is no one is adding a powerhouse. Not yet anyway...

Well I guess Northwestern is a step ahead of the Vanderbilts and Kentucky's of the world.

And if you notice I did say talent and powerhouses. So pick and choose my words as you like, but don't expect me to half explain myself, when I wholly meant the post.

Nebraska sure isn't a powerhouse. What are they then? According to the Preseason Polls (LOL) they are #10. Sounds pretty good to me.

Like you and the Big Ten, I could care less about the SEC. I mean, I get the SEC is god and anyone is, is just that: anyone else.

But Really? How does the SEC have any relevance to this conversation?

When it comes to the big ten, a conference that actually is changing, i think a lot changes for the have and haves nots. The have nots, will never have again, instead of having something once a decade or so.

Last edited:
Davedirectv said:
When it comes to the big ten, a conference that actually is changing, i think a lot changes for the have and haves nots. The have nots, will never have again, instead of having something once a decade or so.

Penn State added to the Big Ten, to become 11 schools.

Northwestern football wins title a couple of years later.

Nebraska added to the Big Ten, to become 12 schools.

And between those two time periods, a couple of schools won the majority of those titles, while quite few haven't won a title at all.

I suppose one can go back to 1990, and see there are ten schools in the Big Ten, and in a couple of years, there will be sixteen. I recall that the laws of probability would state on average that a school would win once every sixteen years, and then if said school is horrible (ahem Indiana ahem) then it becomes longer and longer. :)
Davedirectv said:
But Really? How does the SEC have any relevance to this conversation?
The SEC handed out invites to Oklahoma and Texas A&M when the BigXII was close to oblivion, right before the 'horns decided to keep the conference together.

So we know everyone (except for maybe the BigXII) is ready to pounce/poach.

The Mtn. - MountainWest Sports Network: Get The Mtn.

It isn't carried by:

- DISH
- Comcast
- Time Warner in some markets
- FIOS
- Charger

The Mtn. is on Comcast systems in MWC states. As for BYU getting a raw TV deal, four home games on national TV - 3 on ESPN/ABC and 1 on ESPNU - plus I bet half of the road games will be on national TV as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)