Status
Please reply by conversation.

towerdude

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 1, 2010
SW COLORADO
Good Morning. I need some examples of C Band hobbyists who will be greatly impacted by having to register each C Band dish they currently have and will be impacted by the proposed 5G takeover of 100 mhz of C Band real estate.
The National Translator Association is looking for these examples to show the FCC the hardship by having to pay $425 per C Band dish being registered.
We need to have some information by this evening if possible.

thanks for you help
wayne johnson
NTA

Good Morning. I need some examples of C Band hobbyists who will be greatly impacted by having to register each C Band dish they currently have and will be impacted by the proposed 5G takeover of 100 mhz of C Band real estate.
The National Translator Association is looking for these examples to show the FCC the hardship by having to pay $425 per C Band dish being registered.
We need to have some information by this evening if possible.

thanks for you help
wayne johnson
NTA

I’m pretty sure it’s commercial earth stations that have to register. Not residential C-Band dish owners. I can tell you I wouldn’t (and won’t) by paying $425 to “register” a CBand dish (I don’t have one currently)

Reactions: norman881
On form 312, the registration asks the nature of service, and check box number E states direct to home fixed satellite.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Listen, we are just trying, as an organization, to get the fee waved. If you follow the trade periodicals, there’s a good chance we are going to lose over 100 MHz of C Band. If the 5G people get that real estate, the registered owners of C Band dishes may get some assistance for the interference that will be caused.

Listen, we are just trying, as an organization, to get the fee waved. If you follow the trade periodicals, there’s a good chance we are going to lose over 100 MHz of C Band. If the 5G people get that real estate, the registered owners of C Band dishes may get some assistance for the interference that will be caused.

Wayne, thank you for your efforts.
Bruce

We were told at the convention, that every receive C Band dish needs to be registered. Part of the issue, is that the FCC does not think there is many users of the C band.
I know that many users on this forum feel that registering your dish would be akin to registering your gun. Hopefully there is a large enough number register to help mitigate the problem is we are all going to feel.

Should only have to pay for licensing when transmitting on a restricted frequency or band; at least here in Canada and USA. Other countries might be different though. Think GB used to require a license and fee for installing a TV set and antenna, but this may no longer be in affect there.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
To be CLEAR, as a broadcaster on this board, NOBODY is demanding any hobbyists register their dishes. NOBODY is making radio stations do it either, or TV stations for that matter. The idea is protection in the future from interference possible if the frequencies are shared in a hostile manner (my words) so that stations like mine do not lose the use of our dishes which we use for CBS or other network feeds due to the installation of competing technologies.

While hobbyists can register, I think it's more important that you read the attached letter sent by our contract engineering firm to us yesterday, then put together a polite, well-worded comment for the FCC on the importance to you of reception via C-band. The FCC has no way of knowing how many of us there are using these services, nor how important the services of FTA are to us.

That having been said, at least in my case, even if I didn't have a radio station, if the majority of my entertainment was from FTA, I'd register. While it's no guarantee that there won't be an issue down the road, at least I would have "raised my hand" to say, NO, I'm not going to shell out big bucks each month for subscription TV which in the long run will cost more than registering my dish(es.) BTW, it's not a per-dish issue, either. If I understand correctly, it covers anything within one degree of the registered dish.

Here's the letter explaining things to radio stations that are clients of Munn-reese. Please only contact them if you plan to use their services, they are a business which keeps radio and TV stations on the air and handles new licenses and all the support we need, but I have permission from them to post this to help folks understand more about this registration initiative. The big thing right now is there is no frequency coordination required for registering.

Munn-Reese encourages our FTA family to write the FCC during the comment period. Don't delay. Get your thoughts together. Posting your letters might also help others to write their own.

I hope this is of some help.

To be CLEAR, as a broadcaster on this board, NOBODY is demanding any hobbyists register their dishes. NOBODY is making radio stations do it either, or TV stations for that matter. The idea is protection in the future from interference possible if the frequencies are shared in a hostile manner (my words) so that stations like mine do not lose the use of our dishes which we use for CBS or other network feeds due to the installation of competing technologies.

While hobbyists can register, I think it's more important that you read the attached letter sent by our contract engineering firm to us yesterday, then put together a polite, well-worded comment for the FCC on the importance to you of reception via C-band. The FCC has no way of knowing how many of us there are using these services, nor how important the services of FTA are to us.

That having been said, at least in my case, even if I didn't have a radio station, if the majority of my entertainment was from FTA, I'd register. While it's no guarantee that there won't be an issue down the road, at least I would have "raised my hand" to say, NO, I'm not going to shell out big bucks each month for subscription TV which in the long run will cost more than registering my dish(es.) BTW, it's not a per-dish issue, either. If I understand correctly, it covers anything within one degree of the registered dish.

Here's the letter explaining things to radio stations that are clients of Munn-reese. Please only contact them if you plan to use their services, they are a business which keeps radio and TV stations on the air and handles new licenses and all the support we need, but I have permission from them to post this to help folks understand more about this registration initiative. The big thing right now is there is no frequency coordination required for registering.

Munn-Reese encourages our FTA family to write the FCC during the comment period. Don't delay. Get your thoughts together. Posting your letters might also help others to write their own.

I hope this is of some help.

Thank you for posting the letter from your consultant. I think "registering" for $425 sounds like a money grab by the FCC. Why should anyone have to pay to tell them they are using a C-Band dish, especially a home user? If they are truly concerned about how many earth stations, broadcasters and home users are out there, they should make a user-friendly website where people can easily and inexpensively indicate that they use a C-Band dish.

Something about this whole process doesn't seem right to me. But what do I know? :rolleyes

There's two sides to this to remember, especially here. It's not aimed at home users. the "home" MARKET for C-band doesn't officially exist to the FCC. They're not interested in investing to protect home C-band in the bigger picture, they're trying to cover an issue that may affect broadcasters. Think of the sheer number of dishes used at radio and TV stations to bring you the local TV you're used to enjoying. Those operators are the intended audience. Those of us here who are passionate about the hobby need to realize that it is, in all reality a HOBBY for most, and that it's a crap shoot now, not only in what feeds are up there, but for how long protection from interfering signals our dishes are free.

As hobbyists, we have no right to complain when things change. We recognize the risks when we install and maintain our own equipment. I'm not suggesting that any of us here pay the bucks. I am, because my personal dishes reside at my business which NEEDS C-band to deliver part of my programming in a quality, reliable manner as pointed out by Munn-Reese.

HOBBYISTS here, don't have to pay and/or register, but the mindset has to change to one of, (reluctantly for me, too) that the hobby as we KNOW it today may change, or may be in jeopardy. THAT is where you make a difference. Please don't let this hobby go by the wayside, and don't let the members here become like the faceook community which constantly complains, promotes bad/wrong information, and does nothing but bi**h when asked to voice opinions to those in control.

Start working on making a formal letter to the FCC during the public comment time. They DO read them. I've written a few for broadcasting. Don't make it whiney, don't demand, and don't push. Just point out the importance to (the collective/individual) "you" of the ability to receive transmissions and make it sound logical and important. This issue goes right back to what we've said on the radio the last few weeks in Michigan about our elections for local school funding. If you don't vote, you (the collective) have no right to complain when things don't go the way you want them.

I'm not defending the FCC by any means for sharing technology and endangering C-band, and if anyone has a right to complain it's broadcasters like me, not the home user...but I'll be writing a letter addressing both to the FCC over the next few days, for sure. I hope you and the rest of our FTA family will do the same.

Imagine the (good) impression this group could make if we all gave them polite input at the FCC!

There's two sides to this to remember, especially here....
Very well said Jim. Thanks for taking the time to write that post.
It got bad enough in the other thread, I had shut it down. :( It did just that, started to sound like Facebook.
It were as if, we were a bunch of boot-leggers and someone wanted us to register our moonshine stills.

There's two sides to this to remember, especially here. It's not aimed at home users. the "home" MARKET for C-band doesn't officially exist to the FCC. They're not interested in investing to protect home C-band in the bigger picture, they're trying to cover an issue that may affect broadcasters. Think of the sheer number of dishes used at radio and TV stations to bring you the local TV you're used to enjoying. Those operators are the intended audience. Those of us here who are passionate about the hobby need to realize that it is, in all reality a HOBBY for most, and that it's a crap shoot now, not only in what feeds are up there, but for how long protection from interfering signals our dishes are free.

As hobbyists, we have no right to complain when things change. We recognize the risks when we install and maintain our own equipment. I'm not suggesting that any of us here pay the bucks. I am, because my personal dishes reside at my business which NEEDS C-band to deliver part of my programming in a quality, reliable manner as pointed out by Munn-Reese.

HOBBYISTS here, don't have to pay and/or register, but the mindset has to change to one of, (reluctantly for me, too) that the hobby as we KNOW it today may change, or may be in jeopardy. THAT is where you make a difference. Please don't let this hobby go by the wayside, and don't let the members here become like the faceook community which constantly complains, promotes bad/wrong information, and does nothing but bi**h when asked to voice opinions to those in control.

Start working on making a formal letter to the FCC during the public comment time. They DO read them. I've written a few for broadcasting. Don't make it whiney, don't demand, and don't push. Just point out the importance to (the collective/individual) "you" of the ability to receive transmissions and make it sound logical and important. This issue goes right back to what we've said on the radio the last few weeks in Michigan about our elections for local school funding. If you don't vote, you (the collective) have no right to complain when things don't go the way you want them.

I'm not defending the FCC by any means for sharing technology and endangering C-band, and if anyone has a right to complain it's broadcasters like me, not the home user...but I'll be writing a letter addressing both to the FCC over the next few days, for sure. I hope you and the rest of our FTA family will do the same.

Imagine the (good) impression this group could make if we all gave them polite input at the FCC!

Would you be willing to post and share a sample letter we could use to send to the FCC after you write yours?

I’m not sure what to say, but I’m willing to try.

The FCC isn't who's charging $425 to register dishes, it's Munn-Reese, if I read things correctly. As for that, yeah, they can go pound sand.

As far as contacting the FCC directly and letting them know how important C band is to me, that I might do, if I knew how to do it. I looked on their site and didn't see anything that I could be positive was the correct place.

Maybe if those of you asking us to contact the FCC gave instructions on where to send a letter, you might get better results? Maybe a few tips on things to mention? Are you talking of an actual mailed letter, or email, and to what address, site, etc?

Those of you here that are broadcasters probably have dealt with the FCC before in one way or another, most of us on here I'm sure have not. I myself never have and have no clue if there's a certain department, person, etc, to contact.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)