C-band DVB with digital receiver only question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drapati

Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
Hello,

I finally acquired an older 10 foot dish with C-band LNB and feedhorn.

I only need to pick AMC6, so no actuator control is necessary,
and, to make things even simpler, I only need to pick the 4060H frequency.

I have a digital DVB receiver (Samsung SFT702M PLus - not the best but it has served me well so far). After reading around a little bit,
it seems that I would not need an analog receiver if I can get to set the polarizer at the feedhorn manually to pick
up the H polarization. Does anyone know how to do this? Can this
be done by hand without powering up the polarizer motor?
I can see a small hinge inside the feedhorn, but I an not sure what that
does since I never had a C-band system before.

Also, do I need to send power to the LNB? It seems to be an older
C-band model (45 degrees). I know LNB power needs to be ON for
the Ku LNBs but not sure about this older C-band.

Thanks

You might just want to get a LNBF. Then the receiver would control the polarity

I have a C-Band dish with a 50 degree LNBA...got a LNBF and it would work better (now all I need is a clear southern view)

if you have a +5/pulse/grnd connection on the back of your reciever you can use the reciever to control the polarotor. That is what i am doing with my satworks 3618 and BUD. But you might find that you want to replace your LNB anyways and get a newer one with lower noise levels.

drapati said:
Hello,

I finally acquired an older 10 foot dish with C-band LNB and feedhorn.

I only need to pick AMC6, so no actuator control is necessary,
and, to make things even simpler, I only need to pick the 4060H frequency.

I have a digital DVB receiver (Samsung SFT702M PLus - not the best but it has served me well so far). After reading around a little bit,
it seems that I would not need an analog receiver if I can get to set the polarizer at the feedhorn manually to pick
up the H polarization. Does anyone know how to do this? Can this
be done by hand without powering up the polarizer motor?
I can see a small hinge inside the feedhorn, but I an not sure what that
does since I never had a C-band system before.

Also, do I need to send power to the LNB? It seems to be an older
C-band model (45 degrees). I know LNB power needs to be ON for
the Ku LNBs but not sure about this older C-band.

Thanks

Yes you need to power the LNB and it is possible to manually adjust the polarity by removing the polorizer motor and turning the probe by turning the slot under the polorizer motor but be careful that you don't force it and then the motor can then be turned to line up with the slot and put back together to keep it clean and dry. I would recommend that you just get an analog receiver though and get more use out of the dish, a C-band dish is a terrible thing to waste.

Wayn23 said:
Yes you need to power the LNB and it is possible to manually adjust the polarity by removing the polorizer motor and turning the probe by turning the slot under the polorizer motor but be careful that you don't force it and then the motor can then be turned to line up with the slot and put back together to keep it clean and dry. I would recommend that you just get an analog receiver though and get more use out of the dish, a C-band dish is a terrible thing to waste.

I agree, there is so much up there with a big dish.

Thanks for all the info. I will try the manual trick before getting an LNBF, just for the fun of it.

I have more plans for the dish, and will eventually make the investment for an actuator (the one that came with the dish is not working) and an analog receiver at some point.

I used to take apart my actuator every year or so and clean it all up inside, it may be worth a try the brushes are "Usually" the cause of failure I found. My 1.7meter dish would motor very slowly then when I cleaned up it would really move fast for a few months then start to slow down again : ) Maybe worth a try.

analog receivers and newer c-band LNBFs

So, I ordered a C-band LNBF to use with my digital receiver.
In the meantime I was thinking to get an analog receiver on Ebay.

Which model works well with the newer LNBFs? After some reading,
I understand that the analog receivers usually have a hook-up for
the separate 3-wire polarotor configuration to change polarity.

Are there any analog receivers that can do 13v/18v polarity switching
with the newer LNBFs? Any recommendations on which one to get?

thanks

They all use the above voltage polarity switching method (H/V)
I use the Toshiba TRX-1520 for KU analog signals. I have it looped through from a DVB receiver and whatever polarity the DVB receiver is on the analog is also on, then its all hooked to my motorized dish. Some amazing picture quality on analog.

A GI 650 and the 4dtv units have selection for either mechanical polorizer switching of the feed for the LNB or 13/18 vdc LNBF switching. I believe the the later models of Unidens also had LNBF support. Many others brands also have LNBF support, but it has been several years since we have provided tech support for analog receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts