OTHER C-Band on the tiny

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

d00d3l

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
College Station TX
I have two dishes - one is a GeoSatPro which I currently use as my main FTA dish. It's only on KU band. Now... I was riding on my bike earlier today and I found a nice big white Fortec Star "Digital System Antenna" ! Awesome! So I put it on the bridge of my bike (between the handlebar and seat) and lugged it home. Even came with an LNB and motor. I also got my GSP free from a friend. Free dishes!!! So here's my question. My current receiver supports C band of course. There are so many more channels to explore on C band as well. So, I am thinking, buy a nice C band LNB, fix it on to this dish (as per usual) and buy it a pole. Would it work??? I honestly don't think so but it would be MUCH nicer than a big ass mesh dish from the 80s!! Thanks!

I have two dishes - one is a GeoSatPro which I currently use as my main FTA dish. It's only on KU band. Now... I was riding on my bike earlier today and I found a nice big white Fortec Star "Digital System Antenna" ! Awesome! So I put it on the bridge of my bike (between the handlebar and seat) and lugged it home. Even came with an LNB and motor. I also got my GSP free from a friend. Free dishes!!! So here's my question. My current receiver supports C band of course. There are so many more channels to explore on C band as well. So, I am thinking, buy a nice C band LNB, fix it on to this dish (as per usual) and buy it a pole. Would it work??? I honestly don't think so but it would be MUCH nicer than a big ass mesh dish from the 80s!! Thanks!
What size is this dish?

80 cm is about 31 inches; I personally would not invest a lot of money into receiving C band on that little dish. My feeling is that a 6 footer as my personal minimum is a given and even at that there are limitations. This is just my personal view. If you have some parts laying around then it could be an interesting experiment to see if your dish would work out. Keep us posted what you decide to do and the results.

How about I use the Fortec as my main KU dish and use my GeoSatPro for C-band? It seems that you would beed 120 CM (which is what my GSP is)
Yes, this would be your best bet. I would not even waste the time with an 80cm dish for C-Band. Whereas, a four footer you would be able to get a few things. :)

Just remember, you will also need a conical scalar to go with that C-Band LNBF, if you want to receive any C-Band on a 4 footer.

Reactions: danristheman
No, I would wait until you find at least a 4 footer. 6 or bigger would be better.
Nothing wrong with a big dish from the eighties, that is what you really in the end will need to receiver on C-Band.
There were cars in the eighties, people still have cars. :)
Remember most hobbies will not be the "norm" for the majority of the population. ;)

Reactions: danristheman
I know where I can get one for free, with the Channel Master LNB! We'd just have to dig it out of the ground, that's the only caveat. But other than that, every time I'm over at my aunt's where it is, I bring my FTA box with me and find crap!! She said she would pay me to get it off her yard, but honestly the dish IS the payment :p

I have seen many threads with C-band working on a 90CM dish, it *may* be worth a shot. Scientifically, why does C-band require a large dish but Ku can work even on a dish the size of a paper plate?

Reactions: sbrown1357
Yeah, those threads are just for bragging rights, and never anything reliable.

Without getting too deep...
C-Band uses a relatively lower frequency than Ku band. Thus, it has a longer wave length. So in order to work needs a larger reflector.

Reactions: Kallesatman
And the average c-band transponder puts out 25 watts to maybe 35 watts of power whereas the DBS providers such as Dish and Directv have transponders that put out over 100 watts of power. So with the higher frequencies with the KU band moving into the KA band and 4 times the power output means they can get away with a much smaller dish.

In some things it's not how big the device is but in how you use it, however with satellite reception capture area or dish antenna size is primary. There simply isn't enough capture area on the smaller dishes to provide you with much in the way of c-band no matter how carefully you aim it. It's fine to play around with it as a toy and when I did so on my 1.2 meter dish I did get a handful of watchable channels but nothing I was going to enjoy sitting back and watching. Interesting experiment but that is all.

Reactions: hank123
I have tried my 90cm dish with a Titanium C1-PLL lnbf and conical scaler and have recieved a few Cband channels here and there across the arc, but it's not reliable in rain, or in the daytime. I could get the leasea channels on 99w, but only at night. I could get City TV on 111.1w, shopping channels in HD and SD on 125w, and a few feeds on 55.5w day or night, along with a few channels not worth watching on 91w and 97w.

You will get more with a 1.2m or 1.8m dish. An 80 or 90cm dish is basically not worth using as a Cband dish. All my experiences were tested last summer (2016), and I'm done testing Cband untill I can find a 1.2m dish.

I use a 4 footer it works alright, I used to get a but not anymore. Its something to have if you don't have a big dish but you should always go with the bigger dish if you can.

Reactions: d00d3l

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)