Cable And Satellite Providers Required To Disclose “All In” Pricing Under Newly Passed FCC Rules

Boy when they have to post all their DVR Fees and additional receiver Fees in with the programming cost as well ,they will really see churn and a drop off of potential subs. I mean you would pay with a Hopper and two joeys :

$15.00 DVR FEE
$7.00 x 2 joeys =$14.00
----------------------------------------
$29.00 and that is before you add in programming costs.

I said along time ago that if you bought your own receivers you shouldn't have any extra fees. But that ship has sailed a long time ago. Just a matter of time before DISH goes into bankruptcy and or goes under. Cell phone service was never where they should of gotten into ,but that is all they will have left once the video entertainment portion goes under. :rolleyes:

Wasn't sure where to post this since it affects cable and both satellite companies.
I have a thread in the Pub about that, started it in December-

Reactions: charlesrshell
Boy when they have to post all their DVR Fees and additional receiver Fees in with the programming cost as well ,they will really see churn and a drop off of potential subs. I mean you would pay with a Hopper and two joeys :

$15.00 DVR FEE
$7.00 x 2 joeys =$14.00
----------------------------------------
$29.00 and that is before you add in programming costs.

I said along time ago that if you bought your own receivers you shouldn't have any extra fees. But that ship has sailed a long time ago. Just a matter of time before DISH goes into bankruptcy and or goes under. Cell phone service was never where they should of gotten into ,but that is all they will have left once the video entertainment portion goes under. :rolleyes:

If you're a savvy SG you can avoid a lot of fees with Dish. I have a Wally with OTA adapter that feeds the entire house and using an EHD I have DVR and pay zero equipment fees. If I had fees, Dish would be long gone but as it is, it's competitive with YTTV.

I said along time ago that if you bought your own receivers you shouldn't have any extra fees. But that ship has sailed a long time ago.
Agree 100%. I have been with Dish for almost 15 years, and I only have two VIP 211k's and have my own external hard drives for the DVR functionality. Just having that second receiver is over $1500 in "receiver fees" over the life of my account. I can't remember exactly when the receiver fee dropped $2 for owning, but the reality is that I have spent way too much on the second receiver in terms of fees :rolleyes:

I said a long time ago that they should've been held to the same standard as cable: you could buy your own receiver and get a card from the programing provider.
When could you do that with cable?

I said a long time ago that receiver fees are the only fair way to handle it. If they didn't charge receiver fees, then they would increase the programming subscription cost to make up for that revenue. Why should I have to subsidize people who have three, four, or five receivers when I only have one?

To me, it's like if auto manufacturer's included free gasoline with their vehicle purchase. It would certainly drive up the cost of a new vehicle. Why should someone who drives 5,000 miles per year subsidize someone who drives 25,000 miles per year?

Yall are looking at it wrong though. It's not necessarily a receiver fee, it's an access fee. Think of it as going to a sporting event, you already paid for your ticket to go inside and watch the event, but for every vehicle you bring there's a parking fee. And then concessions is like your on densbd content that's added to the bill if you want that extra content.
So think of each additional receiver as your parking fee.
You now have the ability to have more people watching at the same time and that's what you are paying for, not the receiver itself. Same reason businesses pay almost double because hundreds of people have access to the programming throughout the day as they enter that business that has tv(s) displaying paid content.

Yall are looking at it wrong though. It's not necessarily a receiver fee, it's an access fee. Think of it as going to a sporting event, you already paid for your ticket to go inside and watch the event, but for every vehicle you bring there's a parking fee. And then concessions is like your on densbd content that's added to the bill if you want that extra content.
You now have the ability to have more people watching at the same time and that's what you are paying for, not the receiver itself. Same reason businesses pay almost double because hundreds of people have access to the programming throughout the day as they enter that business that has tv(s) displaying paid content.
A fee is a fee no matter what you paint it as. A rose is a rose by any other color... ;)

What if only use one receiver at a time?

It's still different locations/parking spots.

Not saying it's not, just saying why it's a justifiable fee. Because everyone seems to think it's not especially if you own the receiver.
I know..its a money grab like cable does with converter boxes and such..people who buy their own equipment do get screwed though

If you're a savvy SG you can avoid a lot of fees with Dish. I have a Wally with OTA adapter that feeds the entire house and using an EHD I have DVR and pay zero equipment fees. If I had fees, Dish would be long gone but as it is, it's competitive with YTTV.
Most installs are the Hopper and the Joey setup. The Wallys have been more for recreational vehicles and out door accounts and tail gaters. I have had both Hopper and the Wally and the Wallys have been a lot of trouble, at least for my parents on my second account I used to have. The Hopper setup is the best,but you pay out the butt to have it. That is something they could of done to fix it if they cared to stop the bleeding. My suggestion was if you own your receivers no fricking fees. No additional receiver fees or DVR fees. If you are leasing them then you pay. But that would of helped about 7 or 8 years ago. Now its everyone to the exits and on to streaming ,so it's too late to fix it now. Just a matter of time till it's all over. :rolleyes:

Most installs are the Hopper and the Joey setup. The Wallys have been more for recreational vehicles and out door accounts and tail gaters. I have had both Hopper and the Wally and the Wallys have been a lot of trouble, at least for my parents on my second account I used to have. The Hopper setup is the best,but you pay out the butt to have it. That is something they could of done to fix it if they cared to stop the bleeding. My suggestion was if you own your receivers no fricking fees. No additional receiver fees or DVR fees. If you are leasing them then you pay. But that would of helped about 7 or 8 years ago. Now its everyone to the exits and on to streaming ,so it's too late to fix it now. Just a matter of time till it's all over. :rolleyes:

I have a single Wally that feeds out to all the TVs using HDMI over coax adapters...I call it a poor man's Hopper since it functions the same and doesn't cost me anything in fees.

When could you do that with cable?
You were supposed to be able to do it, by federal law. But I don't think there were a lot of options for receivers ever made, and I don't know if any cable company was ever penalized for not complying. But at least they tried. I don't know if the law is still in effect (I have a feeling that even if it is, they're skirting it by switching to IP delivery -- the last time my dad's Comcast signal went down, the receiver told him to check his Internet cable rather than his coaxial cable, and he doesn't even have an Internet subscription!)