Cable And Satellite Providers Required To Disclose “All In” Pricing Under Newly Passed FCC Rules

Yall are looking at it wrong though. It's not necessarily a receiver fee, it's an access fee. Think of it as going to a sporting event, you already paid for your ticket to go inside and watch the event, but for every vehicle you bring there's a parking fee.
If people think that the parking fee makes moral or logical sense, then that's the problem right there! (If you're worried about non-patrons using the parking spots, make them show a ticket to get into the lot. It's not rocket science. But then again, apparently rocket science isn't even rocket science these days, as a certain gentleman demonstrates...)

Even the notorious glutton that is Microsoft lets you download their OS for free. If you have a license it'll run, if you don't it won't (sort of.) They don't seem to be hurting for money.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yall are looking at it wrong though. It's not necessarily a receiver fee, it's an access fee. Think of it as going to a sporting event, you already paid for your ticket to go inside and watch the event, but for every vehicle you bring there's a parking fee. And then concessions is like your on densbd content that's added to the bill if you want that extra content.
So think of each additional receiver as your parking fee.
You now have the ability to have more people watching at the same time and that's what you are paying for, not the receiver itself. Same reason businesses pay almost double because hundreds of people have access to the programming throughout the day as they enter that business that has tv(s) displaying paid content.

I AGREE. DISH explained it years ago on one of the Charlie Chats. So unless it has changed, Programmers charge for each access point. Cable still charges per outlet, at least here.

And guess what, streaming is moving closer to that structure. Many have or will severely limit how many at one time can stream on one account when not mobile, AND if not at the same address. And now limiting how many mobiles can be at the same time, most will go to two.
Bets they become even more stringent at time goes on?

Hulu now -
"Two people can stream simultaneously from different devices at one time if they have a basic Hulu account." That is now a total of 2 streamers however it is being streamed.

If you pay for the more expensive Live TV package AND pay more to stream more devices - you can stream from the same residence many devices, but still only two mobile.
"However, Live TV subscribers can opt for the “unlimited screens add-on” to stream on any device connected to the customer's home network"

I AGREE. DISH explained it years ago on one of the Charlie Chats. So unless it has changed, Programmers charge for each access point. Cable still charges per outlet, at least here.

And guess what, streaming is moving closer to that structure. Many have or will severely limit how many at one time can stream on one account when not mobile, AND if not at the same address. And now limiting how many mobiles can be at the same time, most will go to two.
Bets they become even more stringent at time goes on?

Hulu now -
"Two people can stream simultaneously from different devices at one time if they have a basic Hulu account." That is now a total of 2 streamers however it is being streamed.

If you pay for the more expensive Live TV package AND pay more to stream more devices - you can stream from the same residence many devices, but still only two mobile.
"However, Live TV subscribers can opt for the “unlimited screens add-on” to stream on any device connected to the customer's home network"
You can run your own outlets with cable...but they do charge for boxes with cable..which is really the same thing once they got rid of analog cable..used to be you could run a internet only cable connection to a TV and get channels but alas no more

You can run your own outlets with cable...but they do charge for boxes with cable..which is really the same thing once they got rid of analog cable..used to be you could run a internet only cable connection to a TV and get channels but alas no more
A few years ago I was having issues with my cable TV and needed a tech to come in to diagnose. This was still when you could receive most channels without a set top box or cable card. He saw the number of connections I added to the system (I think 4 max) and said that I needed to disconnect them or he would have to report the number of actual connections and that I would be billed for all those above the 2 that were allowed with the basic subscription. This didnt last long as they eventually went all digital and required set top boxes for each additional drop if you wanted to receive channels other than the locals which they had to carry.

A few years ago I was having issues with my cable TV and needed a tech to come in to diagnose. This was still when you could receive most channels without a set top box or cable card. He saw the number of connections I added to the system (I think 4 max) and said that I needed to disconnect them or he would have to report the number of actual connections and that I would be billed for all those above the 2 that were allowed with the basic subscription. This didnt last long as they eventually went all digital and required set top boxes for each additional drop if you wanted to receive channels other than the locals which they had to carry.
Somewhere along the way..cable stopped fixing inside wiring..and charges if they step foot inside of the house...but they do leakage scans now too.

Somewhere along the way..cable stopped fixing inside wiring..and charges if they step foot inside of the house...but they do leakage scans now too.
Back in Michigan, had underground wiring, when they updated the system in the subdivision, they ran cable from the outside boxes to the houses, said they would be back in a few days the bury the wire, they never came back to any house, I ( and I assume others) called after a week, told me it was our responsibility, since it was in our yard.

• Wow
Back in Michigan, had underground wiring, when they updated the system in the subdivision, they ran cable from the outside boxes to the houses, said they would be back in a few days the bury the wire, they never came back to any house, I ( and I assume others) called after a week, told me it was our responsibility, since it was in our yard.
That was the Wrong answer ....
Typically, most companies that deal with wiring that will lay on the ground till buried, have Subcontractors responsible for burying the line ...
Pitty the person that needs a line replaced during the winter as the Sub can only bury for like 7-8 months. (up north anyways)

That was the Wrong answer ....
Typically, most companies that deal with wiring that will lay on the ground till buried, have Subcontractors responsible for burying the line ...
Pitty the person that needs a line replaced during the winter as the Sub can only bury for like 7-8 months. (up north anyways)
Comcast was awful to deal with whenever a problem popped up, I have no idea why the dig team did not show, but I just made my son bury the line.

Charter here has been great, on the day of set up, when I was getting the house ready, they found out I needed a new line, I thought, just great, they will come back the next week then, nope, had two trucks over to my house in just a hour, did the line, work on the pole and on the node, pretty good since I live in a rural area.

Comcast was awful to deal with whenever a problem popped up, I have no idea why the dig team did not show, but I just made my son bury the line.

Charter here has been great, on the day of set up, when I was getting the house ready, they found out I needed a new line, I thought, just great, they will come back the next week then, nope, had two trucks over to my house in just a hour, did the line, work on the pole and on the node, pretty good since I live in a rural area.
You picked the Right time of the season, apparently . :)
Or it was a Light day ...

If people think that the parking fee makes moral or logical sense, then that's the problem right there! (If you're worried about non-patrons using the parking spots, make them show a ticket to get into the lot. It's not rocket science. But then again, apparently rocket science isn't even rocket science these days, as a certain gentleman demonstrates...)
no it's an ripoff when it's an forced fee some hotels change an added parking fee even if you don't have an car to park.

no it's an ripoff when it's an forced fee some hotels change an added parking fee even if you don't have an car to park.
The last Hotel I stayed at ( Hard Rock at Universal Orlando in 2020) asked me first if I was parking there, I said yes, then they added it to my bill.

Personally, I would of preferred I could park for free if staying there, but at least they asked.

Last edited:
I will.

It was a late morning/early afternoon appointment, so it was definitely done in the lite.
No, I meant Light day work wise for them...

It's rare that you would get 2 people working together.

I tried for years to have our company work with 2 employees, you can get a lot more done that way, they would have None of that, they'd say your only getting half the work done then. :(

Hotel/motel that forces people to pay for parking when they have no car to park after bringing it to the staff's attention will most always delete the charge. If nowhere on what you sign when you check in does it say parking is a mandatory credit cards are accepting challenges to the charge and giving a refund charged back to the hotel.
There are some known Hotels in NYC that will refuse to take the charge off, however they list the charge on check in you sign. And yes it can be a sneaky charge because people don't expect it and may not read all the the paperwork.

Last edited: