Cable extension for Coolsat 5000 Platinum?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

1sep1969

Original poster
Nov 21, 2018
Montreal
I'm not too familiar with satellite boxes or whatever, but I have a Coolsat 5000 Platinum. I'd like to install it in another room, so I need to buy a cable extension and hook it with the existing cable. In other words, I need an extension for the cable that connects from the satellite to the Coolsat 5000 Platinum box.

I've looked on Amazon and other sites. There are many different cables with different names. I'm not sure exactly which one I'm supposed to buy. Can someone show me an example? And what the exact name of this extension?

Thank you!

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!

Are you wanting the new receiver to work independent of the other? If so you will need to run a separate coax to the dish/switch and use dual output LNB(F)'s.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!

Are you wanting the new receiver to work independent of the other? If so you will need to run a separate coax to the dish/switch and use dual output LNB(F)'s.

No, I won't be getting a new receiver. I just want to put the Coolsat 5000 Platinum that I already own in another room. So I need some sort of extension that connects from the existing cable (which is hooked to the satellite) to the Coolsat 5000 Platinum (which will be located in another room).

You would need a barrel connector to join two pieces of coax cable together and a piece of RG-6 coax cable (with connectors on the ends). Be sure to unplug the Coolsat power cable before removing any coax connections or you could damage your Coolsat receiver.

Reactions: raydio and KE4EST
Your link shows RG-6 cable with molded on connectors. I prefer a compression connector on good quality rg-6 cable. The picture reminds me of the cheap dollar store coax cables with poor connectors. It might be good cable and connectors, but you can not really tell from the picture. The barrel connector that Titanium links to looks to be excellent. I have used cheap barrel connectors before and they can either work great or cause intermittent problems and all kinds of grief trying to troubleshoot various signal issues.

@1sep1969 Commscope, Belden and Channel Master are good RG6 brand names. There are others too; if it's direct TV or dish network approved it's likely ok.
Also stay away from those twist-on connectors. Get a pre-made cable unless you want to purchase a crimper/compression tool and a bag of connectors...
Maybe Home Depot or Lowes sells good ready to use cable?

Reactions: Larry1
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts