Cable guy working on pole in my yard today

Teehar

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
WNC
Not a clue what he was doing as we only subscribe to HSI,after he left I glanced at the pole and noticed the little trap is gone.First thing I did was to test my internet speed,no change,second thing was to do a channel scan.All analog channels are clear now.I'm not complaining,but why would they remove the trap?I have made no changes in service,hadn't had any issues with the internet either.

I share a pole with my next door neighbor. When I canceled cable TV to go to Dish, Charter came out and disconnected my NEIGHBOR instead. I was sitting on my porch watching them, and laughing my ass off, knowing it was yet another Charter screw-up. It took them 3 MONTHS before they came back out, hooked the neighbor back up, and killed my full tv channels. I felt a little sorry for my neighbor during all the time he was down, but it wasn't my place to point out the tech wasn't paying enough attention. I then later went to internet-only, and still have 30~ free QAM channels along with $34.99 a month 30 down / 7 up speeds

Where do you live? Charter is in the process of going all digital, and when that is complete traps will not be necessary. I wouldn't have necessarily expected them to go through and remove all traps, but depending on their plans for the analog space when they go all digital, they may plan to move internet services into those ranges. They may also be going through the system and checking levels, and while they're there going ahead and removing the traps.

Where do you live? Charter is in the process of going all digital, and when that is complete traps will not be necessary. I wouldn't have necessarily expected them to go through and remove all traps, but depending on their plans for the analog space when they go all digital, they may plan to move internet services into those ranges. They may also be going through the system and checking levels, and while they're there going ahead and removing the traps.

Charter's main office for us is in Boone NC.They were also at a residence few houses down from me,they don't have any type of Charter service.Somehow I think this cable guy didn't know what he was doing.As it is right now I have 67 analog channels and 10-12 digital channels clear qam.Not too bad for $39.99 a month.:D

Charter's main office for us is in Boone NC.They were also at a residence few houses down from me,they don't have any type of Charter service.Somehow I think this cable guy didn't know what he was doing.As it is right now I have 67 analog channels and 10-12 digital channels clear qam.Not too bad for $39.99 a month.:D

If I recall correctly, North Carolina is one of the next areas to go all digital, so that makes sense. They would want to remove all traps and physically connect all houses back up to the network in the process. When they go 100% digital, you will lose all of the channels. At that point anyone who is a subscriber will need a set top box from Charter, and then they can turn you on/off just like the satellite companies, without a truck roll.

If I recall correctly, North Carolina is one of the next areas to go all digital, so that makes sense. They would want to remove all traps and physically connect all houses back up to the network in the process. When they go 100% digital, you will lose all of the channels. At that point anyone who is a subscriber will need a set top box from Charter, and then they can turn you on/off just like the satellite companies, without a truck roll.

I agree with this. They de-trap the system before flipping the switch.

The Tri-Cities Charter system I know for sure the bulk of it is already all digital & only within the last year or so. They've been switching nodes 1 at a time, work out the kinks & move on to the next.

They might be doing a pre-paid service like Comcast. A few years ago Comcast went all Digital and stopped disconnecting taps, and now for many people to go to pre-paid is as easy as just having the customer pick up a converter box.

I share a pole with my next door neighbor. When I canceled cable TV to go to Dish, Charter came out and disconnected my NEIGHBOR instead. I was sitting on my porch watching them, and laughing my ass off, knowing it was yet another Charter screw-up. It took them 3 MONTHS before they came back out, hooked the neighbor back up, and killed my full tv channels. I felt a little sorry for my neighbor during all the time he was down, but it wasn't my place to point out the tech wasn't paying enough attention. I then later went to internet-only, and still have 30~ free QAM channels along with $34.99 a month 30 down / 7 up speeds

I find it very hard to believe it took them 3 months to reconnect a customer, unless that customer was away from his house for that long and just noticed it. Even the worst possible cable outfits in the country do not seem like that would take that long to respond to a service call.

Are there issues that take that long to fix? sure, but not a simple reconnect. Must be more to the story we are unaware of.

Well...joesphb and stardust3 may indeed be correct.Still got all the channels in the clear for now but,last night my internet went out,when I woke up this morning I had full advertised speeds.The orange or amber light on ds of the modem is now green.Prior to last night I was only getting 20-25 down and 2 up.This morning I hit a brief boost of 51 down and 4 up.Lets see what it is now.

3098850165.png

I can dig that! I'm guessing they will have the 100 down package available now.

I find it very hard to believe it took them 3 months to reconnect a customer, unless that customer was away from his house for that long and just noticed it. Even the worst possible cable outfits in the country do not seem like that would take that long to respond to a service call.

Are there issues that take that long to fix? sure, but not a simple reconnect. Must be more to the story we are unaware of.

Believe what you choose. It took 3 months for them to reconnect my neighbor, though I have no idea when the neighbor actually called them to ask why it was down. This was supposed to only be a disconnect for ME, but they got him instead.

Believe what you choose. It took 3 months for them to reconnect my neighbor, though I have no idea when the neighbor actually called them to ask why it was down. This was supposed to only be a disconnect for ME, but they got him instead.

I don't doubt your word.I have witnessed incompetence too many times in the past.

That of course is the big factor is when he called to report the issue. I believe what you say that it took 3 months to reconnect, but I do not believe that it took them 3 months from the time it was reported. They do not know it is disconnected or that there is a problem unless the customer reports the issue. So if it took 3 months for him to call and report the issue it is not there fault it took 3 months to fix.

That of course is the big factor is when he called to report the issue. I believe what you say that it took 3 months to reconnect, but I do not believe that it took them 3 months from the time it was reported. They do not know it is disconnected or that there is a problem unless the customer reports the issue. So if it took 3 months for him to call and report the issue it is not there fault it took 3 months to fix.

The whole POINT of my posting is that it was due to Charters INCOMPETENCE of getting the wrong customer shutoff in the first place! YES, that was CHARTERS fault! I give them NO points for hooking them back up, because I'll bet money they kept charging them their monthly fee even though they weren't getting any service for that.

There's NO defense for how bad Charter has been, because they were the worse cable company in existence. They are trying harder to be better now that they went bankrupt and left all their creditors holding the bag. That still doesn't excuse the fact that they were a sorry, poorly run company, and there's no excuse for that.

The whole POINT of my posting is that it was due to Charters INCOMPETENCE of getting the wrong customer shutoff in the first place! YES, that was CHARTERS fault! I give them NO points for hooking them back up, because I'll bet money they kept charging them their monthly fee even though they weren't getting any service for that.

There's NO defense for how bad Charter has been, because they were the worse cable company in existence. They are trying harder to be better now that they went bankrupt and left all their creditors holding the bag. That still doesn't excuse the fact that they were a sorry, poorly run company, and there's no excuse for that.

It was there fault the customer was disconnected in error. But to say that some how it is there fault it lasted for 3 months? If the customer called in to report the issue it would of been resolved within a day or two. He would have been given credit for the days he was out. However they would not give him 3 months worth of credit if he did not notify them of the issue.

Charter is 100% digital in my area and they still install traps for HSI only service.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If you are a Charter subscriber you might want to reboot your cable modem as I hear they had speed increases in many areas overnight. :)