AZBOX Cable Tuner for Premium+

Phoxx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
The Land Of Corn!
I am trying to set up the cable tuner for the Premium+ receiver. I've installed the tuner and the AZBox recognizes it. Now, I need to scan the cable channels. What are the correct settings for the tuner if you do not use "auto?"

I receive no channels when the search mode is set to auto.:confused:

Well, don't know much more. The tuner is a DVB-C tuner made for the Premium+. I have installed it in the second position, a DVB-S in in first position. When you go to the "Antenna" position in the settings menu, it recognizes the tuner. Then, I select DVB-C tuner and it goes to the search menu for the tuner. There are several choices, and settings, to be made; source of signal(Standard, Brazil Germany, etc.). Then choose auto or manual. and several more. Sorry, I'm not at home and can't remember all of the rest of the menu, except, for the QAM setting; 4,8,16, etc. I'm not sure what to choose, the default soes not seem to be correct, or, maybe I'm doing something else wrong, don't know.:(

Where did you get this tuner from?

I have not heard of it but from the brief description it sounds like something that they use in Europe & South America.
I guess it could be made to work here but the more info you provide the better it would be for someone to try and help.

What are you trying to configure it to work with: ie... cable, OTA???

This is a cable tuner - QAM. I am trying to receive the basic cable channels, Mediacom. I subscribe to the digital package, but the first 78 channels are in the basic tier, do not require a STB. I don't know what else to tell you, but, when I get home I'll post the menu selections-- perhaps that will help. Thanks to all for your help so far.

Phoxx said:
This is a cable tuner - QAM. I am trying to receive the basic cable channels, Mediacom. I subscribe to the digital package, but the first 78 channels are in the basic tier, do not require a STB. I don't know what else to tell you, but, when I get home I'll post the menu selections-- perhaps that will help. Thanks to all for your help so far.

DVB-C QAM is not compatible with USA ATSC based QAM and the demodulator would need to be compatible with our unique modulation schemes. USA digital cable is normally QAM 256 and can often also QAM 64 on the same distribution system. Many cable systems offer channels in the clear only as analog channels for analog cable-ready TVs and the digital QAM channels may all be encrypted.

I don't know this as fact, but my educated guess is that your receiver is most likely based on the DVB-C standard and will not receive you cable system's digital channels. Before investing in a QAM device, be sure that your cable system offers the QAM digital channels in the clear. Many originally offered basic tier channels in the clear, but most are now turning on the encryption on all but the local broadcast and local origination / public access channels.

I tried the scan at 64 and 256 and didn't get any channels on the scan. Guess I'm out of luck unless someone else has any other suggestions. I'm open to ANYTHING.:what

sorry to hear this isn't working for you. it's regrettable the worldwide cable systems aren't standardized. i read your earlier post http://www.satelliteguys.us/azbox-discussion/230561-anybody-using-qam-tuner-their-premium.html and it seemed to me vc2 hooked up his ATSC tuner to his cable provider and he was able to scan in some channels.

just gonna throw out some randomn ideas here. so maybe if you compare the QAM demod chip in the ATSC tuner to the QAM demod chip in the DVB-C tuner that will tell us something. i'd do it for ya but i'm swamped with working on my north american az channel list and the quirks with the maz/acc/azbox combo. even if the demod chips are the same maybe the firmware on the tuner card is different. another idea is to search the AZBOX forum site. maybe another person has asked these questions before. or as a last resort get an ATSC tuner and hook it up like vc2 did ??

QAM used by American cable systems is unrelated to ATSC. They are two separate unrelated standards. The early versions of digital cable equipment from Scientific Atlanta were based on the DVB-C specification. I don't know what Jerrold/MaCom/Motorola was using. There weren't any common digital cable standards at the time. Today, most digital cable equipment (as well as digital cable ready TVs) conform to the DOCSIS (2 or 3) specifications.

I would expect the DVB-C tuner to work with unencrypted QAM digital cable channels. First determine which channels are unencrypted by performing a digital scan with a digital cable ready high definition TV. The unencrypted (Clear QAM) channels should appear in the scan. The scanned channel numbers will most likely be different from the cable box channel numbers.

If the cable ready TV decodes any Clear QAM channels, note the channel numbers and try scanning with the DVB-C tuner. Select 256 QAM if that is a choice for scanning. The standard for North American QAM is probably a subset of the DVB-C choices.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, however, I've already sold the tuner to someone in Europe. Now I wish I still had it to give your suggestion a try. Thanks for the info vc2. Appreciate your help.

Phoxx,

I was under the impression that the cable tuners for the AZBox were not compatible with the system used in the US market at all. They were primarily versed towards the Brazilian cable market from what I had read. With regard to the post I quoted below (from Brian @ SatelliteAV) this is explained. Although the channels in the basic tier may be free or already paid for by a subscription, they are still in a modulation format that this cable tuner is incapable of processing.

DVB-C QAM is not compatible with USA ATSC based QAM and the demodulator would need to be compatible with our unique modulation schemes. USA digital cable is normally QAM 256 and can often also QAM 64 on the same distribution system. Many cable systems offer channels in the clear only as analog channels for analog cable-ready TVs and the digital QAM channels may all be encrypted.

I don't know this as fact, but my educated guess is that your receiver is most likely based on the DVB-C standard and will not receive you cable system's digital channels. Before investing in a QAM device, be sure that your cable system offers the QAM digital channels in the clear. Many originally offered basic tier channels in the clear, but most are now turning on the encryption on all but the local broadcast and local origination / public access channels.

RADAR

DVB-C is the cable standard primarily used in Europe and certain other countries and is NOT compatible with the cable standard used in north america. Our QAM cable standard is technically almost the same as ATSC used for OTA signals which is why you often find ATSC tuners that are also capable of tuning in QAM digital cable.

The ATSC tuner for the AzBox Elite and Premium (not plus) has options for tuning QAM modulation. Unfortunately, there are no ATSC tuners available for the Premium Plus at this time.

Regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

The ATSC tuner for the AzBox Elite and Premium (not plus) has options for tuning QAM modulation. Unfortunately, there are no ATSC tuners available for the Premium Plus at this time.

Unfortunately the firmware for the Premium & Elite ATSC/QAM tuner is very buggy and unstable. AZBox has made no apparent effort to fix the problems and make the firmware usable.