cables needed from dish and throughout house

freshley

Original poster
May 27, 2009
lebanon, pa
I'm re-wiring my house for cat5 and rg6 and was wondering how many rg-6 wires are needed from the dish to the wiring panel and then how many are needed to each receiver. I know at one time you needed 2 lines from the dish to the receiver but I don't think this is the case anymore. I'm pretty sure there are 2 coming off the dish now but I can't remember if they combine before going into the receiver. Currently I'm thinking of 2 lines to each outlet on the main level (one for sat and one for internet) and only one line to the upstairs bedrooms. If I need 2 for the main receivers I will need to run 3 (2 sat. and one internet).

Thank you

I'm re-wiring my house for cat5 and rg6 and was wondering how many rg-6 wires are needed from the dish to the wiring panel and then how many are needed to each receiver. I know at one time you needed 2 lines from the dish to the receiver but I don't think this is the case anymore. I'm pretty sure there are 2 coming off the dish now but I can't remember if they combine before going into the receiver. Currently I'm thinking of 2 lines to each outlet on the main level (one for sat and one for internet) and only one line to the upstairs bedrooms. If I need 2 for the main receivers I will need to run 3 (2 sat. and one internet).

Thank you

I would run 4 coax cables outside, 3 for the Dish and one extra for other possibilities like antenna. Make sure all cables start at one location like a utility room. I would run 2 coax cables to every location you would want TV at. As for Cat5, I'm not sure if you would need more than one to each location, but at least one for sure.

I would run 4 coax cables outside, 3 for the Dish and one extra for other possibilities like antenna. Make sure all cables start at one location like a utility room. I would run 2 coax cables to every location you would want TV at. As for Cat5, I'm not sure if you would need more than one to each location, but at least one for sure.

I second this, you can never have enough cables run to future proof yourself and avoid drilling holes later incase a cable fails and YES they will just fail right in the middle of a run for whatever reason. Gotta make sure they are all run from a central location to each room and at least 4 RG6 3Ghz cables from where the dish will be mounted with several feet extra at the dish just in case along with a few feet extra in the central location with a ground point ran to this location as well.

Cable really isn't very expensive so don't worry about overkill now. You'll thank yourself later. It really sucks when someone wants to update their home after 5 years and then realize they can't because they didn't wire their house properly.

This reminds me of a job I did a few weeks ago.....

Brand new renovation. Each room had 2 coax, one on each side of the room. All to a central panel....

The Guy had an electrician run it all, but only one feed from.the outside into his service panel.....

I set up.1 Hopper and 3 Joey's, I told em, I hope you never decide to add more TVs, cuz you'll need more cable pulled from outside in. It'll cost ya.

This reminds me of a job I did a few weeks ago.....

Brand new renovation. Each room had 2 coax, one on each side of the room. All to a central panel....

The Guy had an electrician run it all, but only one feed from.the outside into his service panel.....

I set up.1 Hopper and 3 Joey's, I told em, I hope you never decide to add more TVs, cuz you'll need more cable pulled from outside in. It'll cost ya.

I had a customer build a new house and when my installer got there he found that no cables were run yet. He assumed that we would wire his entire house because installation was free. You should have heard the argument we got into. He didn't understand how it made no sense to finish the house and then expect us to wire all his rooms.

I had a customer build a new house and when my installer got there he found that no cables were run yet. He assumed that we would wire his entire house because installation was free. You should have heard the argument we got into. He didn't understand how it made no sense to finish the house and then expect us to wire all his rooms.

Lolz I would have just walked out and went on down the road. That is just stupid to finish the house and not prewire it, would be the same as not wiring it up for electric and then asking the electrician to wire it after the walls are put up. I have been to many homes that were like this as in old but remodeled...I just tell them to prepare for a bunch of holes drilled either straight down if they are lucky to have a unfinished basement or all outside and the house is getting wrapped by several cables.

See problem is even when it says Free installation it only means up to a certain distance of cable run and time. I've seen people call and pay Dish to come do custom work which pays the tech hardly nothing compared to someone like an electrician that does this hourly. When I've come across those I've measured out each foot of cable and if I cross a limit I start charging end of story and tell them up front this is how its going to be too.

Lolz I would have just walked out and went on down the road. That is just stupid to finish the house and not prewire it, would be the same as not wiring it up for electric and then asking the electrician to wire it after the walls are put up. I have been to many homes that were like this as in old but remodeled...I just tell them to prepare for a bunch of holes drilled either straight down if they are lucky to have a unfinished basement or all outside and the house is getting wrapped by several cables.

See problem is even when it says Free installation it only means up to a certain distance of cable run and time. I've seen people call and pay Dish to come do custom work which pays the tech hardly nothing compared to someone like an electrician that does this hourly. When I've come across those I've measured out each foot of cable and if I cross a limit I start charging end of story and tell them up front this is how its going to be too.

That's how it should be. You need to pay for services done after a certain extent.

happens more often than you would think...

JOEY version changed to S357/S450

Not real happy with new install (Internet related)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)