Cablevision Enters into Interim Agreement Regarding VOOM

riffjim4069 said:
Speaking of news...this story was actually covered by HDNews this morning!
I love me some Voom, But HDNews is a joke of "news" station. How can you be taken seriously when you cover the "Reprieve For Voom", when you didn't cover the original story from which they needed the reprieve? Never even a whisper of bad news about Voom from this channel. Why bother with the story at all?

TheTimm said:
I love me some Voom, But HDNews is a joke of "news" station. How can you be taken seriously when you cover the "Reprieve For Voom", when you didn't cover the original story from which they needed the reprieve? Never even a whisper of bad news about Voom from this channel. Why bother with the story at all?
Agree, but the channel does have potential if they decide to fund it. Create three 30 minutes shows and run them around the clock would be a good start. My other beef is almost all the "around town" news segments focus on New York City. Hmmm. Wasn't it reported VOOM had cameras in LA, Chicago, Miami, and one or two other cities? If so, they are delivering little or no content. I usually catch HDNews once or twice a day just out of curiosity, but one of our local DC news channels (CBS) is going HD this spring so I doubt I'll be watching much longer unless they vastly expand the lineup. The production and news anchors are fine...just deliver what's posted on the HDNews website: "The only national 24/7 high definition source for news. HDNews offers late-breaking stories, current headlines, compelling features, national and regional weather, plus sports news and highlights all in brilliant high definition. With 5 regional news bureaus along with the nation's best photojournalists, HDNews has an action-packed, fast-paced format, delivering news with the unparalleled visual impact of HD." Sorry, off-topic...

Comeon guys, Hdnews is a joke so far. If there were a real crisis would you tune in to HDnews??? You know you wouldnt.

justalurker said:
E* is having problems with even TPs on E3 so an equal swap would give Voom a transponder E* couldn't transmit for them.
JL

When I have talked swap, I wasn't thinking about swapping the TPs with Voom. I was thinking that Dish would give the TPs back to the FCC to auction off in the future.

Whatever the agreement means who knows? One thing the agreement DOES say, however, is what I've been saying all along. They do NOT have funding to continue (other than Dolan's own money). It ain't all that easy to convince people to invest in a failing satellite business...

People keep throwing around 46,000 subs. First of all, 46,000 subs mean NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. They need a LOT more subs to make it work. I've asked it before, I'll keep asking it. How do they intend on gaining more subs? They're hardly adding subs over the last year. Sure, if the numbers are right they almost doubled their numbers but it's easy to double 20,000 (or so). Not as easy to keep doubling numbers as they get larger.

Also, how many of those 46,000 subs are still active? We know a lot of them haven't been installed yet. How many people have canceled? Don't know those numbers but there is some fallout (as we've learned in the past).

Basically, I don't know what's going to happen. I think everyone around here reads WAY too much into the little tidbits that have been coming out. I also think people around here spend WAY too much time around here yelling at people like me and not enough time enjoying their coveted Voom service. It seems like everyone is spending more time searching the Internet for info than they do watching Voom.

If Voom fails, it fails. If not, there's nothing ANYONE here can do (unless you've got a few hundred million bucks around) to change it. Being fanatical about a product/service doesn't make that service succeed (or fail). It's going to succeed or fail whether you're all fanatical about it or not...

The Rickster

GadgetRick said:
Basically, I don't know what's going to happen. I think everyone around here reads WAY too much into the little tidbits that have been coming out. I also think people around here spend WAY too much time around here yelling at people like me and not enough time enjoying their coveted Voom service. It seems like everyone is spending more time searching the Internet for info than they do watching Voom.

If Voom fails, it fails. If not, there's nothing ANYONE here can do (unless you've got a few hundred million bucks around) to change it. Being fanatical about a product/service doesn't make that service succeed (or fail). It's going to succeed or fail whether you're all fanatical about it or not...

The Rickster
Are you a Voom Sub?. can't find your Name ......on the Sub list, you know equipment and such?

GadgetRick said:
I also think people around here spend WAY too much time around here yelling at people like me and not enough time enjoying their coveted Voom service. It seems like everyone is spending more time searching the Internet for info than they do watching Voom.
The Rickster

What a contradiction Rick?

If Voom does shut down (hopefully NOT), then what can Echostar do? Roll out a raft of new HD channels for Dish subs? I heard Dish already has a $$ figure on a Dish receiver for the Rainbow SAT.

GADGETRICK,

I've said this before and I know this to be true because I work with VOOM dealers every day, getting subs is not the problem. VOOM had too many subs and couldn't handle the load and once installed customer retention due to poor installs was horrible. 46,000 is more than nothing considering where the numbers were. Also consider that VOOM hasn't even begun to tap into sources where we can turn a ton more subs than we are. Combine that with a much better churn rate and it's not hard to see how someone might find this to be a reasonable investment.

kanderson said:
If Voom does shut down (hopefully NOT), then what can Echostar do? Roll out a raft of new HD channels for Dish subs? I heard Dish already has a $$ figure on a Dish receiver for the Rainbow SAT.

that does not make sense they just went thru a period DUMPING the 2 dish solution+their 61.5 bird for the majority of customers to a super dish pointing at the 3 main locations--very hard to get right..can't see them going back to the super disah + a 61.5 one for ALL customers

rocatman said:
When I have talked swap, I wasn't thinking about swapping the TPs with Voom. I was thinking that Dish would give the TPs back to the FCC to auction off in the future.
OK. I missed that step (other than to note that the purchase of the satellite deal is off if E* doesn't get the licenses).

JL

rang1995 said:
that does not make sense they just went thru a period DUMPING the 2 dish solution+their 61.5 bird for the majority of customers to a super dish pointing at the 3 main locations--very hard to get right..can't see them going back to the super disah + a 61.5 one for ALL customers
E* is looking at HD locals via satellite, which is exactly what Rainbow1 was designed to do - 22 regional spots filled with 120 spot TPs on those 22 beams if they put it fully into spot mode.

V* could use a couple of TPs as spots for regional sports networks if they wanted to, but they would lose the bandwidth for ConUS signals.

JL

justalurker said:
OK. I missed that step (other than to note that the purchase of the satellite deal is off if E* doesn't get the licenses).

JL

I would think that the satellite deal would be off if E* doesn't get the licenses that can be used by the R-1 satellite. E* may still make the deal anyway even if they had to swap TPs considering that the E-3 satellite probably only has a few more years of life.

This blood bath hasn't been resolved and won't be resolved anytime soon. The only thing that is apparent is that Voom is dead. If not now then later. Even if Chuck foots the bill, at the moment theres only a small possibility that the FCC will deny the sale of the lisences for the transponders. So theoretically they buy the satellite and use it until the transition of R2, Chuck foots the bill for the projects. How long can Chuck foot 300 million losses every quarter I believe the figure was? If continued on it will put him in the poor house. E* will go through and only purchase the transponders, it won't cover the subs that V* has nor the programming that it offers. Worse case scenario for the programming, when it closes cvc will sell off assets and they can bid for it at that time.

There has been nothing to happen that says V* is free and clear, the money problems will not go away. If cvc does not sell the remaining assets it will continue to be a bleed on assets. If Chuck foots it prolongs the uneviable. There is no way that E* would say 'oh well lets help the 46k customers' when it has as its own issues.

drod said:
This blood bath hasn't been resolved and won't be resolved anytime soon. The only thing that is apparent is that Voom is dead. If not now then later.

Great insight... With this type of analysis anyone will win in VEGAS.

drod said:
This blood bath hasn't been resolved and won't be resolved anytime soon. The only thing that is apparent is that Voom is dead. If not now then later. Even if Chuck foots the bill, at the moment theres only a small possibility that the FCC will deny the sale of the lisences for the transponders. So theoretically they buy the satellite and use it until the transition of R2, Chuck foots the bill for the projects. How long can Chuck foot 300 million losses every quarter I believe the figure was? If continued on it will put him in the poor house. E* will go through and only purchase the transponders, it won't cover the subs that V* has nor the programming that it offers. Worse case scenario for the programming, when it closes cvc will sell off assets and they can bid for it at that time.

There has been nothing to happen that says V* is free and clear, the money problems will not go away. If cvc does not sell the remaining assets it will continue to be a bleed on assets. If Chuck foots it prolongs the uneviable. There is no way that E* would say 'oh well lets help the 46k customers' when it has as its own issues.

Give me a break!

DirecTV lost 2.2 BILLION dollars in 5 years before it became profitable! A satellite service, that has to give boxes away to gain subscribers is bound to lose money for years! But, it is well positioned for the future and WILL make money, using the EXACT formula DTV went to after year 1. So far, it has been identical.

Remember DTV year 1? You BOUGHT your receiver for $500+, paid to have it installed and 'owned' it. Only one manufacturer for the boxes. Sound familiar?

DTV - year 2 . Rented receivers, another manufacturer added. Purchase price cut in HALF. Subs quadrupled. Sound familiar?
DTV Year 3 - Rcvr prices went through the floor as they allowed extra manufacturers to do them.
DTV Year 4 - Self installs.

Need I go on?

Just look at recent DTV history. VOOM is following the exact pattern and look where DTV is! Also, VOOM is the premier HD provider. They are on the 'ground' floor,

Geez. Give it up, you VOOM is dead naysayers.

You think C.Dolan is going to pay for a months bills just to kill it 3/31
What would that buy anyone?

rocatman said:
I would think that the satellite deal would be off if E* doesn't get the licenses that can be used by the R-1 satellite. E* may still make the deal anyway even if they had to swap TPs considering that the E-3 satellite probably only has a few more years of life.
It would be a new deal. Sorry that I wasn't clear. The current Satellite Sales Agreement ties the licenses to the satellite and gives the FCC a year (or 15 months if extended) to give approval or the deal is automatically cancelled.

That would not stop a new deal from being introduced later selling the satellite IF the FCC allows the license swap (V*'s 11 to E*, E*'s 11 to V* to be returned to the FCC). Whomever buys the 11 (+2) from the FCC would have to build and lauch their own satellite. Which is the same that is needed to use the recently auctioned space at 157, 166 and 175. I wonder if the FCC would allow the swap and (really) hope I don't have to find out. :)

JL

drod said:
How long can Chuck foot 300 million losses every quarter I believe the figure was?
Voom lost 75 million in 3Q04, about 94 million in 4Q04. That doesn't add up to the 661.4 million loss for 2004 because in addition to those operating losses they had some writeoffs and 2003 debt that Cablevision added on to 4Q04 - the actual loss FOR THE QUARTER was only 94 million.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)