Cabling for the Hopper

KenM37

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
I'm moving to the Hopper and want to run cable to each location myself. Am I correct to assume it is just rg-6 type cable or is it something special?
Thanks
KenM

It needs to be 3Ghz rated RG6 to the Hopper locations. Joeys's can be RG59, or non 3Ghz rated RG6.

Most quality cable is probably 3ghz capable, even if not officially rated, but if a tech comes out he may want to replace anything not labeled as 3Ghz. Bottom line, it's probably not worth trying to save a buck or two using non-rated cable.

Barrel connectors, cable ends, etc should all be 3ghz rated as well. Again, Dish tech may want to replace any components he's not sure about. Not as big a deal though as its just replacing the ends and not pulling a new cable.

BTW RG-58 is 50-ohm cable, you meant RG-59, which is 75 ohm and a little bigger with a solid core and dielectric.
The solid dielectric causes more attenuation than RG-6 with its foam and bigger core wire and thus less DC and AC loss.
-Ken

I'm moving to the Hopper and want to run cable to each location myself. Am I correct to assume it is just rg-6 type cable or is it something special?
Thanks
KenM

The best set up would be to have 3 cables from the dish going to a central location/utility room. From there I would also run 2 cables to each location you would like to have a TV. By having 2 cables at each location you'll have the ability to mirror off of a receiver there or even run antenna to in the future. Use the type of coax that has been suggested above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts