CALIBRATING THE HDTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dbs2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
PUERTO RICO
When you calibrate your TV with AVIA on a Blu Ray player with one of the many calibration discs available, is the Dish 722K also being calibrated? All my inputs go via HDMI to my bose V-30 and then one output go to one HDMI on the TV and the BOSE does the switching.

Bottom line, what is correct??? I have indepedent memory for all the HDMI but just need one in my setup.

Please advise.
:confused:

No settings within the 722 are being changed, and there is no way to change them.

S~

What do you mean, that when I calibrate using an HD disk I am not doing nothing for my 722 even do it goes into the same input as the BD player on the TV????. That means I have been wasting my time and money thinking I am getting the best DISH picture possible on the STB. Please tell me am wrong.

What you are doing is calibrating the SYSTEM of the TV and the BluRay to provide a calibrated signal on that input (to the receiver and with that disc). It will not necessarily be correct for other inputs. It might not be totally correct for other discs if the signal on that disc was incorrectly mastered.

Fortunately, the common calibration discs are carefully mastered to provide a correct signal. In addition, since the signal is digital, the only analog section in that path is in the TV, and the signal will be correct for the BluRay player.

Now, when you add the 722 to the mix, you are adding the judgement of the engineers at the upliink center to the equation. I am assuming you are using an HDMI connection from the 722. This is also digital and no conversion or correction takes place. Assuming that the uplink engineer is monitoring and feeding a correct SMPTE calibrated image, you will have something as closely calibrated as you can reasonably expect. Again, the only analog path is within the TV.

If you are using component connections there could be errors added in the analog conversion in both the 722 and the TV. Which is one of several reasons you should use HDMI.

What do you mean, that when I calibrate using an HD disk I am not doing nothing for my 722 even do it goes into the same input as the BD player on the TV????. That means I have been wasting my time and money thinking I am getting the best DISH picture possible on the STB. Please tell me am wrong.

Do you actually use the same HDMI input for both the BD player and the 722?

I am assuming he is going through a receiver or switch.

My Bose V-30 has two HDMI inputs and one output that go into one HDMI input on the TV of 4 that it has. When I want to watch Blue Ray I go to the remote and tell the Bose use Blu Ray output. For Dish I also go to the remote and press TV and it changes to the HDMI output on the bose and watch DISH.

Two HDMI inputs and one output on the Bose that uses just ONE HDMI on the TV.

So now, if I use a calibrating disk on my Blu player and calibrate the BD player, since the output goes into the ONE HDMI on the TV I'am I calibrating the 722K???:confused:

No. As jay stated, you are calibrating your TV to the output of the disc from the BD player through the Bose. The settings will affect how your 722 looks, but you are not changing any settings in the player, nor are you calibrating your 722. Wih that said, Dish's picture is pretty accurate. You should get pretty good results using the Avia disc.

S~

yes, as best as you can. You have calibrated with the assumption that the BR disk and/or the signal from the 722 are also properly calibrated. If the engineer in Cheyenne decides he like a blue tint, that's what you will see, but it will be exactly the same blue tint that he put into the signal.

Yes. You have calibrated the TV, the only component in the system that needs calibration.

edit: Thanks, teach. You said it better, but we overlapped.

The main issue with using a blu-player is if it's a reference output, like some Panasonic/Sony/Oppo for example, or if it is in a mode that skews with the image output some.

By most pro accounts, a reference player is OK for calibration with a disc when it's amateur use. As far as the DVR goes, it'd be nice if they all would simply add a pattern like the Tivo HD XL THX model did so you could check a few things.

I've always found if you calibrate the display accurately, most other sources (especially dish/direct boxes) look pretty good. Let's face it, HDTV content is a mixed bag, the only thing I truly expect to be spot on is a Blu-ray movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts