California's proposed ban on large TV's

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
Get ready California, your Gov is getting ready to ban all large screen TV's.

California is set to impose the world’s first ban on energy-guzzling big screen televisions.

Backed by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger, the California Energy Commission is cracking down on giant TVs over 40 inches, which can use as much as three times the power of smaller cathode ray sets.
Maybe somebody should tell Arnold they don't make the other kind any more.

About a quarter of currently available televisions would have to be pulled from the shops, said Doug Johnson, of the Consumer Electronics Association.
California set to ban 'energy-guzzling' big screen TVs | Mail Online

Larry

Too funny...too sad! People want bigger TVs, but they do burn a lot more fuel. Fortunately, the technology is getting better and more efficient: LEDs can use up to 40% less electricity than a similar size LCD. To the honest...if the govenator is going after your big screen TV than perhaps he'lll be coming after our DVRs that use a fair amount of power when not in use.

Dang, there would be a huge outcry about this seeing how there are lots of movie stars that live there and I am sure they would want to keep their tv sets. They probably have projectors as well anyways. Wouldn't some of the newest televisions be energy suffecient enough to still be able to be used that are larger than 40 inches?

I'm as frugal as the next guy but come on , We have to live a life folks. My TV is not on 24 hours a day . And it's lucky to be on at all as of late with the new fall line up.

That was about them "considering" it (back in March), this is about the actual vote scheduled to take place in about two weeks (as soon as November 4). Bit of a difference there.

Arnold's statistics are, as usual, incorrect and misleading. They are comparing new HIGH DEF LCD and Plasma tv's with old analog CRT's. If you compare apples to apples; an HD LCD to a CRT HD, the difference is, in fact, just the opposite. The difference between my old SONY 34" CRT (HD) and my new SONY 46" LCD (HD) is 35 watts, THE OTHER WAY! The CRT uses 280watts and the LCD uses 245watts. Lotta hooey.

Last edited:
This is a big to-do about nothing. Once the regulations go into effect, the industry will simply be prompted to sell large HDTVs with lower power consumption profiles. It's no different from how things were when California had tougher vehicle emissions standards.

This is a big to-do about nothing. Once the regulations go into effect, the industry will simply be prompted to sell large HDTVs with lower power consumption profiles. It's no different from how things were when California had tougher vehicle emissions standards.
Actually it's quite a bit different. Vehicles are licensed by the state, TV's are not. If you think the industry is going to magically re-engineer their product lines because CA says so you are mistaken. They are selling to 49 other states and also world-wide and they know that CA residents can just cross the state line and buy it somewhere else. Power consumption will improve, and is now improving, because it's driven by the marketplace. The point here is that CA continues to pass so-called "green" laws for strictly political reasons by fudging numbers, all the while sliding farther downhill towards bankruptcy.

Actually it's quite a bit different. Vehicles are licensed by the state, TV's are not.
No, that doesn't make it different. There are many things that the sale of which is regulated, that are not "licensed by the state". As a matter of fact, this new regulation just follows-on from similar regulations already in place regarding refrigerators and air conditioners, neither of which are "licensed by the state". This regulation has nothing to do with getting license or registration for something... it has to do with power consumption.

If you think the industry is going to magically re-engineer their product lines because CA says so you are mistaken.
No I'm not. Where are you getting this from? Folks in California don't have to live without refrigerators and air conditioners; they won't have to live without HDTVs. Get a grip, guy.

. The point here is that CA continues to pass so-called "green" laws for strictly political reasons by fudging numbers, all the while sliding farther downhill towards bankruptcy.

Exactly !!

Here's another BS initiative that is about to get passed through this Dec.
MLPA ocean closures.

The Gov and some special interests groups are about to close down many sections of So Cals coast line to any and all access all in the name of saving ground fish. These closures will cost our state upwards of $50 million a year just manage and the state is going to lose 100's of millions of dollars in tax revenue generated from over $4 billion a year in fishing and diving related industry sales from business that will have to close their doors. They are anticipating between 10-12,000 more jobs lost as well.

The F'ed up part of this is that it is big oil and the like of Dow Chemical and other plastic corps that are funding all this. Some believe that they have their sites on off shore drilling and in order to accomplish this goal they will need to "clear any and all traffic" in order to start proceeding.

Hardly anyone, other than the people affected (recreational & commercial fisherman, divers, kayakers, and industry related businesses), know about this.

The Governator and the special interest groups have done a great job keeping this under the radar. This initiative does not need public or Legislator votes. It will be approved by an appointed Blue Ribbon Task Force and Department of Fish & Game Commission.

Get ready to bend over CA.

Folks in California don't have to live without refrigerators and air conditioners; they won't have to live without HDTVs. Get a grip, guy.
Speaking of losing your grip, as well as your freedoms, where exactly did I say folks in California would have to live with HDTV? As a matter of fact I pointed out that all they have to do is shop in an adjoining state. That's what makes it different from vehicles. Vehicles, even if purchased out of state, would still need to meet CA rules in order to be licensed to drive. TV's just get plugged in. Still can't see the difference?

Hehe, well this thread got me curious so I dug out my "kill a watt" power measuring device and gave it a workout. My 5 year old Sony 42 lcd drew 160 watts, give or take a few watts, it fluctuates. My 4-5 year old Walmart 20" crt..I can't remember the brand off hand, drew 60 watts, give or take a few. Seems to be quite a difference.
Also, it is surprising how much appliances draw when "off" and in stand-by mode.

My 67 inch Samsung DLP Television with LED light I got a year ago is rated at 200 watts. Why do these appliances need power when powered off? They are not like satellite receivers that need constant authorization or need to record shows. Perhaps there should be a sensor in the power cord before power hits the tv set to shut them off when you hit the power button.

If they worry about the electric needs of TV's, just wait till they force electric cars on us. How many large screen TV's need to be shut down, so we can drive our electric cars to work?

And daylight savings time is about to end. All those electric cars with their headlights on. Maybe electric cars will get mandated to have the Curly Que CFL bulbs for headlights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)