Problem with You Tube on Apple TV

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Every time I try to exit out of YouTube to the main screen, it’s asking me to confirm I want to exit. If I say yes, I just get a black screen and need to unplug the Apple TV box to get out of You Tube. I did check on line and there is a whole thread of other users who are experiencing the same problem. One solution offered was to use the home button which I haven't tried yet. The theory is that this keeps apps open in ATV memory as opposed to exiting.

This problem just showed up with the latest YT update.

Hmmm, I haven’t seen that on my AppleTV yet.

But, yep, like you said, confirm exit to a black screen. The TV (home) button returns to the TV Home Screen. This has happened before to the YouTube app, so I expect an update soon.

Google has been using a common code base for some time. The first version was more customized for the tvOS platform.

I recognize that the little remote on the gen 4 ATV has lots of cryptic features. But I use an IR Universal programmable remote that I have spent quite a bit of time writing code scripts to handle many functions in my Home Theater. So I use the IR feature in the AppleTV4K as opposed to the RF. Unfortunately, Apple TV does not sent IR codes to capture with an IR receiver I connect to my computer. It only is capable of receiving IR codes for a few of the functions.

There is a way to change the Home Button on the ATV remote in the setup that I will try but I doubt it fixes the issue. There was a suggestion on Reddit that I should delete the YT app and reinstall it but others claim it's in the YT update that is freezing ATV to the black screen.

Before the update, the when I exited from YT it went to the Hone screen. Now it goes to a question whether I want to really exit or cancel. If I select Yes to exit it freezes ATV.

This wouldn't be Apple's first instance of failed software testing.

I've had similar problems on my Roku 3 and Sony smart TV and the "home key" almost always works.
I also saw a conspiracy theory on this issue that claimed Google sabotaged it's own ATV YT app to protest the 30% commission Apple collects when you use the app in You Tube Premium. I got as good laugh about that.

Google has been using a common code base for some time. The first version was more customized for the tvOS platform.
I just checked and the YT app update was last back on October 25th. However this problem just showed up Friday. So I don't think I can blame this on Google, unless they triggered the strange screen questioning the exit request from the server and not the app.

I found this video that is a good review of all the cryptic features hidden in the ATV latest Remote.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHCazOY5vyU&t=110s

I just checked and the YT app update was last back on October 25th. However this problem just showed up Friday. So I don't think I can blame this on Google, unless they triggered the strange screen questioning the exit request from the server and not the app.
If you navigate to the gear (Settings) by swiping to the left and swiping down to the bottom of the menu list, selecting, then navigating to the last entry (of course) App version, the date is encoded in the Version. Here’s what mine says:
Version 2.11.04/web_20221207_08_RCOO​
Device TV (PLATFORM_DETAIL OTT), Apple/AppleTV6-2/Apple 10XFusion/2017, Cobalt (22.Its.7.309441-gold), AppleTV (16.1)​
I take it to mean this was published or submitted on December 7, 2022.

Every time I try to exit out of YouTube to the main screen, it’s asking me to confirm I want to exit. If I say yes, I just get a black screen and need to unplug the Apple TV box to get out of You Tube. I did check on line and there is a whole thread of other users who are experiencing the same problem. One solution offered was to use the home button which I haven't tried yet. The theory is that this keeps apps open in ATV memory as opposed to exiting.

This problem just showed up with the latest YT update.
I noticed the new confirmation on mine (Native TV app) but I don't have a problem exiting it back to the Home screen

I figured out a work around using the tips in the video and some other user suggestions.

I went into settings and switched the Remotes and Devices / TV Button to Home Screen. Now when I hit the button on my Programmable remote it still goes into the exit and screen and then locks up the ATV to a black screen. However, holding that same button down for 2 seconds, it returns to the Home screen bypassing that YT exit screen. :clapping

So that's fixed now so I don't need to unplug the ATV to reset it or dig for the little Apple remote. Remaining question is did these changes I made to fix this problem break something else? Time will tell.

It always mystifies me why software programmers have to break stuff that was working fine.
Nobody asked for that exit screen. But they always have excuses why stuff we ask for is just not possible.

Reactions: HipKat and Foxbat
It always mystifies me why software programmers have to break stuff that was working fine.
They don't have to but bugs happen and sometimes get released into the wild by deftly evading each and every step of the testing regimen.

As HipKat points out, YouTube decided to put a new exit door on the app. Fresh code often results in new bugs. When old bugs reappear, that's when heads should roll.

They don't have to but bugs happen and sometimes get released into the wild by deftly evading each and every step of the testing regimen.

As HipKat points out, YouTube decided to put a new exit door on the app. Fresh code often results in new bugs. When old bugs reappear, that's when heads should roll.
Oh I'm well aware of how code bugs slip by programmers who fail to screen all operations when they change or add something new. It's why some use beta testing but that's not perfect in discovery. I was on the beta test team for Autodesk years ago and Autodesk was so paranoid over security, they only had 13 of us in the testing team. We missed quite a few problems. My job was very specific, to test only the color rendering for broadcast legal colors. For the past year, I've been testing for Tesla and their software frequently fixes things and in the next release breaks it again. Probably self driving software is the most challenging software to get right as people expect it to be perfect and perfect will not likely be achieved until AGI is achieved. AGI is the ability to learn from millions of driver's mistakes and never make the same mistake again.

Keeping up on Apples methodology is entertaining. For a few bucks a Fire device or true Android streamer simply saves bottles of aspirin. I guess I simply find it difficult to join the iPay club. But hey, that's me. Just grab a firestick and call it a day.

I was on the beta test team for Autodesk years ago and Autodesk was so paranoid over security, they only had 13 of us in the testing team.
There are two extremes:

Open it up to all comers and have a few active respondents; some of which carefully document their issues.

Have a limited set of very active testers and don't cover the gamut of features to be tested.

The ideal is somewhere in between where you get all things tested and you have wide participation.

That said, it seems odd that nobody encountered trouble leaving the app in testing or as part of the App store submission. Everyone leaves the app and sometimes more than once a day.

Open it up to all comers and have a few active respondents; some of which carefully document their issues.
I don't know if You Tube ever does beta testing, but you'd think that Apple must have a testing for apps that are on the app store.

With Tesla program, FSD beta uses automatic documentation and manual sending of the automatic log. Most of the testers today no longer get to manually trigger the send button as it was taken away. However, Tesla now only examines your logged video clips when you or the car aborts the FSD during the drive. It made the reporting even easier.

I don't know if You Tube ever does beta testing, but you'd think that Apple must have a testing for apps that are on the app store.
That was supposed to be one of the perks of having the App Store in the first place. All of the applications would be vetted for safety and utility.

Apple also has a pre-release program for iOS but that hasn't worked all that well either.

Reactions: TheForce