Call from Dish Tech

teamw

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 14, 2005
A few days ago I got a call saying my VP622 was reporting signal problems, possibly from the dish being out of alignment. ( I am located on the outer banks of NC and have a 2 dish setup for 110/199 and 61.5.) I hadn't noticed a problem, and a subsequent check revealed a few weak TPs but nothing too unusual. Nevertheless, they wanted to come out to check it out at no expense to me, so they're coming next Saturday.

Is this unusual, or do receivers monitor signal strengths and report problems that Dish then checks out. I found it interesting that in other threads people can't get them to come out for identified problems, while they almost insisted that someone needed to check out a problem I didn't know about.

Most importantly, is it too early for the EA dish. I have the standard DVR package with HD and HD locals out of Norfolk. I saw some question about the EPG, but should I call and push for the new dish since they're coming out anyway. Is all standard fare now on 61.5? I 'd love to get one dish down before hurricane season :).

JohnW

Scott talked about this in his multichannel blog on 5-23-08. It is titled "I didn't know it was broken." Just go to forum jump. Click on "The Satellite Dish." The link to the article is about eight down from the top.

Thanks - I missed that thread. Got the EA info from todays new posts.
JW

A few days ago I got a call saying my VP622 was reporting signal problems, possibly from the dish being out of alignment. ( I am located on the outer banks of NC and have a 2 dish setup for 110/199 and 61.5.) I hadn't noticed a problem, and a subsequent check revealed a few weak TPs but nothing too unusual. Nevertheless, they wanted to come out to check it out at no expense to me, so they're coming next Saturday.

Is this unusual, or do receivers monitor signal strengths and report problems that Dish then checks out. I found it interesting that in other threads people can't get them to come out for identified problems, while they almost insisted that someone needed to check out a problem I didn't know about.

Most importantly, is it too early for the EA dish. I have the standard DVR package with HD and HD locals out of Norfolk. I saw some question about the EPG, but should I call and push for the new dish since they're coming out anyway. Is all standard fare now on 61.5? I 'd love to get one dish down before hurricane season :).

JohnW

No, though the Eastern Arc, DPP 33 switch, etc., etc., were introduced at Team Summitt, they have not been released yet.

Very little info has been passed-down yet. We know there is a "new system" (Eastern Arc), a new Dish (Dish 1000.4), a new switch (DPP 33) coming out sometime in the future. I doubt your tech would even know what you were talking about if you mentioned "Eastern Arc".

The info that Scott and others come by on this board is usually well in advance of it actually getting implemented and out into the field.
:up:up:up to them.

As much time as I spend reading this board (including the summit coverage), I'm amazed that I missed everything on STB Health. Thanks for ref to the pic's Scott. I like the size of the new EA dish too.

JW

Yeah, that's small results of processing customer's STB_HEALTH files, what milking out of DVRs each week.
Perhaps you never saw and they will never expose to public other type of reports, not for public. ;)

Yeah, that's small results of processing customer's STB_HEALTH files, what milking out of DVRs each week.
Perhaps you never saw and they will never expose to public other type of reports, not for public. ;)

Do you think E* will bug subs who have "moved" for HD and are out of the spotbeam of their SD locals?

Not sure this will matter much longer since 129 is going spot. May try final "move" to Kansas City when Chicago 129 HD goes to 61.5 to get EST/CST HD on left coast as long as possible.

My signal is always dropping, and they never call me. I am going to have to call them in the next couple of days. I need to move from the 129 sat to 61.5, but something chewed through the wire that was there originally, so i need them to run a new one for the old dish. I was hoping they would call and offer to come out, but nothing yet.

Do you think E* will bug subs who have "moved" for HD and are out of the spotbeam of their SD locals?

Not sure this will matter much longer since 129 is going spot. May try final "move" to Kansas City when Chicago 129 HD goes to 61.5 to get EST/CST HD on left coast as long as possible.
I could write ad-hock query to their DB to pickup such customers. ;)

Wish they would have called me when m y receiver was going off and on all the time. . . got a new 722 and was doing the same thing. . . . turning off and on off and on. . finally out of kicks I plugged the receiver into another outlet and "thankfully" everything seems to be fine. . interesting though. . because same outlet my 622 receiver has been in and nothing triggered that. . . .

STB Health

You must have your receiver hooked into a phone line for dish to detect your signals. Also the 33 switch came out last week here in Florida... just waiting on eastern arch now. Word that we got is it should be out in October.

Darrin
DRS of Ocala, Florida

Both my receivers are hooked to phone lines and my receiver doesn't reboot often like some experience. I have never gotten a call from Dish. Maybe its just a random process.

I got an email saying my signal was low and Dish offered to come out and fix it. I was not having any problems, but I called them and they came out and wanted to move my dishes to a location closer to the electric meter for proper grounding. It was grounded to a grounding rod, but the techs didn't like it. They installed two new dishes and a new single lnb. Ran all new cables from the dp34 to the dishes and did a very neat job. They used dish 500's, since they did not have a single dish for 61.5, They replaced the couplings on the back of my receiver and on the receiver side of the dp34. Said they were corroded. The cable were ran a lot neater than the previous installer had done. I was very happy with the installation and it did not cost me anything, not even a new commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)