Call to Action - who is ready to be counted?

keith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Here we are in August and my 8+ month old 811 has pretty much all the same problems it had 8 months ago. Dark video, OTA to satellite channel recall that doesn't, black screen timers, daily lockups, yadadadada.

Countless promises of fixes in the next release have been broken.

I am a part of the problem too. See, I have been patiently waiting and waiting, pushing Dish for information and then waiting some more.

Guess what, I really don't want to add "Expert at Waiting for Dish" to my resume.

Here is one very simple thing we can all do. When the 811 misbehaves, call Dish tech support. We will all be able to call at least once per day! Swamp their phone support with angry 811 users. The 921 looks like a flawless product next to the 811.

What can we accomplish? More than we are now, that's for sure.

Anyone else done with waiting and want to take it to the next level? I can see 12 months coming around real soon for me, and I will be stuck with this turkey. No, I won't sell it on ebay. It wouldn't be fair to the purchaser!

My borrowed 6000 is working and it looks like I will be buying it. My friend saw my 811 images and asked "wow, why does it look so bad". I said, nothing wrong, LOL.

Anyway, let me know if you can donate a few minutes per day to the cause. Perhaps we can schedule a daily calling time when we all call simultaneously and get the most attention at Dish. How about noon EST? East coasters are on lunch break, West coasters are just getting in the groove.

Keith.

Count me in!!!!!!!! In fact, I can offer a toll free conference number that all of us can call in at the same time. Let me know what is the final plan.

hzhao said:
Count me in!!!!!!!! In fact, I can offer a toll free conference number that all of us can call in at the same time. Let me know what is the final plan.

Thanks for the reply. For most impact, I believe individual calls will be better but let's see who is in and go from there.

Keith.

Hey, I just saw that P269 is here! Let's see what that brings and then act quickly if we need to.

Keith.

keith said:
My borrowed 6000 is working and it looks like I will be buying it. My friend saw my 811 images and asked "wow, why does it look so bad". I said, nothing wrong, LOL.

Interesting comment .... Was this on Component or DVI? My guess would be dark source material? I went from a 6000 component to the 811 DVI and I noticed a slight improvement on bright material and some loss of detail on the dark side.

I am hoping that 269 will bring out the detail on dark material but time will tell.

WeeJavaDude said:
Interesting comment .... Was this on Component or DVI? My guess would be dark source material? I went from a 6000 component to the 811 DVI and I noticed a slight improvement on bright material and some loss of detail on the dark side.

That was comparing 6000 VGA to 811 component. Yup, the 6000 looks a lot better. Source material doesn't matter, the differences are not subtle.

But keep in mind this is only a valid comparison with my 811. There seems to be a lot of 811 variability, based on users comments in this forum.

I will definitely retest with the new P269 firmware.

Keith.

keith said:
That was comparing 6000 VGA to 811 component. Yup, the 6000 looks a lot better. Source material doesn't matter, the differences are not subtle.

But keep in mind this is only a valid comparison with my 811. There seems to be a lot of 811 variability, based on users comments in this forum.

I will definitely retest with the new P269 firmware.

Keith.

Yes I am very aware of the comparisons on PQ with the 811 varying widely. I would be interested on what the retest indicates. For your sake I hope there is a improvement. The 811 box in terms of speed and usability is a much sweeter box. Themes are actually useful. ;)

I don't recall if you tried the box swap. Might be worth a shot in your case, but my guess is you have.

As for the call in. Well I will have to pass. Can barly keep my head above water at work and my 811 is performing well for me. I hope 269 is the magic bullet. ;)

WeeJavaDude said:
Yes I am very aware of the comparisons on PQ with the 811 varying widely. I would be interested on what the retest indicates. For your sake I hope there is a improvement. The 811 box in terms of speed and usability is a much sweeter box. Themes are actually useful. ;)

The 811 does have significant advantages over the 6000 and the real show stopper has been the 811 horrible crushed black problem.

It's too soon for me to declare victory, but P269 is a big change for the better and I noticed it immediately. Just fixing the crushed blacks will have me returning the 6000 to my friend. He can sell it on ebay. Daily 811 reboots are a drag, hopefully the extended OTA to satellite channel issues are cleaned up.

Keith.

keith said:
The 811 does have significant advantages over the 6000 and the real show stopper has been the 811 horrible crushed black problem.

It's too soon for me to declare victory, but P269 is a big change for the better and I noticed it immediately. Just fixing the crushed blacks will have me returning the 6000 to my friend. He can sell it on ebay. Daily 811 reboots are a drag, hopefully the extended OTA to satellite channel issues are cleaned up.

Keith.

Daily 811 reboots. WOW.. Last time I rebooted my 811 was weeks ago and I have rebooted only a couple times since 268 was loaded. Sounds like 269 did not include the OTA local mapping. I wonder when we might see it.

Hmm seems like allot of folks are getting just some bad 811's! I have not had any issue's with mine so far knock on wood.

WeeJavaDude said:
Daily 811 reboots. WOW..

It happens to me. Watch OTA for many hours, switch to satellite channel and cross your fingers. My wife likes to watch the OTA locals. The OTA HD programs are good image quality, if you can find a program you want to watch.

Keith.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)