Caller ID Stopped Working

markcosenza

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I have both a 622 and 722 receiver. I've always used Caller ID through the ethernet connection for about 6 months without any problem. Suddenly, after Aug 3rd, both TV caller ID's stopped working yet my broadband connection is fine. I checked and both receivers now displayed a "not connected" message for the phone line. My phone line is also fine.. Does anyone have an idea what could have caused this or what I need to check for my router... I tend to think it is something on that end since both receivers stopped working at the same time (and both broadbands are working fine)...

Caller ID comes off of the phone line, not the ethernet connection. Your issue lies in that direction. Have you made any phone changes recently, such as going VOIP?

A phone line MUST be connected to one of the DVRs for CallerID to work.

The DVRs are NOT able to intercept and interpret SIP traffic from your LAN. If SIP traffic exists on the LAN side of the router, it should be restricted to the cable between the router and the SIP adapter and hence, invisible to the rest of the LAN. If your SIP adapter is upstream of the router or part of a gateway device, the VOIP data never reaches the router, much less the LAN.

Well that's interesting because I always assumed it worked through my ethernet before since that's when it started to work (I used to try through a "MagicJack" type of system, but I never got that to work despite it showing a green light - once in awhile, garbage would pop up, but that would be it.) .. but as for the phone line, I'm not sure if it's a VoIP system - it's Comcast Infinity... no changes made at all but I thought it had to have something to do with my router/modem connection mostly because both TV's stopped working at the same time.

So bottom line... what should I be checking for with the phone line / router..

Do you have dial tone at the telephone wire that hooks up to your receivers? If not, go to the other end of that wire, which may be at your modem and see if you have dial tone there.... If you have dial tone there, what is in the middle....

Ok so I figured it out. What happened is the upstairs 622 box has a wireless phone jack and it stopped working. I reseated the plug on the base and that fixed the upstairs box. What I didn't realize was that this affected the downstairs box as well. When I test this box now, it says "remote" instead of the typical "local" (or "not connected" as it did before). So apparently, as long as I have an active Ethernet plug on the downstairs box, the combo of that with active phone connection upstairs is what makes it work'as I have nothing plugged in the phone port on this downstairs box.

So apparently, as long as I have an active Ethernet plug on the downstairs box, the combo of that with active phone connection upstairs is what makes it work'as I have nothing plugged in the phone port on this downstairs box.
The DISH receivers can talk over the power lines if you don't have a network connection.

As long as they can network, they can share the CallerID information.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts