Calling all national heritage enthusiasts.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
I just came across this news article and felt that it is important to get the word out about what is going on, I believe that any attempts by walmart or any other business to build on ground that has historic significance or is sacred to native American burial sites is a slap in the face to the American people when walmart publicly states it has a strong commitment to the community and supports our troops and other civil servants ect ect.

Wal-Mart spurns alternate to Virginia battlefield site | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Home » News
Wal-Mart spurns alternate to Virginia battlefield site
Posted to: News Virginia

* 1 comment

The Associated Press
© July 20, 2009

LOCUST GROVE

Wal-Mart is rejecting another proposed alternative site for a planned Supercenter in Orange County that has angered Civil War battlefield preservationists.

The latest offer comes from Mansour Azimipour, president and CEO of A&K Development Corp.

He said his property, two miles from the Wilderness battlefield, is zoned commercially and ready for development.

But Wal-Mart spokesman Keith Morris said that site was evaluated by the retailer before it selected its site in Locust Grove. He said no other nearby site tops Wal-Mart's final selection on Va. 3.

The Locust Grove site has stirred protests by historic preservationists, who contend it is too close to the Wilderness battlefield.

I'm not a Walmart hater, but I agree that historical sites (especially Civil War sites) do need to be preserved for posterity. Viriginians, fight this desecration of your history as you fought against the Disney theme park in Manassas many years ago.

The proposed store site is across the Germanna Highway from the Battlefield. If it was actually on the site, then I'd worry more.

Looking at that map it could be said that there is possibly more historical finds to be found where Walmart is wanting to build and other parts of the land surrounding the location are labeled as development threats. Look at it this way, would you want a walmart or a kmart on the national lawn or next to Washington memorial?

The proposed store site is across the Germanna Highway from the Battlefield. If it was actually on the site, then I'd worry more.

I don't see the problem either. I think it would be pretty cool to go check out some history across the street from a Wal-Mart. convenient...

Looks like the bigger issue is the Orange Turnpike cuts right through the middle ruining it all.

Looking at that map it could be said that there is possibly more historical finds to be found where Walmart is wanting to build and other parts of the land surrounding the location are labeled as development threats. Look at it this way, would you want a walmart or a kmart on the national lawn or next to Washington memorial?
The parts that the gov't wants to protect are already part of the Fredricksburg-Spotsylvania National Park, and therefore already protected.

The other "development threats" aren't Walmart.

This fight is yet another "Walmart is evil" campaign. Especially since the store is across the highway.

And it's next to impossible to protect every single spot in Northern Virginia that an army marched on, since there were so many battles. The main battlefield itself where the armies fought is already Nationally Protected.

Ok at no point did I use the phrase walmart is evil so lets nip that one in the bud shall we? It's agreed that a turnpike running through it all is just as bad , but seriously would you want any business being constructed there?

Ok at no point did I use the phrase walmart is evil so lets nip that one in the bud shall we? It's agreed that a turnpike running through it all is just as bad , but seriously would you want any business being constructed there?

Sure.. if it creates construction jobs and other jobs...roll with it!

Again, Walmart isn't inherently evil. But every Super Walmart is a magnet that attracts other businesses to the immediate area. Large businesses like Lowes or Home Depot, with a large business and parking footprint. Again, usually a good thing, but not in a historically sensitive area. Find a less sensitive area, build the proper road infrastructure, and watch that area grow.

You didn't, I was referring the to site and the fight against Walmart.
I just pointed out that Walmart is only a small portion of the whole "development threat" shown in the map.

Having retail crap built in Gettysburg hasn't destroyed it's battlefield, this should be no different.

The parts that the gov't wants to protect are already part of the Fredricksburg-Spotsylvania National Park, and therefore already protected.

The other "development threats" aren't Walmart.

This fight is yet another "Walmart is evil" campaign. Especially since the store is across the highway.

And it's next to impossible to protect every single spot in Northern Virginia that an army marched on, since there were so many battles. The main battlefield itself where the armies fought is already Nationally Protected.

+1 :up

A government sets a boundry on an area, be it national park, battlefield, whatever. The land outside that area is fair game, as long as zoning requirements are met.

Hey, I'm no fan of WalMart. I've been boycotting them for over a year. But we need to be consistent. Is a WalMart better or worse than a gas station or a McDonalds? How can you protect land OUTSIDE a protected area? How large is the buffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)