Came to really appreciate Sat-guys today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorcycle_rider

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 8, 2004
Northeast Michigan
Today I joined a different forum and asked a question about something. I did do a search before I posted there and found no direct answer to that question. The first reply I got was an attack basically telling me my question was a wasted topic.

I can say this about here. I have never seen anyone attack someone for having a question no matter what here. People generally are always willing to help out when they can. I give a BIG :up to Sat-Guys and came to realize how freindly it is here. To all keep up the good work and remember not to become a site like the one I mentioned above.

Great Job to Scott and all the Mods and members for keeping this a friendly place to discuss satellite, cable, and other tv formats. And also for the other area's we have the go into other topics.

The "use the search button" postings do occur from time-to-time, but they are far less frequent than on other sites. I think most SatGuys members remember how inundating and frustrating all of this "stuff" can be for a newbie, and that it is better to provide a few help links and general guidance than it is publicly ridicule the newcomer; a friendly point in the right direction will lead to a good experience and foster a free exchange of knowledge. Plus, most newbies will quickly learn how to locate information on the site...especially when you leave search keywords highlighted in the links.

Now, if we can just get rid of that trash receptable known as The Pit...

Today I joined a different forum and asked a question about something. I did do a search before I posted there and found no direct answer to that question. The first reply I got was an attack basically telling me my question was a wasted topic.

I can say this about here. I have never seen anyone attack someone for having a question no matter what here. People generally are always willing to help out when they can. I give a BIG :up to Sat-Guys and came to realize how freindly it is here. To all keep up the good work and remember not to become a site like the one I mentioned above.

Great Job to Scott and all the Mods and members for keeping this a friendly place to discuss satellite, cable, and other tv formats. And also for the other area's we have the go into other topics.

Thanks, you won't get any of that stuff from the other site here. I know when I started on here I probably asked questions that were answered hundreds of times before.

I actually like when someone asks a question. I find that I learn from the answers. Sometimes I even learn something new :)

Especially if it's new equipment that I am thinking about getting.

I must say that in all my years working on satellite systems of all kinds, in getting into FTA I have needed A LOT of extra info. Not once was I told to "search and read". I always got friendly and very good advise! Hats off to all.......I've expanded my satellite universe.

Best Forum

This is the best run forum, I feel it is very professional, up to date with current news and many times before it become current news:) , and if you ever get flame then talk to Scott.

I have said it before but I will say it again, everyone was a newbie at one time which is why we welcome all, and it's why there is no such thing as a dumb question.

And while we are a community, for many long time members it feels more like a family then a community.

We welcome everyone to be part of it.

I really like how that doesnt happen here. I think some forums are filled with know it alls that like to say "look it up", makes them look smarter. As if they have never forgotten anything.

I agree this is the best forum so far that I have came across on the Web.

I came to SatGuys because I knew nothing about VOOM. After they went belly-up, I then had an opportunity to learn about Dish Network...FiOS...and Cable STBs. When I thought I knew it all, I was once again back to being a newbie poking around the Canadian forum. In fact, I had nothing more than a useless box filled with StarChoice equipment, and a drill in hand, until I logged into SatGuys. Immediately, I had a team of experts at my immediate disposal, who were more than willing to answer any and all of my stupid questions - it was better than having the Verizon Wireless network at my side..

It makes me feel like I am intruding into their private club instead of being welcomed as part of it.
I will never forget someone in one of the forums being mad because I used the generic "Buffalo,NY" as where I was from instead of Amherst.

It makes me feel like I am intruding into their private club instead of being welcomed as part of it.
I will never forget someone in one of the forums being mad because I used the generic "Buffalo,NY" as where I was from instead of Amherst.

You hit the nail right on the head with the "private club" comment. It does seem several places have that attitude. Usually I do not join those to begin with because they almost allways have a discussion by the same 5-10 posters.

Shesh I cannot beleive you said you where from Buffalo instead of Amherst :D ...... OK fill me in what is the difference :confused: ????

The biggest problem I have with SatelliteGuys is that we do not cover everything....Near impossible to do. That is why I was joining a different forum.

Anyways I have said my piece and again. SatelliteGuys.US is the best forum, community on the net. There is a sence of family and freindship here.

Shesh I cannot beleive you said you where from Buffalo instead of Amherst :D ...... OK fill me in what is the difference :confused: ????

Basically I would say I was from Buffalo, NY because most people have a vague notion of where in NY that is. If I simply said Amherst (which is a suburb of buffalo) people all think of NY City. The difference? Well, Buffalo is the city and Amherst is a suburb very often "The safest city in America" according to money magazine. Some Buffalo city folks feel the Amherst people are too rich and snobby. Believe me, that is a broad generalization.... I am neither rich or snobby. This person was apparently one of those.

Lol, you are making me both curious and nosy, as to what forum it was, but I'm sure you would have said :p I think "Google it" is worse, because for one, you are being directed away from the satellite forum, and two, searches can yield hours of wasted search time, and still not really get the answer. And most people, i would think, won't ask a second time, so they may end up giving up on the idea(s) altogether. And even though the search function within forums is handy, they also take a lot of wrong turns. I don't consider it lazy, it's just that sometimes FAQs can end up as a bunch of techno babble, when regular words (or fewer words) from someone can bring about easy comprehension.

I don't go there any more but this brought back memories so I looked it up.
lol I did a search!

This is the forum....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=5315727#post5315727

I couldnt find the original post but I found where someone replied to it.

Originally posted by videobruce
If you live In Cheektowaga, you live in Cheektowaga.
If you live in Amherst, you live in Amherst.
You don't live in Buffalo!

If you live Buffalo that much to use the conveinance of the name then move there!

Same goes for Henrietta.............

BTW, the Postal Service doesn't dictate boundries. 75% of 14221 ISN'T in Williamsville!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts