Can a deactivated 921 still record OTA?

Rob Relf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
I did a forum search for this and I'm sorry if it has been answered already. I received a letter from Dish warning me that my annual payment is going up again. I don't watch much TV these days and so my answer to them may be to drop to Top 60 with locals. I currently use my 721 for SD recording and also have a 921 connected to the same TV that I use to record mostly OTA HD. If I drop the 921 from my account but leave it connected to the dish feeds and my antenna, will I still be able to record OTA HD? Will Dish be able to turn off this function if I am not paying a DVR fee? Has anyone done this lately so they can speak from experience? Thanks!

Rob

I believe that if it is deactivated and left connected to the satellite dish, it can still function as an OTA recorder.

Anyone else??

Well, when I had my 921 hooked up before I called to activate it, it did show OTA programming. I could pause/ff/rw/etc.. But the clock on the 921 was not correct (how would it know my time zone?) and of course there wasn't any EPG info.

So it may work, but not to the extent that you might enjoy.