Can a Dish 21.1 remote be made compatible with Hopper w/ Sling?

harcomo

Original poster
May 23, 2013
Missouri
Since upgrading to the Hopper w/ Sling and 3 Joeys, I'm wondering if my old DISH 21.1 remote can be made to work with it so I can have a spare remote? The 21.1 still operates the volume on my setup since I'm running sound through a Sony CT-150 soundbar but the other functions won't work. I'm just checking to see if it can be made to work before I go and order a second 40.0 remote.

Yep! Hit YELLOW - 6 click IR and enable. Make sure the 21.1 is on remote address 1 (Hold SAT, press 1, then #.)

With your help and a Google search, I now have the 21.1 remote working with the Hopper! Thanks.....you guys are awesome!:)

Last edited:
OK, I'm a little electronically challenged here......help me out!:) I've got the 21.1 set on IR and have gone in the Hopper remote manager menu and IR is enabled also. When you're talking about the 21.1 being on address 1 what are you referring to? Then do I hold down, or just push once, the SAT button, press 1 and then # on the 40.0 remote? Pardon my ignorance, but some of this stuff can be overwhelming to me at times!

1.) Follow the instructions the following picture :-

21.1.png

2.) Press and hold SAT on your (21.1) remote control for about three seconds, until all of the mode buttons light up, and then let go of SAT. Use the NUMBER PAD to enter the number "1" and press POUND (#). If you entered the address correctly, the SAT button will flash three times. This does not need to be done on the Hopper (40.0) remote.

Thanks.....that's the way I finally figured out to do it and it worked perfectly the first time! All is well for the time being!

OK I programmed my Hopper 3 using this method and it screwed up my Hopper 3! After it did its reboot it locked up with an error message message 9999 Please Wait Refresh in Progress. Nobody at Dish or the installer had never heard of this, so they replaced the receiver and again I paired the 21.1 to the Hopper and the new receiver did the same thing. I did discover by accident that if I pressed the power button on the remote in front of the Hopper 3 it would complete the reboot. So I called Dish to figure out how to unpair the 21.1 and none of the attempts would work. So then I made a fatal error by turning of the IR function on the Hopper 3 and then after doing the reboot the receive the the work around of pushing the power on the 21.1. So now they have to send me another Hopper 3!
Then like an idiot I got the 21.1 to work a Joey by turning on the IR on the Joey...I now have it working the Joey but my fear is that when I hook this Joey to my new receiver that the problem will come back. MORAL of the story spend the 40 bucks and get at least a 40.0 instead if you like the old style remote better, I hate the new remotes that come with the Hopper 3.

so the 21.1 will not work as a uhf remote for a hopper 3 ??

have 5 or so for my single 722k, for multiple locations. Debating a hopper 3 and some joeys,
would need the 40 remotes for remote locations, (analog modulator to tv's not often used or that don't need a box.)

thanks !!

so the 21.1 will not work as a uhf remote for a hopper 3 ??
Correct. IR works fine, but the RF tech for Hoppers is completely different than VIP. You'll need to budget for new remotes where you need RF.

Got a 50 and 40 from the tech, plus have lots of 21.0 and 21.1 I can use for it.
Wife is enjoying the voice search thing, not sure what I think yet, guess I'm old. Lol

I could use a better translation for using 21.1 remote with hopper (maybe keypress by keypress) for "hit yellow- 6 click IR and enable."

Ran a service call today for an old buddy who still only knows to call me though I've been out for over a decade. Now he has a hopper with sling (even though no internet). Anyway I found the coax burned up from burning leaves, never saw anything like it in 20 dealer years, but I got him going. The hopper is completely inscrutible and the 54.0 remote looks like something from the 90s. Wow.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I could use a better translation for using 21.1 remote with hopper (maybe keypress by keypress) for "hit yellow- 6 click IR and enable."

Ran a service call today for an old buddy who still only knows to call me though I've been out for over a decade. Now he has a hopper with sling (even though no internet). Anyway I found the coax burned up from burning leaves, never saw anything like it in 20 dealer years, but I got him going. The hopper is completely inscrutible and the 54.0 remote looks like something from the 90s. Wow.
With the 54 remote, press Home twice, select Settings, select Remote Control, go down to the bottom and turn IR on.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell