Can a Dish external HD load to a PC?

The operative word is "Component Cables" and not high bandwidth HDMI. Component doesn't carry the HDCP encoding so you can record it. But you are not recording Apples to Apples.

More like Apples to Peaches. An Apple is smooth, glossy and shinny. A Peach is fussy, dull, ....
Both can be eaten, but you can tell the difference. ;)
Hmmm ....
I like Peaches better :D

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell
Operative word here is buy. When you record a program on your DISH DVR you are not buying anything.
You are right. And I would also point out the sleazy crap the movie industry applies to "their" DVDs. They say we didn't buy the movie; we bought the right to play it in a DVD player, and that's it. Scumbags. Had the DMCA been written by somebody other than the movie industry, we would not be in this position today. :mad:

Reactions: joegr and fmj77
In many countries it is perfectly legal to make backups of any DVD or CD that you own as long as you keep it for personal use.
Which countries? Can we travel to one, make our copies, and then bring them back?

Regarding CD's, I do not remember having any such limitation placed on them. Everybody makes CD rippers these days without issue.

Reactions: joewhite57
Which countries? Can we travel to one, make our copies, and then bring them back?

Regarding CD's, I do not remember having any such limitation placed on them. Everybody makes CD rippers these days without issue.
Sony tried to implement DRM on music CDs a while back and it failed miserably.

• Angry
Reactions: TheKrell

Maybe New York, but don’t take your bullet-proof vest.

As long as you're not distributing the content, no one is going to care.
That is correct, you can make as many backups or copies as you want for yourself. It's giving it to others that makes it illegal.

For example, I have the full right to take a video camera or cell phone into a concert. I can video or audio record a concert (which I have with my TASCAM high bitrate digital recorder) even though they say no recordings. You have the right to record it because you bought a ticket to the content of the concert.

You can edit, mix and burn a CD or SD card for yourself to play in your car or iPhone. But if you that DVD, CD or card to someone else, then you are breaking the law.

Ditto the other two replies. If you happen to find some good info about the encryption (I never have) report back... Frankly, I'd be happy just to find someone reporting that they successfully imaged the entire external HD (bit-wise copy, meaning the encryption would remain intact) and were able to recover heir movies to the Hopper using the imaged drive. That should theoretically be possible, but I'm not (yet) ready to go to the trouble based on theory...

Sorry, no you can't do that. Not only are the files encrypted but part of the key is 'your' account number. That's you can't even take your original EHD to someone else's Hopper and try to access it. They won't decrypt because the account number on the file is different than the account number on the Hopper.

That is correct, you can make as many backups or copies as you want for yourself. It's giving it to others that makes it illegal.

For example, I have the full right to take a video camera or cell phone into a concert. I can video or audio record a concert (which I have with my TASCAM high bitrate digital recorder) even though they say no recordings. You have the right to record it because you bought a ticket to the content of the concert.

You can edit, mix and burn a CD or SD card for yourself to play in your car or iPhone. But if you that DVD, CD or card to someone else, then you are breaking the law.
OK, I'll bite. What law gives you the right to record a concert? While you might not be breaking the law by recording, aren't you violating the terms of the agreement (which is what the ticket is) and organizers can throw you out?

OK, I'll bite. What law gives you the right to record a concert? While you might not be breaking the law by recording, aren't you violating the terms of the agreement (which is what the ticket is) and organizers can throw you out?
It all depends on the performer. You can record your heart out at a local pub or park.. most unknown artists will be delighted. But, major concerts won’t allow it. I am talking about entire concert. You have the ability to burn DVDs and distribute them. it happened to me several times. Guards tap on your shoulder and politely remind you. taking pictures is allowed. Recording a song or two, go for it. Security guys are constantly watching people up front and warning them to stop it. Yet, some other performers encourage concert goers.

The "no cameras or video recorders" policy is largely irrelevant these days due to smart phones. Every concert I have been to since around 2009 or so is full of people recording the whole show or large parts of it with their phone and no one says anything about it. Back in the 1970s, 80s or 90s your device would have been confiscated and you thrown out of the building.

I went to a Chris Botti concert at the Green Music Center here in Rohnert Park a few years back. He actually encouraged his audience to take out their phones and video the performance. Some of his concerts are freely available on Youtube.

The "no cameras or video recorders" policy is largely irrelevant these days due to smart phones. Every concert I have been to since around 2009 or so is full of people recording the whole show or large parts of it with their phone and no one says anything about it. Back in the 1970s, 80s or 90s your device would have been confiscated and you thrown out of the building.
I have been to several Joe Bonamassa concerts last few years. People no longer bring their clunky video recorders. Pretty much everybody has a smart phone. Heck, I remember a girl sitting next to me in front of the stage constantly taking pictures and posting them in her Facebook page! It drove me nuts. Anyway, security personnel kept reminding people who were trying to record the entire show to stop it. JoeB doesn’t allow it.

It all depends on the performer. You can record your heart out at a local pub or park.. most unknown artists will be delighted. But, major concerts won’t allow it. I am talking about entire concert. You have the ability to burn DVDs and distribute them. it happened to me several times. Guards tap on your shoulder and politely remind you. taking pictures is allowed. Recording a song or two, go for it. Security guys are constantly watching people up front and warning them to stop it. Yet, some other performers encourage concert goers.
Of course it depends on the performer. PP referred to concerts that specifically say "no recording" and says your ticket gives you the right. I'm disagreeing with him.

I bugs the sh*t out of me when people are recording concerts on cell phones. Then they post their horrible footage on youtube like it is some gem.
I guess if you are into horrible video audio you are gold.
I will take some stills like my awesome avatar of Buddy Guy sitting next to me at the Fox Theater, but a video just wont get it.

p.s.
I know most of you do not know who Buddy Guy is (real shame as he is the last of a long line of blues greats and the best showman) just like I don't know who Chris Botti is. ;-)

The ticket it not a binding agreement under the arbitration laws. The ticket admits you entrance. The content is covered by the UAA Artists agreements, which supersede the ticket for a particular event if taken to court.

I bugs the sh*t out of me when people are recording concerts on cell phones. Then they post their horrible footage on youtube like it is some gem.
I guess if you are into horrible video audio you are gold.
I will take some stills like my awesome avatar of Buddy Guy sitting next to me at the Fox Theater, but a video just wont get it.

p.s.
I know most of you do not know who Buddy Guy is (real shame as he is the last of a long line of blues greats and the best showman) just like I don't know who Chris Botti is. ;-)
I saw Buddy Guy live in 1969. Yes, he is great! Chris Botti is arguably the best trumpeter around today. He blends jazz and pop really well.

Reactions: the mack
I saw Buddy Guy live in 1969. Yes, he is great! Chris Botti is arguably the best trumpeter around today. He blends jazz and pop really well.
I googled him, I could be down for his deal, as I love any good live music.
Super jelly of you for seeing him in 69. Had to be great.

Concerts are the only thing I am really missing with this covid b.s.
it has been almost a year to the date since my last one, Buddy Guy in his Legends club in Chicago. Had planned on seeing at least 2 of the January shows there this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)