Can an OTA antenna be splced into an E* dish?

DirtyMack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 21, 2003
Can an OTA antenna be spliced into an E* dish?

A Dish Network installer mentioned something about an OTA antenna that can be mounted atop the outdoor dish. Since i have an extra(unused) line running from the dish to the back of my TV, would it be possible to mount the OTA antenna atop the dish, and plug the existing coaxial line into my 811?

DirtyMack said:
A Dish Network installer mentioned something about an OTA antenna that can be mounted atop the outdoor dish. Since i have an extra(unused) line running from the dish to the back of my TV, would it be possible to mount the OTA antenna atop the dish, and plug the existing coaxial line into my 811?

If you live close enough to the source(less than 30miles), there are many sites, or stores that sell small local antenna's that will mount on the dish itself, or use another pole mounted to the exsisting dish mount.

Terk makes a model TV42 that clips to the dish, I have had some good results with this, and some misses.

Terk TV42

TheaterWizard said:
If you live close enough to the source(less than 30miles), there are many sites, or stores that sell small local antenna's that will mount on the dish itself, or use another pole mounted to the exsisting dish mount.

Terk makes a model TV42 that clips to the dish, I have had some good results with this, and some misses.

Terk TV42
Thanks! I believe that's the one he was referring to. I live approximately 16-17 miles from the source.
A few questions.
Can i use the same cables that Dish Network uses in their installs to connect this antenna to my 811?

Also, does it matter if the dish is pointing south, but my OTA signal comes from the east?
Thanks!

DirtyMack said:
Thanks! I believe that's the one he was referring to. I live approximately 16-17 miles from the source.
A few questions.
Can i use the same cables that Dish Network uses in their installs to connect this antenna to my 811?

Also, does it matter if the dish is pointing south, but my OTA signal comes from the east?
Thanks!
Yes you can use the same cables, but you must install diplexers to join the signals into the same cable. The TV-42 from Terk has a built in diplexer at the antenna for 2 lines I beleive and comes with 2 indoor diplexers to split the signals back apart.

I also beleive that the TV-42 is semi-directional so getting signals from the east and also from the satellites in the south could present a problem.

Forget the Terk. It's a piece of junk. Get a good OTA antenna like the Winegard GS1000 or the amplified GS2000. Small omni-directional or multi-directional antennas have a lot of multipaths that cause "ghosts" in NTSC or "dropoffs" in HD.

I have a terk 44 on the back of my Dish 500 and in the last 3 weeks I was seeing a pulsation siganl coming over my locals and only my locals. I wrote an email to the techs at Dish and they said it sounded like a uhf interference. Well I unhooked the diplexor off of my main tv and ran it on an unused tuner cable and ran the extra cable to my tv and the pulsation stopped. My Dad uses the terk 42 and you can see a faint visible line over the left side of the screen with his Dish ota setup. He doesn't care since he has a 32 inch tv in a very large room. I have a 50 inch in a 16' by 16' room so I do mind . The main difference between the two terks is the 42 is not suppossed to be amplified where the 44 is . Either way they are not the best way to go.

Thanks for the tips guys. Last night i bought the Silver Sensor indoor antenna by Zenith, and it's not cutting it. Reception changes every few minutes, CBS will come in at 80-90% one minute, i'll change channel and return to CBS a few minutes later and the picture is lost.
There's a rather large outdoor antenna on my roof, i think i'll try extending my extra unused line from my dish to the antenna.

DirtyMack said:
Do you know how much one of those would cost me?

Bubbaclyde mentioned at the other forum that he sells them for $129. Before you spend any money, try out that old antenna. Might just work - my dad's using a rusty old thing he's had on his roof since the 60's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)