Can DirecTV do an HD install before my HD set is in?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Matt Kennedy

Original poster
Nov 14, 2004
Salem, NH
First let me say hello. I have been reading the forum for a while. I finally joined this weekend. It is very informational. I enjoy reading and hope to participate more now that I am a member. I have a question I was hoping someone might be able to help answer.

Background:
My wife and I are moving in to a new home this weekend. As a long time Directv customer I am taking advantage of the Directv move program. I am also taking this opportunity to upgrade to HD (Directv agreed to install an HD dish). I'll be using a new RCA DTC210 receiver I ordered just yesterday from Value Electronics. I am planning to order an HD plasma set next weekend that may take a couple of weeks to come in. I also plan to try to get OTA stations (30 miles from Boston, MA) but likely won't have the antenna installed for a few weeks.

The Question:
Do I need to (or should I) wait for the new HDTV (plasma) set and OTA antenna to come in before having Directv do the installation or could I just use any old existing non-HD TV for the installation? I'm not sure what, if anything they might want to do, in terms of installation, that I might miss out on if my HD set (or OTA antenna) is not here at the time.

Thanks a million!
-Matt

Welcome to Satelliteguys Matt!! :welcome

You can use that HD receiver on a non HDTV for now. You just won't be able to watch any of the HD programming properly.

i would call and ask when they come out to move your dish if u can have the high def dish put in place at that time so they dont have to make a second trip later on :)

Matt Kennedy said:
The Question:
Do I need to (or should I) wait for the new HDTV (plasma) set and OTA antenna to come in before having Directv do the installation or could I just use any old existing non-HD TV for the installation? I'm not sure what, if anything they might want to do, in terms of installation, that I might miss out on if my HD set (or OTA antenna) is not here at the time.

Thanks a million!
-Matt
You do not mention if you are going to have an SD box installed. If so, you are fine and can watch SD TV until you get your HD box. But you will not be able to watch an HD pic until you get your HD monitor. Make sure it's a 3 LNB (triple ODU) dish. Ask them to make 2 drops in case you want to upgrade to HD TiVo! ;)

Thanks for the replies. This is a new house. I left the old SD dish behind so I am going to have the HD dish installed. I was not planning to setup the old SD box but rather install the new RCA DTC210. Not being able to watch HD isn't a problem - my major concern was whether the installer would be able to do a proper install of the HD dish if I didn't have an HD set to connect to when the install was done. Any chance that is the case? If so I'll pospone and just live without satellite for a couple of extra weeks.

Thanks again!
-Matt

I would recommend waiting a couple weeks, get the TV antenna set up and the Plasma TV installed so that you get everything connected while the installer is there. Otherwise you may have to get the installer back on your dime if you find problems with the HDTV install afterward.

It really "doesn't" matter. You CAN watch HD programming on a SD TV, however, the HD STB will downconvert to 480i.

Matt Kennedy said:
Thanks for the replies. This is a new house. I left the old SD dish behind so I am going to have the HD dish installed. I was not planning to setup the old SD box but rather install the new RCA DTC210. Not being able to watch HD isn't a problem - my major concern was whether the installer would be able to do a proper install of the HD dish if I didn't have an HD set to connect to when the install was done. Any chance that is the case? If so I'll pospone and just live without satellite for a couple of extra weeks.

Thanks again!
-Matt
Don't sweat it. Installation of 3LNB is independent of whether you have an HD box or you don't. Installer will peak all 3 sats upon installation. If you were a PARA TODOS customer, you would be using a 3LNB to watch programming from 119. In this case, if you wanted HD, just swap SB box for HD box and your are done!! ;)

Thanks. The main reason for asking was becuase if I wait to activate I really won't have anything until everything comes in which could be a few weeks. Not sure how we'd cope :D As for the installation I am pretty capable myself but just figured since the install is free (Directv Move deal) and I've heard it can be a little tricky for the installer to lock on to the signal from all 3 satellites I may as well let a pro do it for me. I just wanted to make sure that the dish could be effectively installed and tested. Thanks! -M

I had my HD connected before my TV was connected. (Only 1 day) This was not a problem. I simply watched tv in the other two rooms without HD. You will have to set up the STB or have them come back out.

Sorry, not completely familiar with the acronyms yet. I am assuming by STB you mean set top box. If so, I was figuring we set that up initially just to the current non-HD set. Then I figured I'd set it up to work with the HD set when that comes in. Shouldn't be a problem for me as a have a pretty strong technical apptitude and have never had a problem with that sort of thing. Same goes for the OTA antenna and setup. Do I have that right? Thoughts?

Correct on the STB, Its not that hard to to change the output resolution on the HD Boxes - my Samsung 360 has a button on the remote, and my SonySAT300 @ there is a button on the box.

I myself am an "avid" DIY'er (that and I don't trust most contractors - especially here in AZ) I didn't have a problem installing my box, the Dish (3lnb), and all of the associated wiring (along with about... oh 3 miles of other wire in the house)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Samsung Sir-TS360 HD STB lacks coaxial Output

Confused with second dish install for local chan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)