Can Dish get this right?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
http://www.ktul.com/story/19340208/ktul-to-air-football-game-in-place-of-nascar-race

I can already hear all the calls coming into Dish/Directv on Saturday night. Maybe even Cox, Suddenlink and ATT too.

Our local ABC affiliate is going to broadcast the Rams vs Cowboys preseason game instead of the Nascar Race this Saturday night. They have made arrangements with ESPN, so ESPN will broadcast the Nascar race just in the Tulsa DMA Saturday.

Now who thinks Dish will actually get this right on Saturday night?
I am guessing if they do, it will be in glorious headache inducing blurry picture boxed SD on the espn alt feed.

Now who thinks Dish will actually get this right on Saturday night?
I am guessing if they do, it will be in glorious headache inducing blurry picture boxed SD on the espn alt feed.
So, you're wanting DISH to create a special HD alternate version of the channel just for one local small market area for one event? Sounds like you should be griping to your local ABC instead.

No I am not wanting Dish to create a special channel, they are already there. I wanting them to provide the feed that is meant for our region like they do with hundreds of MLB, NBA and college games each year. You apparently don't have a clue that ESPN provides alt feeds all the time for things like this and cable usually doesn't have a problem getting the right feed locally, however being with Dish for 15 years, Dish usually doesn't get it right and when they do, it is in SD instead of HD.

In regards to the local affiliate, this is a first, but I actually agree with them, as locally the Rams/Cowboys game will probably pull in double the audience that the Nascar race will. However I do like to watch Nascar too.

I can from the lake house, but I can't here in town. It's not a big deal. I can always record the replay on Speed, but it kind of defeats the point of watching as the outcome is posted all over the internet by then.

It more of I just want to see how Dish handles it, as we are usually blacked out or Dish doesn't even pick up the alt feed in these instances.

You apparently don't have a clue that ESPN provides alt feeds all the time for things like this and cable usually doesn't have a problem getting the right feed locally, however being with Dish for 15 years, Dish usually doesn't get it right and when they do, it is in SD instead of HD.
Yes, I understand this. I do have a clue. However, I see that ESPN has this happen not that frequently (especially now with so many multiple ESPN channels). I also acknowledge that DISH has to provide the same signal to everyone, and just blocks out those that are not allowed to view it. I think it is good that they at least provide an SD version as they have been for the many years they've been in existence and, instead, have tried to find ways to provide more and more HD signals to customers.

I also acknowledge that for "hundreds" of MLB, NBA and college games each year, they are targeting more than one small media market.

So, you're wanting DISH to create a special HD alternate version of the channel just for one local small market area for one event? Sounds like you should be griping to your local ABC instead.

its not just his market

These markets have football on Saturday night instead of the race
BIlls game
WKBW 7 (ABC; Buffalo)
WHAM 13 (ABC; Rochester)

Lions game
WXYZ 7 (ABC; Detroit)

Cowboys/Rams
KHQA 7.2 (ABC; Quincy IL)
KTUL 8 (ABC; Tulsa)
KRGV 5 (ABC; Harlingen)

so now this brings up something.....that feed for Tulsa is the RAMS feed. The Cowboys feed is on KOTV 6 (CBS; Tulsa)....seriously????
So the ABC in Tulsa has to show a Rams feed OF THE SAME GAME that the CBS in the market shows instead of the race?

Boy I thought the Rams/Chiefs game last week was bad with FOUR different markets having the game on 2 different stations (including Tulsa)

Dish has no problem blacking out ESPN when they are competing with a local RSN for the same game. Hopefully they can change the feed to your DMA the same way. Maybe contacting a DIRT member now so they can notify whoever at Dish to help facilitate it....

its not just his market

BIlls game
WKBW 7 (ABC; Buffalo)
WHAM 13 (ABC; Rochester)

Lions game
WXYZ 7 (ABC; Detroit)

Cowboys/Rams
KTUL 8 (ABC; Tulsa)
KRGV 5 (ABC; Harlingen)

so now this brings up something.....that feed for Tulsa is the RAMS feed. The Cowboys feed is on KOTV 6 (CBS; Tulsa)....seriously????
So the ABC in Tulsa has to show a Rams feed OF THE SAME GAME that the CBS in the market shows instead of the race?

Boy I thought the Rams/Chiefs game last week was bad with FOUR different markets having the game on 2 different stations (including Tulsa)

Didn't even think about being preseason there would be other affiliates preempting it too.
Since OU alum Sam Bradford went to the Rams, KTUL has picked up the Rams preseason package. So yes we get duplicates of the games on 2 channels whenever the Chiefs/Rams/Cowboys play each other in the preseason. Griffin Communications KOTV and KQCW has had the Chiefs/Cowboys preseason package for years.

yeah pre-season is basically whoever wants to buy the rights...so you'll get some weird combos of networks
Example here in Minneapolis the Vikes are on NBC. But outside of that it all depends
KARE 11 (NBC; Minneapolis)
WDIO 10 (ABC; Duluth)
KAAL 6 (ABC; Austin MN)
WKBT 8.2 (MyTV; La Crosse WI)
KCWI 23 (CW; Des Moines)
KGAN 2 (CBS; Cedar Rapids IA) - tape delay
KPTH 44 (FOX; Sioux City IA)
KPTM 42 (FOX; Omaha)
KVRR 15 (FOX; Fargo ND)
KNDX 26 (FOX; Bismarck ND)
KXND 24 (FOX; Minot ND)
KSFY 13 (ABC; Sioux Falls SD)
KOTA 3 (ABC; Rapid City SD)

I guess we are fortunate, we get Nascar on ABC, Cowboys/Rams on My Network and Texans/Saints on CBS all three in HD even.

Didn't even think about being preseason there would be other affiliates preempting it too.

my favorite location is Hawaii. The My affiliate there (KFVE) randomly picks up games
Thursday is Green Bay/Cincy at 1PM
Friday is NE/TB at 1:30PM
Saturday is Oakland/Detroit (well at least Oakland is close to Hawaii) ;)

Love here. I live in range for both WCVB 5 from Boston and WMUR 9 from Manchester, NH. Both are ABC affiliated stations. So usually if WCVB drops a network show for whatever reason, WMUR is showing ABC programming as usual. Now Dish doesn't provide WMUR in HD, but my OTA does. In a case where the Patriots are playing Monday Night on ESPN, both stations will drop ABC programming, but rebroadcast them late night through out the week, so viewers can DVR the missed network programming. Now in a case like the OP's situation, WMUR is the New Hampshire affiliate for Pats preseason, and WBZ 4 is Boston's Pats affiliate. So in Preseason situations, WCVB provides ABC network programming and WMUR carries the game.

Must also be noted that both WCVB and WMUR are owned by Hearst. So they usually coordinate splits, unless it's a news situation.

its not just his market

BIlls game
WKBW 7 (ABC; Buffalo)
WHAM 13 (ABC; Rochester)

Lions game
WXYZ 7 (ABC; Detroit)

Cowboys/Rams
KTUL 8 (ABC; Tulsa)
KRGV 5 (ABC; Harlingen)

What I find remarkable? That you find out and know this stuff. :hatsoff:

Back to the subject looks like more than one market is going with the ESPN route

Buffalo: WKBW airs Bills game live, NASCAR race (ABC) moved to ESPN.
Detroit: WXYZ airs Lions game on main channel. NASCAR race (ABC) airs live on 7.2 subchannel and is JIP on main channel after football.
Harlingen: KRGV airs Cowboys game, NASCAR race (ABC) moved to ESPN.
Quincy: KHQA airs Rams game on "ABC7.2" subchannel, NASCAR race (ABC) moved to ESPN.
Rochester NY: WHAM airs Bills game live on main channel, NASCAR race (ABC) on CW subchannel.
Tulsa: KTUL airs Rams game, NASCAR race (ABC) moved to ESPN.
Those 2 markets where its on a subchnanel..that outta look good ;)

Well it can't look much worse on those sub channels, than what I am afraid it is going to look like on Dish, if they put it on the espn alt channel in sd and picture boxed like espnu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)