Can Dish Network survive as a company?

No, that is just saying that the business is worth less than nothing when all is tolled up... $.6b less than nothing. That's called 'insolvency', on this planet.

DodgerKing they'd tried to merge a couple years ago, but the FCC nixed it.
I realize that, but that was a couple of years ago. A lot has changed in the few years, including the XM/Sirius merger (which can be used as precedent) and the increase in the number of broadcasting sources.

If DISH wanted to compete in the sat industry they could start something new that would floor the competition. They could eliminate all dvr fees with dvr advantage and eliminate all additional receiver or lease fees upto 6 tuners or 3 dual tuner receivers. Then they could advertise the fact in a new campaign that showed DISH that they were helping AMERICA in these recessionary times by eliminating excess fees. They could also advertise the best dvr in the market as well. THis would ATTRACT new subs ,either off the street or from the competition , who would come to DISH because they would of eliminated the extra cable like fees.

Back in the early days of this decade they had NO DVR fees on the 501/508 dvr series and 721 dvrs . Back then they advertised this fact every chance they got and added a slew of new subs. Volume is the answer in these bad times. Sat companies depend on new subs to keep in business. You can't just keep adding more fees on existing subs to make up for the lack of new customers. Eventually they too will churn for the company that offers what they want for LESS money. DISH is actually HIGHER than DIRECTv if you use all hd dvrs and don't sub to AEP. DISH needs to return to its' roots . They were against cable like fees and now they are the worst in the industry for them.

5.98 PER DVR FEE
5.00 NO PHONE CONNECTION FEE
6.00 FOR SD ADDITIONAL RECEIVERS
7.00 FOR HD ADDITIONAL RECEIVERS
39.99 for external hard drive access on 612/622/722 dvrs
39.99 for external hard drive access on 211k receivers

Pay per views are also higher ;
4.99 sd pay per views
5.99 sd pay per views recorded on DISH portion of hard drive
5.99 hd pay per views
6.99 hd pay per views recorded on DISH portion of hard drive

Compare to DIRECTV
5.99 per HOUSE DVR FEE
FREE if no phone connected
4.99 per additional receiver fee for sd AND hd receivers
FREE if you add own external hard drive on any hd dvr.

Pay per views -last time I checked in June.
3.99 for sd movies
4.99 for hd movies
Similar price for downloaded movies from internet.

You wonder why DIRECTV is doing so much better than DISH today and it isn't because of more hd? It is the fees baby. DISH has become the SAT Cable fee king. Hd helped them attract some new subs but only 23 % of the country has an hdtv in their homes , so this is not the reason why DIRECTv is kicking DISH's ass.

DIRECTV also has better advertising with big stars and the message is witty and incorporates some of the most well known movies in history. Yes their dvrs suck in comparision to DISH's but I am sure that this won't be for ever. They have now redone a deal with TIVO to make new tivo directv dvrs.

They are also in more outlets than DISH, including both Circuit City and Best Buy. THen there is the ease of adding programming without needing an accounting degree to figure out what you are subscribing to. ONE 9.99 tech fee on any hd receiver and you get all the channels in your programming pack -including family pack. ONE dvr fee per account unless you sub to their dvr advantage pack version. They also don't charge you 10.00 for extra hd pack of channels -only 4.99.

Charlie might better reconsider pricing some of these fees in order to attract new subs . If he doesn't reconsider his fee structure he might find his sub count continuing to drop in every quarter. The Recession is forcast to last till spring of 2010 or later. THIS is the time to grab more customers and make them DISH subs. He could always go back up on his fees later once the economy recovers.

I agree with DWS44. Besides the issue of having univeral high speed (like >10Mbps) the current system will need to stay in place. Plus in case joeyjojojnr missed it a number of cable and DSL providers have announced that they are going to implement bandwidth caps, you go over it and you pay more.
I have already expressed concern to my ISP (Comcast) about the bandwidth caps. While I currently stay well within the allowed range, I'm afraid of what's going to happen when on-demand HD programming becomes the norm. It won't take much to fly past the cap.

I have already expressed concern to my ISP (Comcast) about the bandwidth caps. While I currently stay well within the allowed range, I'm afraid of what's going to happen when on-demand HD programming becomes the norm. It won't take much to fly past the cap.

Yeah, IF that became the norm, everyone would have a problem. Hoewever, as dodger said, there are FAR to many areas that dont aproach that speed on an average. There are too many now that dont have broadband of anykind. I just cant see on demand becoming the norm anytime soon (even up to 10 years)

When I look at the last four quarters on that page I don't see where they have more assets then liabilities. ALso, the last four quarters see a large jump to the negative in the Net Tangible Assets with only one quarter seeing an improvement then the next quarter seeing a larger loss again:

Net Tangible Assets ($2,814,494) ($2,777,048) ($3,117,334) ($681,367)

Read your yearly chart again assets period ending dec 2007: 10,086,529, liabilities: 9,446,540

They have more assets than liabilities. In theory if they were to close out dec 2007 they would owe 9.4 billion but be able to collect 10 billion or have 600 million left over. 2006 was 220 million, so they improved over 2006.

Echostar and Dish split so it is hard to say what the current situation is.

Read your yearly chart again assets period ending dec 2007: 10,086,529, liabilities: 9,446,540

They have more assets than liabilities. In theory if they were to close out dec 2007 they would owe 9.4 billion but be able to collect 10 billion or have 600 million left over. 2006 was 220 million, so they improved over 2006.

Echostar and Dish split so it is hard to say what the current situation is.

I am not looking at what they did in 2007 but the last four quarters starting with lasts. Remember the last two quarters they actually lost subscribers over the prior quarter, doesn't matter what they did a year ago.

And the title of this thread is can Dish survive, not Echostar, don't care what the split did, they have to live with it now.

Read your chart again assets period ending dec 2007: 10,086,529, liabilities: 9,446,540
You don't have a degree in finance, so I don't expect you to understand these things. But for those who do understand finance, please look here:
DISH: Competitors for DISH Network Corporation - Yahoo! Finance

It's a comparison of Dish with competitors. First notice that Dish has twice as many employees as Direct, and yet is earning half the money (Net Income). Quarterly Revenue Growth is 66% less than Direct's -- this is future income, and bodes ill.

For those who are weeping tears of dismay over Dish's being 'victimized' by local carriers, please note their 43.76% profit margin. I don't know of any other business that makes that kind of profit, do you? Yet still it's 6% less than Direct.

Now; here's a key metric which indicates the confidence of the market in Dish: P/E, or the Price to Earnings ratio. Dish stock has crashed by 72% in the past year, bringing P/E to a paltry 5.82. Everybody else's is over 17! This means Dish isn't even desirable as a takeover target.

I hope Dish doesn't go away, as we need competition. But until they stop this philosophy of punishment of employees, customers, techs, dealers, etc, their performance will continue in this nosedive.

I know this isn't what you lot in the Dish Marketing Dept want to know, but facts, are facts.

You don't have a degree in finance, so I don't expect you to understand these things. But for those who do understand finance, please look here:
DISH: Competitors for DISH Network Corporation - Yahoo! Finance

It's a comparison of Dish with competitors. First notice that Dish has twice as many employees as Direct, and yet is earning half the money (Net Income). Quarterly Revenue Growth is 66% less than Direct's -- this is future income, and bodes ill.

For those who are weeping tears of dismay over Dish's being 'victimized' by local carriers, please note their 43.76% profit margin. I don't know of any other business that makes that kind of profit, do you? Yet still it's 6% less than Direct.

Now; here's a key metric which indicates the confidence of the market in Dish: P/E, or the Price to Earnings ratio. Dish stock has crashed by 72% in the past year, bringing P/E to a paltry 5.82. Everybody else's is over 17! This means Dish isn't even desirable as a takeover target.

I hope Dish doesn't go away, as we need competition. But until they stop this philosophy of punishment of employees, customers, techs, dealers, etc, their performance will continue in this nosedive.

I know this isn't what you lot in the Dish Marketing Dept want to know, but facts, are facts.

Even that chart shows Dish's PROFITS nearing 1 billion dollars. How do you say a company that is making almost a billion a year on sales of 11.5 billion is in danger of going out of business....

Well they says we gonna get some HD/chs BY end of the jan/FEB09 well see lol... they said we get those by dec/08 in SEP..now is next year! they just behind the D/TV they got those channels like months ago!
however i dont think dish last till end of the next year..since FEB09 AT&T gonna drop dish and partner with D/TV!!
Then dish really gonna go down the darin each month...will we see!!! but hope not.. just gettin scary!

Last edited:
Even that chart shows Dish's PROFITS nearing 1 billion dollars. How do you say a company that is making almost a billion a year on sales of 11.5 billion is in danger of going out of business....
Again, you're not understanding what I'm saying.

Any idea why Dish and Echostar were split? Dish has all the revenue, and Echostar has all the costs.

After installing Boxee, I don't think *any* major TV service providers will survive in the form/size they currently do in 5 years.

Provided the networks get on board (as they seem to be doing) we'll be getting *all* of our tv programming via the internet.

With satellite being back as a provider for mainly those living in the country like it did in the old days. Other forms of wireless internet technology will be coming out in which will allow broadband in the country which will give those in rural areas access to IPTV as well. IPTV is going to continue to gain momentum. Just look at how far youtube has come along and now they are doing HD and widescreen.

Dish has nothing to worry about and is one of the few companies out there actually hiring right now.

Thats because csrs and dish installers churn faster than DISH's subs. They get very little in the way of pay for their troubles. I would consider them on the same pay level as convience store workers.

With satellite being back as a provider for mainly those living in the country like it did in the old days. Other forms of wireless internet technology will be coming out in which will allow broadband in the country which will give those in rural areas access to IPTV as well. IPTV is going to continue to gain momentum. Just look at how far youtube has come along and now they are doing HD and widescreen.

I only see iptv becoming mainstream IF the government, under the new president ,does what he says he would do and expand the existing internet. Right now most internet providers are charging customers MORE who use more internet bandwith for downloading movies , music ,etc. This has to change along with the economy improving , banks lending etc before satellite has to worry.

Unelss there is a nuclear war, people will keep their TV service. I'd have to get pretty damn hungry before I cancel HBO.

Unelss there is a nuclear war, people will keep their TV service. I'd have to get pretty damn hungry before I cancel HBO.

No joke. We've cut our going-out budgets and spend all of our money at home. We cook on the grill a lot, drink cheaper wine (so what?) :) and spend more with Dish Network.

First of all, there are not even 150 channels of national HD to broadcast, so DISH is behind no one there

I see people say this over and over, and I don't understand why.

Based on the way you and I and every other customer would count, this is true. But based on whatever math they were using when they said they had 116...it would be a snap to get to 150 if they wanted to, even without adding more PPV or RSNs.

The fact is, there are plenty of factors at work, but a lack of channels calling themselves "HD" is not one of them. The main problem aside from money is that there's going to be a ton more available in the next year or so. Filling a slot now may mean not having a slot later for something more popular.

As for them being "behind", I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but the fact is DirectTV, Verizon, and even Comcast have a lot of stuff that DISH doesn't. But for me, DISH is on top of Direct, because I mainly watch movies and DirectTV is way behind on premiums. (And I don't have access to anything but satellite.)

Millions of SD subs out there that don't care a lick about HD. They are still singing up hundreds of thousands a quarter (just not keeping up with churn the last 2 quarters). They will be fine for a while.

I'm certain there are a number of subs that don't care about HD but they are an ever shrinking segment. Think about it. These past couple of years virtually every TV sold was an HD TV and going forward, HD's are all that's being sold and people are not going to settle for SD content when they have an HD TV.

Add to this the statement by FOX a few days ago where they announced a 2 year program to go completely HD by Jan 1, 2011 at which time they will eliminate all SD transmissions. This surely will cause the other networks to follow suit to keep from being left in the technological stone age.

The time when HD becomes the standard and what we call SD today will be regelated to what will be called low resolution third rate fare (probably used primarily for infomercials) is closer than you think.

There is a point to my rambling consistant with the title of this thread and that is that long term if Dish is to survive, while it would be nice to be the HD leader it is necessary to be at least equal to Direct in the HD content area.

Last edited:
I'm certain there are a number of subs that don't care about HD but they are an ever shrinking segment. Think about it. These past couple of years virtually every TV sold was an HD TV and going forward, HD's are all that's being sold and people are not going to settle for SD content when they have an HD TV.

Add to this the statement by FOX a few days ago where they announced a 2 year program to go completely HD by Jan 1, 2011 at which time they will eliminate all SD transmissions. This surely will cause the other networks to follow suit to keep from being left in the technological stone age.

The time when HD becomes the standard and what we call SD today will be regelated to what will be called low resolution third rate fare (probably used primarily for infomercials) is closer than you think.

There are also lot's of people who have not bought a new TV in years. My father likes to brag that he has never bought a new TV. Also, a lot of people buying HDTVs wouldn't know HD if it hit them in the nuts. Or, they don't care. SDTVs have been hard to find, so of course people have been picking up HDTVs. That doesn't mean they are immediatlely going to go shopping for additional HD programming.

And while Fox is broadcating in digital HD, it is very easy to downconvert to SD. pleanty of customers ale already getting that as Dish and Direct prepare for the digital transition.

We are the early adoptors, and we are the most educated. Just becuse HD adoption will increase doesn't mean everyone will educate themselves to our level on HD.