Can Ebay bought receivers still be activated as owned?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jake14mw

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Central Connecticut
I have multiple TVs in order to Watch Sunday Ticket. I would like to have an interactive receiver for the new fantasy tracker feature. None of my receivers are interactive capable. I only want this receiver activated during football season, so if I got a leased one, I would have to return it to them when I deactivate it at the end of football season right? If so, that would not work for me.

So I am thinking of just buying a D10 from ebay so that it could be owned, and I could just deactivate it and keep it at the end of the season. Would this work?

edit: changed loaned to owned in the last sentence. I'm not loaning it to anyone :)

Last edited:
jake14mw said:
Nobody knows the answer to this?
D* knows the answer and will be the one that determines the status. My guess would be Directv branded receivers would be considered leased receivers, D10 is Directv branded.:)

jake14mw said:
So I am thinking of just buying a D10 from ebay so that it could be owned, and I could just deactivate it and keep it at the end of the season. Would this work?
It does not matter where the receiver comes from, as soon as you activate it, you are committed to pay for D* programming for at least 1 year, maybe 2. :flag:

mcbeevee said:
It does not matter where the receiver comes from, as soon as you activate it, you are committed to pay for D* programming for at least 1 year, maybe 2. :flag:

Thanks for replying. I don't care about the commitment, I am concerned about it being leased vs. me owning it. And the only reason I am concerned about that is so when the football season is over, and I don't need it anymore, I can just deactivate it, but not have to send it back to them so that I can use it again next year during Sunday ticket time again.

Call and ask they are the ones that make the final determination. It dosen't make any difference if you get 100 opinions here or not, Directv is still the one that determines if it goes on your account as owned or leased.

boba said:
Call and ask they are the ones that make the final determination. It dosen't make any difference if you get 100 opinions here or not, Directv is still the one that determines if it goes on your account as owned or leased.

Well said.

jake14mw said:
I guess there is no need to ask any DirecTV questions here then. You just need to call and ask a knowledgable CSR.

No, that is not what was meant, the question was subjective because things like account history come into play, we do not have access to your account information, nor can we predict what a CSR will try to 'pull' on you, would you prefer we just throw guesses out at you?

jake14mw said:
I guess there is no need to ask any DirecTV questions here then. You just need to call and ask a knowledgable CSR.
There is no way for anyone on this board to know how D* will respond to your situation, since they have had different responses for different people since the leasing policy started. I still don't know how you can deactivate a receiver after 4 months of football without breaking the 1 year commitment?? :confused:

As far as the commitment goes, commitments are tied to having DirecTV service, not to a particular receiver.

Also, yes, I do realize that I can call DirecTV and ask them what the policy is. We all know the problem with that though. Many times they will give different answers. I figured that someone who reads this board would have had experience with this. If two people posted that they have done this recently, then I would feel confident in playing CSR roulette in getting it done.

This is no different than many other questions asked here like:

Do I have to buy a new access card for a used receiver?
Do I have to have a phone line attached to my receiver?

If you call and ask, many times they will say yes, but by reading what people post here you learn that it is not always true. Just looking for what people have read or experienced here. Thanks for your replies.

jake14mw said:
As far as the commitment goes, commitments are tied to having DirecTV service, not to a particular receiver.

Also, yes, I do realize that I can call DirecTV and ask them what the policy is. We all know the problem with that though. Many times they will give different answers.

That is what we are trying to tell you now, that is what you will get here, you will get different answers, so it would be no better than the CSRs, as, again, we cannot tell you what WILL happen, we can only say, sometimes you'll get it marked as leased and sometimes you won't, it's roulette, we aren't trying to play games with you, or be dicks.

jake14mw said:
I figured that someone who reads this board would have had experience with this. If two people posted that they have done this recently, then I would feel confident in playing CSR roulette in getting it done.

You would be correct, in which case the Search function would be far more efficient since, by your own guessing, this question has been asked and replied to 100 times over, the fact is, nothing we, or even the search results say will have any effect on CSR roulette whatsoever, it will only increase data points, which will be statistically meaningless, since the CSRs are too inconsistent, therefore, the only meaningful data you may get, is something you already know, if you bought it, and they make it leased, you have to call them and bitch until they put it as owned, this may or may not work (it would likely depend on your account standing and heart level, neither of which we are privy to), see, no help there. :\

jake14mw said:
This is no different than many other questions asked here like:

Do I have to buy a new access card for a used receiver?
Do I have to have a phone line attached to my receiver?

This is different, as we know the criteria for those 2 issues, it is black or white, while for this one, we do not, only D* does, there is too much inconsistency wrt the lease/own question, but right now I am just wondering what you are insinuating here, perhaps that we just don't want to help you? do you think that we all got together and decided to snub you?

Last edited:
YES, you can activate it as owned, however you better check with the person you purchase it from because if they are a dealer and expecting a commission (from D*) for a new customer, they won't be getting one. I'm sure you thought of this but why don't you just deactivate one of your other receivers?

Commitment

The answer is actually quite simple, if the rcvr has never been activated on an account then yes there is a commitment. If it has been activated and the original owner completed the original commitment then the rcvr can be activated without a commitment. Hope this helps.

Once you have a valid and current DIRECTV subscription, you can add and subtract receivers as desired. However, you pay an addl. charge for every receiver you add. I would never buy a receiver off EBay or lease one as the prior status of the access card would determine whether you could use it or not. You cannot know that without checking with the CSR. It is true that you will get a million opinions, and on top of that, a different answer from different CSRs! I would recommend however, that you get a D-11 (latest model) rather than a D-10 for the best interactive stuff.

Bought an H20 from one of the bigger eBay sellers 2 weeks ago. It was dropped shipped from nearby and I got it in two days. Replaced my Samsung that was acting up and called D*. Told the CSR I'd bought it, not leased and she took care of it with no problem and no questions asked.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I would be comfortable risking $15 on an ebay on a used D10 now.

randyk47, was your H20 used or new? If it was used, did they make you buy a new access card?

Rethink This, I did a google search on the receiver models and read in a thread or two that with a software update, the D10 was functionally the same as a D-11. Do you know of any features that it has that a D10 doesn't? The D11 certainly looks alot nicer, but that doesn't matter to me since it's just an extra for Sunday Ticket. The D11s go for a little more on e-bay.

I guess I'm over-analyzing things, I have to call tonight to activate my spare HD receiver, I'll see what they say about them not having an HD receiver available that handles full interactive stuff. Maybe I can bargain an HR-20 out of them! I know, not likely, but we'll see how the conversation goes!

randyk47 said:
Bought an H20 from one of the bigger eBay sellers 2 weeks ago. It was dropped shipped from nearby and I got it in two days. Replaced my Samsung that was acting up and called D*. Told the CSR I'd bought it, not leased and she took care of it with no problem and no questions asked.
I suggest you check you account again I bet that receiver is showing up as leased irregardless of what the CSR told you.:)

Boba- Already have and it is shown as owned and I'm not being charged.....been there, done that. How much do you owe me on the bet? :D

Jake - It was brand new. Still had the original D* seals on the box and actually didn't come from the seller but a drop shipping electonics firm in Dallas. When I called D* I did exactly as the eBay seller instructed and D* had no problem. Again, I have checked, and actually checked again after Boba's posting, and I am not being charged lease/rental for the second unit...actually either unit as I have an H10. About to replace that when the locals come up in HD on D* but that date has come and gone so many times that D* has given up even guessing at a new start date other than "soon".

Last edited:
jake14mw said:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I would be comfortable risking $15 on an ebay on a used D10 now.

Make sure that the previous owner does not owe D* any subscription balance on that receiver. Otherwise, you would have to pay what is owed on it before they activate it for you. That could be more costly than buying a brand new receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)