Can HD 811 Receiver take IR remote controls?

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2004
East Coast
I have an old DISH Network IR remote (grey buttons that supposedly comes with 2800 receivers) that work with HD 811 receivers but other IR remotes from 301 receivers don't seem to work with the 811. After talking to Advanced Tech., the 811 is NOT supposed to take IR remote control signals but here I have an old remote that can operate one. So what's the deal? Does it work with some or only with this particular IR remote?

The reason I ask is I have a customer with a universal touch pad remote that's IR-based and would like to program it for use with a 811. If the 811 can take many IR signals then maybe the universal IR remote will work. Just wondering what everybody's experiences have been. Thanks!

Yes, the 811 works just fine with IR remotes! The 811 came with a UHF antenna, and the remote that comes with the 811 only sends signals in Sat mode through UHF! But any IR remote WILL work with the 811. I use the remotes that came with both of my 301's, and a all-in-one URC-8810 learning remote! Perhaps your customer's 301 remote is set to a different address or something, I don't know. But I do know both of my 301 remotes work just fine with my 811!! My all-in-one branded remote, works just fine with my 811, it's a learning remote, and I had to use my 301 remote to teach it a few commands, (the #, sys info, and * buttons were the ones I had to teach it, the rest worked with the code) the only reason I used my 301 remote is because the teach remote menu was more complicated.

The 811 has a function under Diagnostics that allows you to teach a learning remote the commands to operate the 811. It uses the IR blast to send a signal to the learning remote, so that it can operate your 811 using IR, so of course it works with IR, it sounds to me that their advanced tech is a idiot!

tonyp56 said:
Yes, the 811 works just fine with IR remotes! The 811 came with a UHF antenna, and the remote that comes with the 811 only sends signals in Sat mode through UHF! But any IR remote WILL work with the 811. I use the remotes that came with both of my 301's, and a all-in-one URC-8810 learning remote! Perhaps your customer's 301 remote is set to a different address or something, I don't know. But I do know both of my 301 remotes work just fine with my 811!! My all-in-one branded remote, works just fine with my 811, it's a learning remote, and I had to use my 301 remote to teach it a few commands, (the #, sys info, and * buttons were the ones I had to teach it, the rest worked with the code) the only reason I used my 301 remote is because the teach remote menu was more complicated.

The 811 has a function under Diagnostics that allows you to teach a learning remote the commands to operate the 811. It uses the IR blast to send a signal to the learning remote, so that it can operate your 811 using IR, so of course it works with IR, it sounds to me that their advanced tech is a idiot!

D'oh! You're absolutely right. I forgot about the learning feature on the 811. I've never had to have my installers use that feature since the 811 remote sends out IR signals as well and is universal. I gotta check the 301 receiver remote addresses. I didn't know that 301 remotes would work with the remote address set the same. Thanks for the tip! That advanced tech. needs better training. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)