Can I add 61.5 sat myself?

Marzen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
I live in Cleveland (zip 44111), can I add the 61.5 sat myself for local HD channels?
My check switch indicates I'm receiving 110 & 119 currently.
A level check of 61.5 transponder 1 indicates a sporadic level of 57.
I have the following:
Dish 500 triple LNB
DP34 switch
Vip622 rcvr

You can do anything you want to.. If you think you are able to buy, install, and peak your own dish then go for it. However, with the info you have given, I don't really know what your present set up really is.. Never heard of a Dish 500 triple LNB. Dish 500 have twins generally. Not sure why you have a DP34 switch with just one receiver. And with what I see, any level you are seeing on 61.5 has to be incorrect. You setup doesn't come close to seeing 61.5. It requires a second dish.

_Thanks for the reply. I must be mistaken about the antenna model, that's what shows up on the 'Point Dish' screen and there's no model info printed on the antenna itself. I have a DP34 switch installed because we have 2 receivers.
_I'm not keen on having another dish antenna installed, and I did successfully relocate mine after a new roof was installed.
_Any reasonable chance that locals will be moved to another bird for spot coverage?

I'm just south of you (44135). Cleveland HD locals ARE on spotbeam from 61.5, have been since launch. If you want HD locals (which if you're like me, you have a lot of trouble getting WKYC and WOIO OTA right now, so you probably do want them), 61.5 is our only option. They are likely to stay put.

If you have a Dish 500, I still don't get why you need the DP34. They typically are able to power 2 recievers without an external switch.

With some argument, some in the area have been able to get a wing dish insatalled for free, though some have been asked to sign a 24 month commitment.

But if you want to give it a go, try this EKB: Add a 61.5° Dish to Your System for basic info, but I'm not sure when it was last updated.

Thanks for the link on how to add another dish ant. I see now I have a Dish 1000 ant installed after we upgraded to HD service and had 3 receivers at that time.
I just threw out a single DTV dish :mad:. Our contract is up in a month so we may just jump ship after that. I think I'll lurk around in the DirecTV forums and see how the grass is on the other side.

You will find the grass is about same on either side really for normal tv viewing. Can you install a 61.5 dish yourself, yes you can. My guess is you have one of the earlier dish 1000's with three feeds into a DP34 Switch. Get you a dish point it at 61.5, and make sure you use a DishPro LNB. Unhook where the 129 is hooked up and hook the 61.5 in its place. Run a check switch on each receiver and done. I know I ran through this pretty quick but if you decide to stay with dish. Ask and I or others will slow down, and talk you through how simple it can be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)